Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Broadband in Maynooth

Options
  • 05-08-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there,

Just wondering if UPC broadband is available in Straffan Wood estate.

If not what services are availalbe and are they any good?

Thanks for your responce.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just up the road and we have Digiweb metro and very happy with it.
    We rely on broadband heavily so need speed and reliability .

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

I have Eircom in SW. It works great, but definitely not cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm in Silkenvale and have UPC. No problems with the service. Call them up and they'll tell you if it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UPC is not available in Straffan Wood. The estate was wired by e-nvi who went bust, and their assets were bought by Smart who have also gone bust. Hence there is no cable or cable BB available.

Additionally, the estate is, along with Kingsbry, wired to the Maynooth Business Campus exchange rather than the Moneycooley exchange, meaning that the cheaper 8Mbit packages are not available.

So its 40 quid for 3Mbit on Eircom/Vodafone and that's basically it. Nothing else available on wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They can get UPC tv though right? Do the two not come hand in hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,821 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »
    They can get UPC tv though right? Do the two not come hand in hand?

No. As I said, the estate's cable is dark - it was supplied by e-nvi who went bust. UPC is entirely not available in Straffan Wood.

In addition, Kingsbry has UPC TV and no BB due to old cabling that they're having serious problems addressing - the two are not linked that closely. They do have, or had, the old fashioned analogue cable phones, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There is a UPC address checker here:
    http://www.upc.ie/map/

When you click Check give it 10 seconds or so to come back. It appears to be doing nothing but it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Stiffs

up the road from you - i use three. Good service bought the plug in router & 2yr plan. Can't fault it except the customer service. Its an indian service centreand they don't give a flying F**k about you.

30euro pm

Advertisement