Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French and Irish learning resources

• 05-08-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone, I'm going into 6th year in September and I was just wondering whether anyone knew any good french t.v. shows, podcasts, films and youtube content to help me study for the leaving cert in a more relaxed and enjoyable way. I watch '7 jours sur la planète' on TV5 and write down all new vocabulary and I've watched one or two old french films on youtube and I read le monde quite a bit. So yeah I'm always up for new ways to learn because it makes a nice change! It would be great if people had similar suggestions for Irish!
    Thanks in advance :)
    (Oh yeah this is my first ever post, so I'm sorry if I've done anything wrong)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

French music is so helpful and absolutely not tedious or anything, it's fun. :P

Coeur de Pirate is my favourite. :) Look up the lyrics, learn the words' meanings then when you listen to the song a few times you'll know every word. It's great. :D

Kinda works for Irish, but yeah, it's Irish so there arent many songs outside of Gaeltacht ones. It's no fun. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 D.J. Shore

I'll look her up now :) Probably just trad music (of which I'm not a fan lol).
    I suppose that just watching TG4 would help for Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Haha same, French music is much more poppy, its nice.
    TG4 sounds like your best bet, sadly. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

http://lurgan.biz/ has some great songs, modern and trad.

Great way to improve Gaeilge is to listen to the regional news on R na G after the main news, gets your ear tuning into the various dialects and help vocab too.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Reading Foinse is an excellent way to prepare for your Irish exam. We had a weekly subscription at school which was very good value but it comes free with the Independent on Wednesday anyway. Foinse also does a section for the leaving cert called Foinse sa Rang I think which I found excellent for essay topics, prose, poetry and also the oral. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 D.J. Shore

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement