Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase Protection with Visa Card ?

Options
  • 05-08-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

I'm meant to be going on holiday in a weeks time, but my wife is in hospital and so I'm going to have to cancel.

Stupidly, I don't have travel insurance, but a friend has told me that as I bought the holiday on my Visa card, and as I'm cancelling it for medical reasons, I can probably get my money back from Visa.

Anybody know if there's any truth in this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Redjeep! wrote: »
    I'm meant to be going on holiday in a weeks time, but my wife is in hospital and so I'm going to have to cancel.

Stupidly, I don't have travel insurance, but a friend has told me that as I bought the holiday on my Visa card, and as I'm cancelling it for medical reasons, I can probably get my money back from Visa.

Anybody know if there's any truth in this ?

It depends who issued your Visa card, AIB, BoI, PTSB, etc..

The "AIB" version is mainly focused on Accidents while travelling..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

It depends who issued your Visa card, AIB, BoI, PTSB, etc..

The "AIB" version is mainly focused on Accidents while travelling..

It's an AIB card. I don't reckon there's any truth in it, but it's got to be worth checking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What options do VISA offer? I have a VISA debt card with Ulster Bank. Same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You should check with AIB. Some of the higher end cards may include it. For instance I think the platinum card with BOI has travel insurance included in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Very unlikely. Unless its a premium card which comes with comPrrhrnsive travel insurance as part of the package.

The "travel insurance" that is sometimes included with basic cards is very limited on scope - so much do it generally covers you only when you are actually travelling (i.e. if you were on a flight and it crashed..not before/not after). To all intents and purposes, it's pretty much useless. I'm not even sure if it's offered all that much anymore.

Otherwise no there is no magic "money back from Visa" provision just for paying because you paid by card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Very unlikely. Unless its a premium card which comes with comPrrhrnsive travel insurance as part of the package.

The "travel insurance" that is sometimes included with basic cards is very limited on scope - so much do it generally covers you only when you are actually travelling (i.e. if you were on a flight and it crashed..not before/not after). To all intents and purposes, it's pretty much useless. I'm not even sure if it's offered all that much anymore.

Otherwise no there is no magic "money back from Visa" provision just for paying because you paid by card.

Yeah pretty much agree with this. I never go without travel insurance these days, have annual cover for it which helps for these situations. Was hospitalised a few years back and missed a holiday and was raging about it as forgot to get my travel insurance which would have covered me.

Advertisement