Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"J.K on the radio"

Options
  • 05-08-2012 10:37pm

Anyone know whatever happened to John Kenny who used to present the rock and metal show on 2fm on Sundays?

Or, possibly more importantly, is there any podcasts being made now that come close to what he played/promoted?

I remember he played the judgement night album for what seemed like a month!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He does the sport on radio 1. Not sure why they stopped this show. Twas good, but I suppose Dan Hegarty plays some heavy stuff. I can't understand why they don't have a metal show on the radio these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Because its not "mainstream" and highly payed RTE executives dont like heavy music.

iRadio had a good rock/metal show for a few years presented by a friend of mine but they are gone "mainstream" now too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

He's doing a lot of the Olympic coverage now on RTE 2.

Always find it gas that he used to do the rock and metal show. Man that was the best thing on RTE at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Silverfish wrote: »
    He's doing a lot of the Olympic coverage now on RTE 2.

Always find it gas that he used to do the rock and metal show. Man that was the best thing on RTE at the time.

It was great
    The "Sound Cellar top 10 at 10"

Sound Cellar <3

Is that still open? They wouldn't sell me a Carcass t-shirt. Raging at the time, but that was very responsible of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Listened to him religiously back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My band was played (twice?) i think in the demo section.

He'd have Zag (from Zig and Zag) on every christmas for a best of the year round up. Seemed strange at the time, until i found out much later that the guy who plays Zag loves hard rock/metal.

My band was played (twice?) i think in the demo section.

He'd have Zag (from Zig and Zag) on every christmas for a best of the year round up. Seemed strange at the time, until i found out much later that the guy who plays Zag loves hard rock/metal.

Was more than twice, I'm fairly sure. Twice in the demo section, then once or twice on ye're own merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It was a good show and I listened most weeks but I don't think John Kenny had much of a clue of what he was on about. i always thought he got the job because the executives in RTE saw him wearing a leather jacket or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

He's a major Rush and Cheap Trick fan (or was, anyway)....

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    Was more than twice, I'm fairly sure. Twice in the demo section, then once or twice on ye're own merit.

seems like a lifetime ago, doesnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

He sure was/is ... I used to work in the Soundcellar and he always came in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Was the intro to JK on the radio done in a weird scouse accent if i remember correctly followed by the intro to Whole lotta Rosy by Ac/Dc??

I used to listen to it every sunday night in the dark in my room,. no interuptions!! Thems were the days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

loved that show, Butthole Surfers, Fear Factory, Propain etc. got my first listen on that show of lots of new good metal early 90s stuff.
    Sound cellar is class , bought Heartwork there last week. Reminded me of years ago when I was in Dublin in college I used to go in there and browse for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Was in sound Cellar last week, the guy behind the counter was ranting about how Ryan Tubridy had 'ruined the Late Late Toy Show' for him! Anyhoo, here's a thread I started about J.K.'s show

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195104

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

This was a topic on MI ages ago and JK posted (apparently):
    Thanks for all the interest in a show that left the airwaves 11 years ago, over 4000 views is impressive stuff.Just to answer some of the questions.The show and indeed myself ran out of steam.I had no back up and in fairness to Tommy in the sound cellar, he kept me abreast of the scene when no one else, (bar you guys) showed any interest, so I quit it and went full time into sport (there is nothing wrong with cricket by the way).

As for my gaffs at times, yes there were a few but there was so much stuff to go through and as the show was only part of my week it was tough to keep on top of it at times with no one to turn to so apologies if they pissed you off.

But overall the vibes for the show were good. its still great to know that I introduced you to new sounds, bands and interviews and heres to the bus drivers who put up with the whole ****ing lot of you Very Happy
    jk on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

The quote "I had no back up and in fairness to Tommy in the sound cellar, he kept me abreast of the scene when no one else" kind of compounds an earlier post suggesting that Kenny didn't really know to much about what he was playing. Then again gig listings etc. were not as easy to source back in the day.

Thought 'TV on the radio' had way more passion for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

'TV on the radio' - they were the days! Listening to the BBC's Friday Rock Show on a very patchy medium wave signal in the late 1980's ( and Fluff Freeman's saturday night/sunday morning show - not 'alf!). Then all the pirates were taken off air by the end of 1988 and I could pick it up on FM (until the legit local stations went on air and clogged up the airwaves).

But before JK's show on 2FM (which I never really liked to be honest) we had Tom Hayes' show on the old Capitol FM in Dublin, also in collaboration with the Soundcellar. And around 1989/90/91 there was a Metal show on twice a week on the station that used to broadcast out of Bray...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

seems like a lifetime ago, doesnt it?

Slightly off topic but in the interest of old school listening habits I dusted off 'Sympathy' the other day, still a ****ing great tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

yknaa wrote: »
    The quote "I had no back up and in fairness to Tommy in the sound cellar, he kept me abreast of the scene when no one else" kind of compounds an earlier post suggesting that Kenny didn't really know to much about what he was playing. Then again gig listings etc. were not as easy to source back in the day.

Thought 'TV on the radio' had way more passion for the music.

I always thought he was a bit out of his depth, especially during interviews. He obviously had a script of questions with likely responses but when they didn't answer with the expected response he got lost. As I said before I don't think he was a big metal fan and that he just got thrown into it. Some of the stuff he used to get wrong would be stuff a fan would know off the top of his head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Funny he mentioned about bus drivers putting up with metalheads!

I remember being on a public bus one night and the show was on. Bus full with the Sound cellar top 10 on. A fair chunk of the music was death metal too, there were some horrified faces, driver must have been deaf as it was fairly loud, class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I met him before an Ireland match years ago when he was working for RTE Radio. Was like meeting God so it was... thanked him for all the great memories of the metal show.

viadah wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but in the interest of old school listening habits I dusted off 'Sympathy' the other day, still a ****ing great tune.

Then my friend, if i have my way I may be obtaining the key to the vault. making no promises, but theres unreleased stuff hidden away, i just have to get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

I met him before an Ireland match years ago when he was working for RTE Radio. Was like meeting God so it was... thanked him for all the great memories of the metal show.

If I ever get to meet the main man and he turns out like JK I will be majorly disappointed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

What about Dad Rock on Today FM, has to be the worst name ever for a radio programme.

Advertisement