Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know of or remember Motty Lane?

Options
  • 05-08-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Can anyone help me to figure out where Motty Lane is or was - in Kilkenny City. There's a big debate going on in my family and none of the maps of the town seem to show where it is or was.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Best I could come up with is that it's off James Green. Perhaps there between the Garda barracks and the Green?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pdmc

That's what we're thinking here alright... in which case this would be the entrance to Motty Lane from James' Green.

http://goo.gl/maps/bqgMt

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

according to rootsweb captain havoc could be correct,it leads onto james green,hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pdmc

Yes... I saw the roots web entry with the poem about the lanes of Kilkenny earlier. Apart from that all I could find was census entries which mention it but give no account of it other than that.

Thanks for your replies!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

pdmc wrote: »
    That's what we're thinking here alright... in which case this would be the entrance to Motty Lane from James' Green.

http://goo.gl/maps/bqgMt

That's where I was thinking also, it's not marked on any old osi maps either, let us know if/when you find out, I'm curious now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

I grew up listening to stories about Motty lane, My grandparents had a farm across the road from the garda barracks until the corporation bought it and they were forced to move

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

call into the city hall. they have very old maps of kk.. poss be able to shed some light on the lane mystery..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

So has anyone a definate answer yet, surely a road cannot vanish, look forward to answer

no sign of this lane from maps 2012 to 1818.. i even checked a 1748 map
    it may be a local name not an official name.. loads of KK street names have changes..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It was in existance in 1911(according to the census), and the only street that changed names around James park since 1911 is from Stephens St to Kickham street( where the clinic is).
    I suspect it is the small section of DeLoughry place which leads on to James Green, as Deloughry Place was built and named well after 1911 but that lane was in existence before then.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,650212,655925,7,9

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    It was in existance in 1911(according to the census), and the only street that changed names around James park since 1911 is from Stephens St to Kickham street( where the clinic is).
    I suspect it is the small section of DeLoughry place which leads on to James Green, as Deloughry Place was built and named well after 1911 but that lane was in existence before then.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,650212,655925,7,9

I asked an elderly relative, she says it went from the garda barracks to near the Black Cat, unfortunately the elderly relative wouldn't have the best memory.

The small section of what is now deloughry place ( house numbers 1 – 6 just off james green) was previously know as Hospital lane. There was also a Cavalry horse barracks with a black smith there in the past.

I located this information : -

Irish historic town atlas – Kilkenny

By John Bradley

Mauty, Mooty or Motty Lane : - Part of Orphan house Lane 1841 - Mooty lane 1850, Mauty lane 1889, Motty lane 1895.

The house now called “the powder house” was previously know as Orphan house. Thus orphan house lane.

Orphan house lane is now Dominic Street (location of Garda station)

There is a map of Kilkenny city cira 1842 which shows Orphan house lane. Now Dominic street .

in 1842 what is now Kickham street was know as Stephen street. (what we now know as Stephan street, was an extension of Orphan house lane)

Mauty lane/motty lane. doesn’t appear on the Griffiths valuation maps prepared after the famine, 1847 – 1864 .

Not on cira 1842 map

Not on the old six inch maps of kilkenny . 1899

I asked an elderly relative, she says it went from the garda barracks to near the Black Cat, unfortunately the elderly relative wouldn't have the best memory.

your relation was correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Michael Walsh

pdmc wrote: »
    Can anyone help me to figure out where Motty Lane is or was - in Kilkenny City. There's a big debate going on in my family and none of the maps of the town seem to show where it is or was.
    My Father was born in No.7 Motty Lane,
    I believe Motty Lane is in the region of DeLoughry Place & Garda Barracks.
    M.J.Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1 axemangraphics

Michael, I have recently learned of a member of my family (Named Michael Walsh!) who was born at 7 Motty Lane. I am thinking you are related to me! This post is the only thing to come up on a google search of the address...

My name is Patrick, and I live in Melbourne, Australia. Doing the family tree has led me to the 1911 Census, giving me the names of Michael and Kate Walsh.

I would love to talk a bit more with you, if thats possible... maybe via email or Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I think Motty's lane went between James Green and the Black Cat.
    x1k19e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

My understanding is that Motty lane lead from the old Blackmill Bridge (near the Black Cat) up through what is now Dominic St., Stephen's St and Jail St to join the Old Callan Rd. at the Lighthouse. The old Irish name was Lana na mBhaithin (the road of the sticks), have no explanation why it was called that.

Advertisement