Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going "Solid" - what to do?

Options
  • 05-08-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

The prices for SSDs have become so reasonable, that I finally took the plunge - so a OCZ Agility 3 240GB will arrive next week from Overclockers.co.uk

I will use this guide I found: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds for all the setup bits. But I was wondering what to put on the SSD, and what to leave on the "old" drives?

I can't decide if it is worth it to move my Steam to the SSD, and if the benefits really are there.

The only applications I know I will put on the SSD is Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects - beside that I am not 100% certain - and input would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Edit out that guide quick b4 Monotype sees it.:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79945490&postcount=76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Outside of games, put everything on your SSD you would need a serious amount of programs to fill up 240GB. I have 55GB free from a 128GB SSD and that's with I think 3 games currently on it.

Mono covers it all pretty well in his SSD guide, I would take a read of it. Take special note of SteamMover and how to install steam and your games to the SSD then move the games to a HDD once your finished playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I got a larger SSD recently, moving a bulk of games to it and I have to say, I didn't really notice that much difference in speed with the game loading times. I've only played a few so far, so maybe I'll see it as I've tried a few more. Of course, I didn't really notice that much moving to to SSD apart from fast startup in the first place, but now whenever I use a HDD based system, it feels like I'm in the stone age.

As Fluffy says, make use of the steam mover if you want to have a very big library of games. You can afford to be quite generous with that amount of space, maybe install steam to the SSD and move games you don't use as often to the HDD rather than the reverse - unless you want like 500GB of games at your fingertips. You probably won't go over 50GB with regular applications, including the Adobe suite.

BTW, I made that guide mainly because other ones around the net are going completely overboard with their "tweaks".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »
    I got a larger SSD recently, moving a bulk of games to it and I have to say, I didn't really notice that much difference in speed with the game loading times. I've only played a few so far, so maybe I'll see it as I've tried a few more. Of course, I didn't really notice that much moving to to SSD apart from fast startup in the first place, but now whenever I use a HDD based system, it feels like I'm in the stone age.

As Fluffy says, make use of the steam mover if you want to have a very big library of games. You can afford to be quite generous with that amount of space, maybe install steam to the SSD and move games you don't use as often to the HDD rather than the reverse - unless you want like 500GB of games at your fingertips. You probably won't go over 50GB with regular applications, including the Adobe suite.

BTW, I made that guide mainly because other ones around the net are going completely overboard with their "tweaks".

i found loading times a lot alot better. i am not even talking about BF3, which is a pain in a hole to load from hdd.
    TDU2 loading are way faster.
    SR3 way faster
    Shogun 2 way way way faster
    i even threw my sc2 in to ssd and it loads a lot faster now too.

one thing i have to say: you get used to fast speeds way to fast. then you get very picky and bitchy: " omfg! how dare this thing even show me loading screen! its on SSD!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Shigun 2 or BF3 off a HDD - like playing games on mt CPC464 with a tape drive again.

Bear in mind BF3 = 20GB, Shogun2 = 25GB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

What about Skyrim?? When it's on an SSD you cant even read the little tips on the loading screens. It's almost like a challenge now to see who is fast enough to read the tips :P

I depends on the game really some like Skyrim benefit hugely from being on an SSD others you will hardly notice any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    What about Skyrim?? When it's on an SSD you cant even read the little tips on the loading screens. It's almost like a challenge now to see who is fast enough to read the tips :P

I depends on the game really some like Skyrim benefit hugely from being on an SSD others you will hardly notice any difference.

Skyrim is an odd one - 5GB how did they get it so small!

Skyrim is an odd one - 5GB how did they get it so small!

Considering it is all copy paste content I am surprised its so big!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

And the drive just arrived - I will follow the guide made by Monotype - fingers crossed!!

P.s. I expected such a SSD to be heavier - pleasantly surprised, as i al already thinking a bout snug installation using double sided tape.

Akvavit wrote: »
    And the drive just arrived - I will follow the guide made by Monotype - fingers crossed!!

P.s. I expected such a SSD to be heavier - pleasantly surprised, as i al already thinking a bout snug installation using double sided tape.

double sided tape? fancy!
    I just connected my one and threw it in somewhere in the hdd bay! :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement