Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fowarding Ports Issue

Options
  • 05-08-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So after nearly all my games having crap connections or unable to connect i decided to forward ports.. I made a static IP on my ps3 and put it into the DMZ on the router.. I started with using the Little Big Planet 2 ports and now I can actually play online.. I then added the Fifa ports but still nothing is working.. Can you have multiple ports at same time? Or does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Also tried the MW3 ports there and they don't seem to work, some of the ports tangle with other ports for example one port may be 3658-3659 and then theres 3658-3658 do I remove one of these if so which one?

Also could I use the same static IP for my PS Vita as NEAR will never work for me either?
    Sorry if in wrong forum just want to get this sorted haven't been fit to play MW3 or Fifa in about 6 months..

Btw its a Belkin f5d8635-4 v1

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You dont need to forward any ports if your ps3 is placed in the DMZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

You dont need to forward any ports if your ps3 is placed in the DMZ.

When in DMZ none of the games work though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Gigabytes

I reckon you have a problem with NAT, you want type 1 or 2

Gigabytes wrote: »
    I reckon you have a problem with NAT, you want type 1 or 2

Im on type 2 would changing to type 1 make it better? Only game not working now is MW3 it says my connection is moderate when I finally get in.. Yet my Black Ops is always open connection..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

NAT 2 is what you want. Putting the PS3 into the DMZ is an option but not one I would EVER recommend. You lose alot of Home Entertainment options.

If it's still failing in the DMZ [and all port forwarding turned off] and it still doesn't work...

Who is your broadband provider? Are you using a mobile midband solution, perhaps?

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    NAT 2 is what you want. Putting the PS3 into the DMZ is an option but not one I would EVER recommend. You lose alot of Home Entertainment options.

If it's still failing in the DMZ [and all port forwarding turned off] and it still doesn't work...

Who is your broadband provider? Are you using a mobile midband solution, perhaps?

Do you need to disable ports if using DMZ ? Im on 8mb Vodafone/BT

Do you need to disable ports if using DMZ ? Im on 8mb Vodafone/BT

Port forwarding isn't needed if the PS3 is on the DMZ. However, until we get you setup correctly, the least unneeded configuration, the better.

Remove the port forwarding :)

Also, that router is on the VERY cheap side. It might just not be up to the task. But let's continue...

If you've messed about with the router, trying to resolve this issue, probably the best starting point is to do a factory reset and get normal browsing working from your PC/Laptop. Make sure you keep a note of the Vodafone internet settings [Username, password, other]. This will help keep our un-unnecessary questions to a minimum.

When this is done, do two tests, with NO port forwarding

1. PS3 on normal connection [wired]. Don't do next step if this works.
    2. PS3 on DMZ [wired]. I really don't like doing this.

We'll worry about wireless once we get wired working. WIFI is the easy part once we know everything works.

When you have that done, report back here with your findings. Also let us know what NAT type you have on normal connection and DMZ.

Edit : Actually, as test 3 : From the PS3, also perform an Internet Connection Test [in Network section] for each test above and report results.

Port forwarding isn't needed if the PS3 is on the DMZ. However, until we get you setup correctly, the least unneeded configuration, the better.

Remove the port forwarding :)

Also, that router is on the VERY cheap side. It might just not be up to the task. But let's continue...

If you've messed about with the router, trying to resolve this issue, probably the best starting point is to do a factory reset and get normal browsing working from your PC/Laptop. Make sure you keep a note of the Vodafone internet settings [Username, password, other]. This will help keep our un-unnecessary questions to a minimum.

When this is done, do two tests, with NO port forwarding

1. PS3 on normal connection [wired]. Don't do next step if this works.
    2. PS3 on DMZ [wired]. I really don't like doing this.

We'll worry about wireless once we get wired working. WIFI is the easy part once we know everything works.

When you have that done, report back here with your findings. Also let us know what NAT type you have on normal connection and DMZ.

Edit : Actually, as test 3 : From the PS3, also perform an Internet Connection Test [in Network section] for each test above and report results.

The last time my brother done factory reset our Internet stopped working for a week .. Is it definitely necessary? The router was expensive enough a few years ago I think when we got it.. We had linksys before that and it worked perfect dont know where it is now though.. Going to try all above without factory reset first

The last time my brother done factory reset our Internet stopped working for a week .. Is it definitely necessary? The router was expensive enough a few years ago I think when we got it.. We had linksys before that and it worked perfect dont know where it is now though.. Going to try all above without factory reset first

Fair point, I can understand the hesitation to factory reset. Can you, at least, remove all port forwards [not just the PS3 ones] and connect wired [not wireless] and test?

Optionally, make a note of the Port Forwards you remove for other devices so you can add them back in at a later stage.

By the way, I assume you can browse the internet etc from your computer and have no issues there?

Fair point, I can understand the hesitation to factory reset. Can you, at least, remove all port forwards [not just the PS3 ones] and connect wired [not wireless] and test?

Optionally, make a note of the Port Forwards you remove for other devices so you can add them back in at a later stage.

By the way, I assume you can browse the internet etc from your computer and have no issues there?

I done the above and wired works but can't play games online going to try the DMZ now have removed all ports.. Yes I can browse on computer and do everything perfect.. The last time my brother got it working we had a WPA key would that fix my problem?..

• Advertisement

Nat type 2 on wired with and without DMZ nothing seems to have changed in the connection test when going to DMZ.. Also at the bottom of the screen it says:

The router in use may not support ip fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted

LBP 2 won't work online on DMZ but will with ports... Just MW3 that I can't get working with ports..

I googled
    The router in use may not support ip fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted
    and came up with this. Maybe try amend your MTU?

When you are setting up wired, do you just choose "EASY" on PS3 and let it pick everything up, or do you manually enter all the details?

If you can't find the proper MTU for Vodafone, you can try this method. Shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes.

If you can't find the proper MTU for Vodafone, you can try this method. Shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes.

Will try all that now, just went into router settings and clicked DHCP and it shows IP addresses connected one of them is the iPad and the other seems to be my PS Vita.. Should the IP address for ps3 not show up here?

Will try all that now, just went into router settings and clicked DHCP and it shows IP addresses connected one of them is the iPad and the other seems to be my PS Vita.. Should the IP address for ps3 not show up here?

It should, unless it's in the DMZ. I assume when you put it inm the DMZ, you enter manual entries on the PS3?
    Let's forget about the DMZ for the moment, and only revisit unless we have exhausted all other avenues.

So, generally this means just choosing the EASY option in the PS3 Network menu. Also, do whatever you have to do on the router to take it out of the DMZ. Confirm that you have the same network as your iPad and Vita.

So if your Vita is 192.168.0.101, your PS3 should be 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is some other number. If it's ANYTHING else, we have issues.

It should, unless it's in the DMZ. I assume when you put it inm the DMZ, you enter manual entries on the PS3?
    Let's forget about the DMZ for the moment, and only revisit unless we have exhausted all other avenues.

So, generally this means just choosing the EASY option in the PS3 Network menu. Also, do whatever you have to do on the router to take it out of the DMZ. Confirm that you have the same network as your iPad and Vita.

So if your Vita is 192.168.0.101, your PS3 should be 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is some other number. If it's ANYTHING else, we have issues.
    I fecked the whole internet up, so i went to restore factory default and now internet is not working at all.. Dont know what connection type i should be using tried ppoe etc.. How could i get it reset to what it started as because pressing reset button does nothing.. Using a phone now.atm

Nasty but got what I wanted :)

From this:
    Enter the following
    VPI = 8
    VCI = 35
    Multiplexing = LLC

Select PPP Over Ethernet (PPPoE)
    enter your vodafone@vodafone.ie as the username and broadband as your password.

Nasty but got what I wanted :)

From this:
    Enter the following
    VPI = 8
    VCI = 35
    Multiplexing = LLC

Select PPP Over Ethernet (PPPoE)
    enter your vodafone@vodafone.ie as the username and broadband as your password.

Is the wan ip going to be .1 or .254?

According to this, you can get to the admin page at 192.168.2.1 [Assuming full factory reset]

If that's what you mean by WAN address.

According to this, you can get to the admin page at 192.168.2.1 [Assuming full factory reset]

If that's what you mean by WAN address.
    I was typing in a different password so that may be the problem, now i cant get into that address .. Prob end up getting in after a while

• Advertisement

If you have a PC, run a command prompt

type

IPCONFIG /ALL

The default gateway will be the ip address of your router. Should be 192.168.2.1
    If your IP address looks "wierd", maybe DHCP isn't enabled on factory reset. Maybe give your PC an address of, say, 192.168.2.50 just to connect and configure router.

Try pinging router

PING 192.168.2.1 from same command prompt.

Maybe turn it off for 30 seconds, then on again. Try log in again.

If you have a PC, run a command prompt

type

IPCONFIG /ALL

The default gateway will be the ip address of your router. Should be 192.168.2.1
    If your IP address looks "wierd", maybe DHCP isn't enabled on factory reset. Maybe give your PC an address of, say, 192.168.2.50 just to connect and configure router.

Try pinging router

PING 192.168.2.1 from same command prompt.

Maybe turn it off for 30 seconds, then on again. Try log in again.
    No computer just ipad.. I van connect to the adress on ps3 but cant change anything for some reason..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From https://twitter.com/AskPlayStation

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=280

May or may not help you. I didn't read it but remembered this thread.

F1ngers wrote: »
    From https://twitter.com/AskPlayStation

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=280

May or may not help you. I didn't read it but remembered this thread.

Disconnected media server no luck, thanks anyways... It works an odd time after about 10 minutes, but some times it could take an hour..

Advertisement