Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who you thought would never amount to anything but are now successful

• 05-08-2012 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I think most of us knows one of these.. I was in school with a guy who did nothing at school, was always in trouble and clowning around. He was quite a cocky git and always said how he was going to be a professional jockey winning all the big races, we were all like ''yeah right''. He is now one of the top jockeys in UK(not mentioning names of course) with group one wins behind him and very rich indeed. I in no way begrudge him any of it but occasionally have to pinch myself that this is the same clown I was at school with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember seeing a man on the Late Late show in the nineties and said he was going to bottle water and sell it

Irish people buying water :rolleyes:

I laughed at him. Was in secondary school at the time and we were talking about him in business studies

Now he owns Ballygowen and I'm stoney broke :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I really thought people would be sick of Jedward by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

WumBuster wrote: »
    He is now one of the top jockeys in UK(not mentioning names of course) with group one wins behind him and very rich indeed.

go on, give us a hint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I'll tell ya's when I'm Older! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I think most of us knows one of these.. I was in school with a guy who did nothing at school, was always in trouble and clowning around. He was quite a cocky git

Johnny Murtagh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

fryup wrote: »
    go on, give us a hint

My lips/fingers are sealed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Know a couple. Also know a few of the opposite types, people you though would go on to great things who amounted to nothing thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This is gonna sound like such a dick thing to say, but I think I am that guy to some people. Not that I'm crazy successful or rich or anything, now, but I'm hanging in there. As I came out of myself and stopped being a little wannabe schmad lad, a lot of people started thinking I was crazy saying stuff like "I'm gonna do this and this," and so on. You know, as if I was a bastard for having any ambitions above "get an apprenticeship, cus that's where all the money is."

Then I did it. Again, not crazy successful by any means, but some landmark moments with people who would've looked down on me either saying "Fair play," or going the other direction. They were there and judged me when I said it, now they can see it all play out in front of them.

It's horrible when you feel like you're starting out, have a setback, and feel as if you've wasted your life and everyone would've been right to begin with. So it feels good when those moments happen. :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Johnny Murtagh?

Nope not him. As I said, I know the guy and Im not mentioning names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I think most of us knows one of these.. I was in school with a guy who did nothing at school, was always in trouble and clowning around. He was quite a cocky git and always said how he was going to be a professional jockey winning all the big races, we were all like ''yeah right''. He is now one of the top jockeys in UK(not mentioning names of course) with group one wins behind him and very rich indeed. I in no way begrudge him any of it but occasionally have to pinch myself that this is the same clown I was at school with.

Do you live in Athlone or Ballinasloe?

• Advertisement

Kurz wrote: »
    Do you live in Athlone or Ballinasloe?

neither. Lets just get this thread back on topic and share your stories about what i said in op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

neither. Lets just get this thread back on topic and share your stories about what i said in op

Sorry, it's just that I know a guy who fits the same bill and is now one of the top jockies in the UK too. Must be a jockey thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Richard Hughes? :p

go on, give us a hint
    My lips/fingers are sealed ;)

ah, go on

just a teeeny tiny hint....his initials

Look guys, I didnt want the thread to turn into this guessing game. Im not giving anymore hints. He's a nice fella, Ive a lot of time for him and i certainly wont be plastering his name all over boards.ie about his performance and conduct as a teenager at school. I was just using his situation as an example that being good at school is not everything in so far as being successful and achieving your goals/dreams in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

You underestimate the stupidity and complete lack of taste of the irish nation

Look guys, I didnt want the thread to turn into this guessing game. Im not giving anymore hints. He's a nice fella,

ruby walsh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Your idea of success may differ from others. Not everybody goes on to be rich and famous nor does everybody want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I immediately though of those two when I saw this thread title..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The richest person I know who I went to school with is now famous as a presenter abroad. again, a goof off in school but some of us believed he might do it. No names.

One thing to learn - the A students tend not to become rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Circa 1993 some nerdy lads in school were waffling on about how computers and something called the "internet" were going to change the world and how they were going to get great careers as a result. I thought it sounded like a load of bollocks.

20 years later and they have done very well - succesful developers in London, probably on well over 100k p.a.

ruby walsh

I just said Im not giving any more hints. Plus i also said he's a nice fella..

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Circa 1993 some nerdy lads in school were waffling on about how computers and something called the "internet" were going to change the world and how they were going to get great careers as a result. I thought it sounded like a load of bollocks.

20 years later and they have done very well - succesful developers in London, probably on well over 100k p.a.

That's the exact opposite of the school failure, though. And not very rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

this thread is infuriating, just name the people ffs!

I don't know any successful people come to think of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I've received reactions from people I went to school with over the years that makes me feel like one of those people.

I dislike it, I'm a humble person.

I just said Im not giving any more hints. Plus i also said he's a nice fella..

Haha, just don't post in the thread until it's dropped dude. It's just people being nosy. The more you reply, the more they'll ask etc.

paky wrote: »
    Your idea of success may differ from others. Not everybody goes on to be rich and famous nor does everybody want to.

Everybody has a different view of what success is, that isnt my view at all. I suppose I should have put the thread title as ''famous'' or ''wealthy''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

100k a year is rich in my opinion, quite rich!

Piriz wrote: »

100k a year is rich in my opinion, quite rich!

Ah, London is the home of the super rich. Starter houses are affordable to those on 70k or more. So for London its a moderate salary. Most bankers get more as a bonus than that and they are 20% of the working population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Kurz wrote: »
    Sorry, it's just that I know a guy who fits the same bill and is now one of the top jockies in the UK too. Must be a jockey thing.

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Went to a school with a chap who was a busy body. I think everybody hated him. Always gossiping and always wanting to know everybodies business and had to be at the center of everything going on. He got into antiques right after the leaving cert and he was doing that for a few years when he bought some painting or sculpture or something, Im not sure what exactly it was, but he bought it for next to nothing and then a year later it turns out its worth near 3 million :eek:

People popping into my head now.

Girl I went to school with...quiet enough, kinda moany, not particularly bright (though not dumb either...just didn't stand out as one of the 'smart kids'), nobody would've fancied her much either...turned up in later years as an RTE TV presenter. She's pretty fit too, these days.

Actually, I know a fair few girls who were real ugly ducklings and ended up being models. Proper models, too, not this 'pay a photographer for a fancy photo shoot' deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Look guys, I didnt want the thread to turn into this guessing game. Im not giving anymore hints. He's a nice fella, Ive a lot of time for him and i certainly wont be plastering his name all over boards.ie about his performance and conduct as a teenager at school. I was just using his situation as an example that being good at school is not everything in so far as being successful and achieving your goals/dreams in life.

Lester Piggott.

Lester Piggott.

How did you ever guess :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Meh....... it's K Fallon, he's not just a top jockey but he's also a boardsie you know.

Anyway, back on topic, there was a guy in my class up to Inter (Junior) Cert, he failed a lot of subjects, but was excellent at Maths Science and Tech Drawing. In the Leaving he got A's in Maths, Physics, applied Maths, Chemistry and TD. However, as he had failed pass English and pass Irish he was denied a place in Irish 3rd level colleges.

Turns out he was offered a scholarship to a Uni in the UK as they recognised he had dyslexia. he became a computer programmer, set up a company with 3 others that was sold when he was 32 years of age for £18,000,000stg. It was in the papers at the time so we all know it's true.

After taxes and fees had been paid he was left with almost £3,000,000 so he duly retired and hasn't really worked since. he does the odd bit of advisory stuff for people developing Apps but that's about it.

Nice, harmless, quiet guy in school and I'm very happy for him.

• Advertisement

ruby walsh

Ruby can't win group ones (flat), he can win grade ones (nh) though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Look guys, I didnt want the thread to turn into this guessing game. Im not giving anymore hints.

Paul Carberry

If it was GROUP ones he was winning he has to be a flat jockey.....

If it was GROUP ones he was winning he has to be a flat jockey.....
    Well we're not all horse racing experts Shergar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

why do so many people give a sh1t who the jockey the op was referring to is

its not like some potentially incendiary information about his alleged past in secondary school was divulged etc etc

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    why do so many people give a sh1t who the jockey the op was referring to is

its not like some potentially incendiary information about his alleged past in secondary school was divulged etc etc
    Nobody gives a shít but the OP was getting wound up so it's fun.
    Sssssshhhhh don't tell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

Dean09 wrote: »
    Nobody gives a shít but the OP was getting wound up so it's fun.
    Sssssshhhhh don't tell him.

Oh.......dont suppose you know anything about tracker mortgages?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I remember seeing a man on the Late Late show in the nineties and said he was going to bottle water and sell it

Irish people buying water :rolleyes:

I laughed at him. Was in secondary school at the time and we were talking about him in business studies

Now he owns Ballygowen and I'm stoney broke :(

Charging people for water. what a cnut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Out of my group of mates one was just that bit more naturally intelligent than the rest, after getting into serious debt twice with serious drug dealers and having his parents bail him out or he'd be severely beaten.. He ended up owning a fortune again and under took a drug muel mission to south America, he got back ok and a few months later he was caught with a shopping trolley of drugs on o'connell street, he's just completed his second stint in mount joy. What a waste

Out of my group of mates one was just that bit more naturally intelligent than the rest, after getting into serious debt twice with serious drug dealers and having his parents bail him out or he'd be severely beaten.. He ended up owning a fortune again and under took a drug muel mission to south America, he got back ok and a few months later he was caught with a shopping trolley of drugs on o'connell street, he's just completed his second stint in mount joy. What a waste

Intelligence and stupidity are not mutually exclusive then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Intelligence and stupidity are not mutually exclusive then

Nope. We were all fairly intelligent but he was more natural at it (academia) but man what a fcuk up, him and his uncle did so much coke one might they burnt down the uncles restaurant trying to make a 5am snack

Nope. We were all fairly intelligent but he was more natural at it (academia) but man what a fcuk up, him and his uncle did so much coke one might they burnt down the uncles restaurant trying to make a 5am snack

I do know people like that, in fact I probably know more people who wasted their talents/intelligence than who maximized it. But i suppose its different when you are talking about addictions such as drugs, Alcohol or gambling, logic goes out the window when you are caught in those traps.

Everyone thought I'd do shlt in both the leaving and my degree.. I had people actually pissed off at me because I crammed well and got the same as them.

I didn't really learn anything until I got my first degree related job.

Advertisement