Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being a definite person

• 05-08-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I'd love to be a definite person. You see it here on boards all the time, people who have strong opinions on something. Dudess had very definite opinions on different topics. But I can never decide and my mind is always changing.
    Even my outlook on life seems to change by the day.
    Sometimes I wake up very sure of myself and I know what I want to do in life.
    Other days I'm lost.
    People have quoted me on things and I can't believe that that was my opinion at the time, even though it could have just been the previous week.

It's actually hurting my head to think about it now. But hopefully other people know what I'm talking about. Some days it feels like your living in someones body and feel kind of dead inside and just go through the motions, where as other days you might just be happy all day and be very sure of yourself.

Does it come with age or will I always have this haze following me around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I think you're definitely a person. Check if you have opposable thumbs just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think you're definitely a person. Check if you have opposable thumbs just to be sure.
    nope, just paws:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

man up

We all want to be better at something. The Oatmeal captured a great point of view in their cartoon.

OP just do your best and don't worry about being a different person. Life is about learning. If you want to be more definite, just push yourself to do it. Plus experience means you'll know a situation and what will happen with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Cogito ergo sum, Teddy. Cogito ergo sum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I'm the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

A bit of flexibility is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You're my hero Teddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

mackg wrote: »
    I'm the same.

Wait, actually I'm completely different.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Let go boards.ie for three weeks. Then let go all your opinions about stuff. Then come back to earth with a better realisation about what makes you who you are. It's not what you think it's how you are when your thinking it that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

christ teddy, will you not go out and get a woman, these late night provocative threads have to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Yes. Best advice I can give is educate yourself on the topic at hand. The internet is a source of infinite free knowledge. Once you're knowledgeable on the subject you'll be able to formulate a sound, definitive opinion.

I always find the most probable causes for being on the fence are a lack of information, or a lack of confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sounds like more of a PI thread tbh.

It's just a case of knowing yourself. Being able to admit harsh realities about yourself, to yourself, and having the strength to know who you actually are...not what you'd like others to think you are. From there, you can also honestly see other people's sides of the story (regardless of how they may effect yours) and understand the reality of any situation...so forming an opinion on it is easy.

In that regard, I always try and look at something with a view to what the truth of the matter is, like a scientist does. Not what I'd like it to be, not what someone else would like it to be. Take in all sides, then see that middle ground of what the reality is. And go from there, regardless of the effects it might have on your life, because at least you won't be in for a shock down the line.

But, to be honest, I think most people go the other way: see what they'd like to be true and build an argument around that. The problem is that the argument changes when your perspective does and it becomes like a dog chasing its tail.

I dunno if that all makes sense to anyone but me, but there you go.

christ teddy, will you not go out and get a woman, these late night provocative threads have to stop
    I wouldn't put another woman through that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Uncertainty is better than being stolid and entrenched. A lot of smart people turn stupid that way.
    You're a great guy for articulating the minutiae of existential crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd love to be a definite person. You see it here on boards all the time, people who have strong opinions on something. Dudess had very definite opinions on different topics. But I can never decide and my mind is always changing.
    Other days I'm lost.
    People have quoted me on things and I can't believe that that was my opinion at the time, even though it could have just been the previous week.

It's actually hurting my head to think about it now. But hopefully other people know what I'm talking about. Some days it feels like your living in someones body and feel kind of dead inside and just go through the motions, where as other days you might just be happy all day and be very sure of yourself.

+1

Other days I'm lost.

Disagree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Life experiences make you the person that you are, don't ever let anyone on boards or in real life change that.

I don't come across well in text form, especially when I'm coming down.
    I apologise and will stop posting now:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i would of thought the most definitive thing about a person is how they approach life...Its not nesscerilly about being the smartest or doing these wnderfulls life i would of always thought definitive well to me is a person who looks past money and high powered jobs and all that crap and just says fvck it I want to be happy.

personally that definitive if wealth comes from taking that approach then all the power to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

"Some people are born with clear roots. They know exactly where they come from and who they are, but the world is mysterious to them. I've always been the opposite ... sensitive to the world and forever in the course of discovering who i am and what i am." - Norman Mailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Be like a Honey Badger teddy - don't give a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Shryke wrote: »
    You're a great guy for articulating the minutiae of existential crisis.

Thats a great back-handed compliment. :)

I understand what you are saying. I am the same regarding lots of things.
    It is important to be able to change your mind imo and to be willing to acknowledge that change within yourself and outwardly.

People who can't do this are silly.
    Be like a Honey Badger teddy - don't give a ****.

Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Other days I'm lost.

Most reasonable people have quite ambient opinions, as their knowledge of a subject grows, their take on it changes accordingly.

Being flexible is not a character flaw, its the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Do you mean coming down off uppers? Try not to do any thinking about your life when you're coming down off drugs :L

A certain amount of flexibility in your opinion is a good thing. Try and educate yourself before forming an opinion.
    I have the same problem. I formulate opinions way too quickly and then when I read up on the subject I'm forced to change my opinion, which is annoying :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I think as person you are learning all the time. But as you get older, 30+ you become more sure of yourself, your opinions, what you like what you dont like, what you agree and dont agree with etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell

Not completely accurate, but quoting makes me look like I'm trying to compensate for my own lack of insight.

Be grand. I don't have a ****in' clue and I like it that way. Just pick anything and go with it, because any stance is probably just as wrong as any other. Everyone's trading fictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Dont get a Tattoo.

Dónal wrote: »
    We all want to be better at something. The Oatmeal captured a great point of view in their cartoon.

OP just do your best and don't worry about being a different person. Life is about learning. If you want to be more definite, just push yourself to do it. Plus experience means you'll know a situation and what will happen with it.
    That Oatmeal cartoon is very true. I always think the same, some times I'm thinking, I'll bulk up now. Then I'm thinking no, I'll go down a bit and do more cardio.

I never learn, that's my problem.

ArtyM wrote: »
    Dont get a Tattoo.
    My friends got tattoos when they were 16 but I decided I'd hold off for a while until I decided on something. That was 9 years ago and I'm still a blank canvas.

Tomorrow I will be myself again.
    Maybe I should start seeing a psychiatrist.
    My ex girlfriend is a psychologist, if that's not enough to make someone paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

"The fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be a fool" -I think the best opinions are constantly in a state of flux, open-minded and always seeking to evolve. "My way or the highway" types are never aspirational

By the way, +1 for Dudess. Great poster I found. Sad when I heard she wasn't posting anymore, though I hope she retired the account and is posting on another.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Other days I'm lost.

teddy, you talk so much on here i don't know what is real and what is silly attentio seaking ****, and you do a lot of attention seaking ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

You need to be the definite person

/grammar joke

Pantsface wrote: »
    teddy, you talk so much on here i don't know what is real and what is silly attentio seaking ****, and you do a lot of attention seaking ****
    I don't intend to if I do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Pantsface wrote: »

Says the guy with pants on his face :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Ah, I think that having wavering views or a lack of conviction in one's opinions just means that you don't really care about the particular topic. Just have a think about what you're actually interested in and I'm sure you'll realise you got some staunch ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement