Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rusty tank, who does restoration?

• 05-08-2012 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, I am messing around with an old bike in the shed. The tank is severely rusted inside, Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere I could bring it to be fixed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Get it bead blasted & treat with Petseal...

"Petseal is specially formulated as a corrosion resistant composite for the internal coating of rusty and corroded steel petrol tanks and stops leaks from 'pinholes'. Petseal is a very easy material to use. After the removal of all loose rust and sediment the two parts of Petseal are mixed in a container and then poured into the tank. The mixture is swilled around to cover all the tank interior and then allowed to set. The composite is designed to seep into the pitted surface and bind the rust into a smooth and corrosion-proof lining. Comes in 260ml cans with hardener."

There is a new product called Sureseal, but I haven't used it myself

http://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How bad is bad? is the tank perforated with rust or is it just flaky inside?
    To start with you can use vinegar, fill it and leave it for a couple of days, this should start to break the rust down.
    Pea gravel and swill it around with the vinegar should knock most of the larger rust off.
    Or you could try electrolysis with a battery charger, this will remove rust very rapidly.

That Petseal tank sealer has mixed reviews here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Thanks for the help.

It is fairly badly rusted but has no pin holes yet.

I was on www.holden.co.uk (Home > Maintenance> Paint & Anti-Rust> POR-15 Fuel Tank Repair)

This tank repair product looks pretty good. The whole package for the tank sealent process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

This is informative....:)

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Advertisement