Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tying hair back when running?

• 06-08-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am wondering what you use to keep your hair back if you are running? I used to run two years ago and I just tied it back with a hair band. I think it has damaged my hair though. I got a bit of stress alopecia along my hair line (not helped of course by two pregnancies and breastfeeding over the prior 3 years), and I seemed to loose a fair bit from the ponytails.
    I tried not to tie them too tightly but it didn't seem to make a huge difference.
    A year on and my hair is in bits with a fair bit of regrowth so I've cut it shorter to tidy it up a little. I want to get back running but need to sort my hair out too.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Maybe you could try wearing a hair band, like this one:
    995077P.jpg

I don't know how long or thick your hair is but it might help keep you hair off your face anyway while you're running. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I'm not sure how long your hair is now, but I'd usually do a french plait to tie it back with a hairband like Suomi posted or kirby grips for my fringe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I find this style of hair band good. The Nike outlets in Kildare or Banbridge usually have them for cheap enough.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=10545245

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I use the hair ties from boots that don't have any metal bits on them. I also tie my hair low down at the nape of my neck, mainly because that way it doesn't bounce around so much and work it's way loose, but I've found there's much less stress on my hair when it's tied there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I LIVE with my hair tied back and I've never had any breakage/tension alopecia from it, so it could be that (unfortunately) you just have very weak hair. Best thing you can do to minimise breakage is only ever use bobbins that don't have a metallic band on them (these WRECK your hair) and go for a slightly thicker bobbin rather than the really narrow ones - I buy mine in Claire's Accessories and they're about 5mm in diameter. Also, make sure the elastic in them is good and strong - it sounds counter-intuitive, but the tighter the bobbin is around your ponytail, the less likely it is to slip and drag the hair. The advice below about tying the ponytail at the nape of your neck is also good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thanks. At least I know there is something I can buy that won't cause problems. I must get into some sports shops and see what they have along the lines of the things mentioned in your responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hair ties with no metal parts are meant to be good.
    Also, I know it's not very fashionable, but a hair scrunchie.
    When my friend had some breakages in her hair from hair ties her hairdresser suggested scruchies tie loosely

Advertisement