Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda quits force & discloses disgraceful management

• 06-08-2012 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php

'Garda rank & vile' is headline in Sunday world where Garda Niall O'Connor leaves the force after 5 years, disclosing the pressures frontline gardai are left to deal with no backup of management or funding from our Government, while also discussing the ridiculous situations of criminals walking free from court.

I think its disgraceful how gardai are meant to carry out their duties..their management is a joke. No other police force are treated like this. Will it get worse than this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

blondie29 wrote: »
    Will it get worse than this??

What next?
    Somebody'll be murdered, and then where are we?
    Drive-by shootings in the night: it'll be like 'Boyz N The Hood'.
    And then we'll have whores selling their wares in the street.
    And the pimps'll be using crack to keep the whores under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Wow that website is silly. I'm glad I don't read that paper. Guards should always have the resources they need though, don't think anyone will argue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Is any of this really new though? criminals walking free form court? no way!

Looks to me like the former Garda got in over his head and did not research all that the role entails on a day to day basis,which considering his former career in journalism i find hard to understand.
    The Gardai are underfunded and over stretched , old news in fairness
    They deal with the worst in society and Mr O'Connor Knew this surely?
    I read the story in the sunday world and it smacks a bit of someone trying to re-establish a career in journalism to me,nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Fair play to him for telling it how it is.
    Sorry to see a good decent hard working cop leave and sure more will probably follow.

This country is becoming a joke and are legal system is a complete mess and from my experience also it's on the side of the criminal.

There is nothing there to put the bad people off repeating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That's an interesting article, pretty much what most people think but you never get to see in print:
    I watched news reports from this year's Garda Representative Association Conference when Minister for Justice Alan Shatter stood up and said that there was "every reason for morale to be high" in An Garda Siochana. Gardaí in my station took this as a direct insult, a "let them eat cake" moment by a barrister who has made money by participating in a failed judicial system.

I have sat in court and saw notorious criminals walk free on suspended sentences. Their solicitors telling judges that they suffer from drugs and drink problems that caused them to commit their crimes. The man who attacked me with the sword received a nine-month suspended jail term, his solicitor arguing that his client attacked the garda and his own kids because he couldn't handle the drink.

Solicitors are allowed, with impunity, to ask for adjournments so that quasi probation reports can be obtained and no-one questions the expenses. The accused was, more often than not, caught red handed. Why should his solicitor string out the process to make more and more money from the Legal Aid system? The simple answer is that the legal system is weighted in favour of the criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did he write most of that himself? Not much of a Journalist either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

He says he was a journalist before joining the force. Bit of a trashy read.
    The funding should be there, no messing about, but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder for not getting enough thanks for the job he was doing which isn't the attitude to have. You do the job full stop.
    Gardai need proper support but this lad just quit altogether. He found out there were budgets and bureaucracy and quit. If it was a job he loved he could have tried to effect change.
    A lot of peoples experiences with the gardai are less than stellar my own included so I don't know if this will garner much sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sounds like the Gardaí are as bad as the Army when it comes to funding. Guess we'll just have to add it to the list so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

'Garda rank & vile' is headline in Sunday world where Garda Niall O'Connor leaves the force after 5 years, disclosing the pressures frontline gardai are left to deal with no backup of management or funding from our Government, while also discussing the ridiculous situations of criminals walking free from court.

I think its disgraceful how gardai are meant to carry out their duties..their management is a joke. No other police force are treated like this. Will it get worse than this??
    Have ya Drink Taken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

No other police force are treated like this.

And you know this from your years of research into every police force in the world do you?

By the way they prefer to use "service" now rather than "force". Official vocab guidelines state that "force" is too aggressive.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the article, why does it have to be written in such a sensationalist disaster 'end of the world' style? Completely ruins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Just some pussy in a blue uniform whinging...whats new!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'm surprised that a 'journalist' was shocked at what life as a beat Garda is like.

He'd rather jack in a pensionable job without trying to effect change,whilst leaving his under resouced work mates a man down in order to write for a rag like the Sunday World?the whole truth's not being told here I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Did he write most of that himself? Not much of a Journalist either.

To be fair to him neither are the editors at Sunday's Worst. He could be Shakespeare and the the editors would still have to dumb his copy down to their own level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Guards should always have the resources they need
    Should they though? I'm genuinely asking btw.

I mean there is a limit to what we can afford. We cannot just allocate unlimited resources to deal with all offences and transgressions of the statute books.

Whilst I believe that Gardai may well be stretched to an unreasonable degree, I think the notion that they should "always have the resources they need" is unattainable.

Gardai need to prioritise their work in the object of maintaining social and civil order by degree of importance.

To my mind, this does not include bog inspections, parking offences, and yes, maybe even going 'on the beat' (remember the Garda Reserve...?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

later12 wrote: »
    Should they though? I'm genuinely asking btw.

I mean there is a limit to what we can afford. We cannot just allocate unlimited resources to deal with all offences and transgressions of the statute books.

Whilst I believe that Gardai may well be stretched to an unreasonable degree, I think the notion that they should "always have the resources they need" is unattainable.

Gardai need to prioritise their work in the object of maintaining social and civil order by degree of importance.

To my mind, this does not include bog inspections, parking offences, and yes, maybe even going 'on the beat' (remember the Garda Reserve...?)

Thats all fine and well but what might not be important to you may be a law another minister or member of the public wants wants enforced and Gardai cannot always tell them to feck off I'm busy with crime investigation. Maintaining social and cilvil order is a priority but the resources available now mean priorities cannot be gauranteed, this government will run the force into the ground and it will be the public and decent people who will ultimately suffer, however if your game is crime, happy days! Shatter reminds me of Comical Ali

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

He gave the game away at the end. Criminals are being caught at the end of shifts. He then complains that they don't get overtime to investigate further. Why don't they catch the criminals at the beginning of the shifts and save the state money?

He gave the game away at the end. Criminals are being caught at the end of shifts. He then complains that they don't get overtime to investigate further. Why don't they catch the criminals at the beginning of the shifts and save the state money?

Maybe if Garda management met with Gandland leaders they could agree a compromise that might suit you, the reason criminals are often caught towards the end of shifts is that incidents occur during the shift, Gardai are called and investigate and maybe searches have to take place and suspects identified and located. Meanwhile the clock is still ticking towards the end of shift. The suspect is arrested and detained under the relevant legislation which may allow them to be held for various periods up to 24 hourse in average cases. Overtime can often as a result be necessary to complete the investigation properly but dont let the facts get in the way of a good whinge. Overtime isnt worth doing by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Law enforcement and justice are not the same thing.

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    Law enforcement and justice are not the same thing.

Yeah! but can one do without the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Yes he highlighted the problems facing the Garda at the moment but i can't help but feel that it was the lack of cash that made him quit rather then any high morale stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

To be fair to the Guards, if the legal system in this country had a good overhaul, their work would bear way more fruit.

Yeah! but can one do without the other?

All a Garda can do is bring someone before the court. Any injustice should not stop the gardaí from doing their job.

Why would they bother at all if they though "ah shure, the judge will just let them go with a slap on the wrist anyway"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

We've got a 19th-century prison system. Thornton Hall prison badly needs to be built. Criminals know how bad the overcrowding in the prisons is and are laughing all the way out the courtroom doors. Judges are far too lenient, how they can be repeatedly swayed by the alcoholism defence time and time again is beyond me. Maybe they just don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

LOL
    A Garde leaves the force and cribs about management and people take it serious.

Anyone want to hear me crib about the management I am under. Nah didn't think so, we all crib and bitch about our managers and bosses, its human nature.

Colmustard wrote: »
    LOL

Anyone want to hear me crib about the management I am under. Nah didn't think so, we all crib and bitch about our managers and bosses, its human nature.

So there's nothing to be taken seriously in that article at all? It was all just one big rant, the justice system in this country is fine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sadly its nothing new.
    The Garda have been for some time, been a political football that all parties have been kicking in order to score points against each other.

If the idiots in the Dail would just give them the tools to do their job instead of taking them away and interfering constantly (sometimes for their own personal reasons) then the lads and lassies would have a far easier job and could just get on with it!

Fair play to the person that spoke out but the truth is that its well known how bad things are - the government is just ignoring the issue, if only because they are part of the problem.

Expect sound-bites (if anything at all), condemnations about he speaking out, more platitudes - then they will do sweet fcuk all to remedy the situation!

So there's nothing to be taken seriously in that article at all? It was all just one big rant, the justice system in this country is fine?

As I said, big difference between the justice system and a gard on the street doing his job. Entirely different things.

• Advertisement

LOL

Sometimes, just sometimes its also necessary!

Basically, we all know this and our Garde I will venture are the highest paid policeforce in Europe.

So if he seen himself as some sort of superheroe who was going to sort the streets out he is a complete twat.

I hope he enjoys his future career as perhaps the Sunday world crime journo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

The Wire season 5 deals with police cutbacks very well.

it's a serious situation and cripples a police force.

It has to be reported somehow and he's right to do it, only a moron would think it's about getting attention for himself.

It's basic cut backs.

Leftist wrote: »
    The Wire season 5 deals with police cutbacks very well.

it's a serious situation and cripples a police force.

It has to be reported somehow and he's right to do it, only a moron would think it's about getting attention for himself.

It's basic cut backs.

I think he got a better offer, I doubt he is leaving for the dole.

We are all under cutbacks and we know why. So what in this country do we not reduce funding for, Health, Education, social welfare, justice

The chap is a twat and I wont be reading his future articles.

As I said, big difference between the justice system and a gard on the street doing his job. Entirely different things.

Entirely different but completely dependent on each other. If a judge is letting criminals off the hook or giving them lenient sentences does that not make the Gardaí's job harder? If judges are letting repeat offenders out on bail they hardly have much incentives to live a crime free life before they are banged up. I don't see why a Garda shouldn't be able to comment on the justice system, he has as much right as anybody else.

Basically, we all know this and our Garde I will venture are the highest paid policeforce in Europe.

So if he seen himself as some sort of superheroe who was going to sort the streets out he is a complete twat.

I hope he enjoys his future career as perhaps the Sunday world crime journo.

Are they the highest paid police force? If so why is morale in the force so low? I doubt he seen himself as a superhero, just comes across to me as someone who is angry at the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

scum
    drug kingpin
    crime lord

He wrote the article but the Sunday World certainly edited it

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter stood up and said that there was "every reason for morale to be high" in An Garda Siochana. Gardaí in my station took this as a direct insult, a "let them eat cake" moment by a barrister

solicitor
    Not that it matters

Are they the highest paid police force? If so why is morale in the force so low? I doubt he seen himself as a superhero, just comes across to me as someone who is angry at the system.

Hit the googles and find a higher paid frontline copper in the western world.

Morale is low because of cutbacks, they are not having it as good as they use to, so should they be exempt from cutbacks, personally I think health is a higher priority, but that is me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

The Gardai have all the same generic management problems that the rest of the Irish public sector has. Didn't see that coming. :rolleyes:

I think he got a better offer, I doubt he is leaving for the dole.

So that means what he say is wrong?

We are all under cutbacks and we know why. So what in this country do we not reduce funding for, Health, Education, social welfare, justice

Typical irish attitude. Lets not reach for improvement, lets not raise our standards, we're all in trouble with cut backs so everyone shut up.

So that means what he say is wrong?

Typical irish attitude. Lets not reach for improvement, lets not raise our standards, we're all in trouble with cut backs so everyone shut up.

Typical leftist attitude, money grows on trees, resources are infinite. It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong, what matters is his views are loaded. Its a rant from a guy who is moving on. Its not to be taken serious.

Cutbacks are a reality my wages has been slashed, I crib like fkcu, but I know why and I know there is nothing that can be done.

I wish I had the same options this twat seems to have. Good luck in his new and probably better paid career.

• Advertisement

All a Garda can do is bring someone before the court. Any injustice should not stop the gardaí from doing their job.

Why would they bother at all if they though "ah shure, the judge will just let them go with a slap on the wrist anyway"?

Even the most motivated of people can be demotivated when they see a poor system fail them for many reasons time and time again, its human nature, then deprive them of adquate resources and what do you expect. Its the public that will suffer long term!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

LOL

To be fair, problems with the Gardaí are not like your manager not promoting you from chip duty.

Typical leftist attitude, money grows on trees, resources are infinite. It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong, what matters is his views are loaded. Its a rant from a guy who is moving on. Its not to be taken serious.

Cutbacks are a reality my wages has been slashed, I crib like fkcu, but I know why and I know there is nothing that can be done.

I wish I had the same options this twat seems to have. Good luck in his new and probably better paid career.

nobody said money is grown on trees, ridiculous comment tbh.

There's no harm on highlighting these side effects. Highlight why these services are suffering. The greater attention the more respect, the more pressure against further cutbacks and alknowledgement of who and what is responsible.

But that's just complaining for the sake of it I suppose. Lets all shut up and be 'happy to have a job'.

Any country that has that pathetic attitude deserves to be a mediocre, corrupt backwater.

Hit the googles and find a higher paid frontline copper in the western world.

Morale is low because of cutbacks, they are not having it as good as they use to, so should they be exempt from cutbacks, personally I think health is a higher priority, but that is me.

I did and I ended up on ebay buying copper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember Enda Kenny promising 2,000 extra gardai in 2007

Story Enda?

Times have changed but Enda was ready to splash the cash too if he had won that election

To be fair, problems with the Gardaí are not like your manager not promoting you from chip duty.

Nasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You call it a rant - others can read it also as crap that is happening daily and the man spoke about it.
    By the way, he couldn't have talked about the situation while he was in the job for a number of legal reasons relating to his employment contact and possible penalising attached to such employment.

This view are his views but that don't take away from the facts that the crap he describes, is going on daily.
    That the Gardi is a political football.
    That the Gardi is under resourced and is a target for everyone who has a chip on their shoulder and looking for an easy target to take it out on.

The crap that they have to put put with should be taken very serious - but is not.
    Its being ignored while others complain about people actually standing up and saying just what the hell might actually be going on under their very noses!

nobody said money is grown on trees, ridiculous comment tbh.

There's no harm on highlighting these side effects. Highlight why these services are suffering. The greater attention the more respect, the more pressure against further cutbacks and alknowledgement of who and what is responsible.

But that's just complaining for the sake of it I suppose. Lets all shut up and be 'happy to have a job'.

Any country that has that pathetic attitude deserves to be a mediocre, corrupt backwater.

If there is cutbacks there will be side effects in service that is what happens wit cutbacks.

I don't know if you are up on current affairs but without going into economic details, there will be more cutbacks and the highest paid police force in Europe will also be taxed more and perhaps face another paycut.

That cannot be helped and that is the pressure most of us is under.

Biggins wrote: »
    You call it a rant - others can read it also as crap that is happening daily and the man spoke about it.
    By the way, he couldn't have talked about the situation while he was in the job for a number of legal reasons relating to his employment contact and possible penalising attached to such employment.

This view are his views but that don't take away from the facts that the crap he describes, is going on daily.
    That the Gardi is a political football.
    That the Gardi is under resourced and is a target for everyone who has a chip on their shoulder and looking for an easy target to take it out on.

The crap that they have to put put with should be taken very serious - but is not.
    Its being ignored while others complain about people actually standing up and saying just what the hell might actually be going on under their very noses!

SO other parts of the PS is not under pressure, because it is and morale is low. That is the nature of the situation Ireland is in. So some chap has the option of moving on and he lets rip a rant.

I will do the same if I ever leave my job, but don't take me serious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement