Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda quits force & discloses disgraceful management

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Colmustard wrote: »
    If there is cutbacks there will be side effects in service that is what happens wit cutbacks.

I don't know if you are up on current affairs but without going into economic details, there will be more cutbacks and the highest paid police force in Europe will also be taxed more and perhaps face another paycut.

That cannot be helped and that is the pressure most of us is under.

Good man! you should be in government with an attitude llike that, you are just what the IMF want to meet when they come calling, you'll be forever walked on with an attitude like that, good luck to you!

SO other parts of the PS is not under pressure, because it is and morale is low. That is the nature of the situation Ireland is in. So some chap has the option of moving on and he lets rip a rant.

I will do the same if I ever leave my job, but don't take me serious.

Remember to turn off the chip pan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

SO other parts of the PS is not under pressure, because it is and morale is low. That is the nature of the situation Ireland is in. So some chap has the option of moving on and he lets rip a rant.

I will do the same if I ever leave my job, but don't take me serious.

Did anyone say there's parts of the PS is not under pressure?
    If they did - I must have missed it.

Yes, the chap finally had the chance to speak up - good for bloody him!
    Damn shame more don't do it!

If you did it too with your previous experience in a prior job - and the situation was dire then - I would take you serious too!
    ...And rightly so!

Sometimes before we knock such people - they might have for years of service in a tough job, actually earned or deserved our respect instead of automatically just us giving them the boot in at any stage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

the police are overpaid and underworked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Unfortunately a sustained media driven witch hunt against the public service has meant that it doesnt matter what his reasons for leaving were, the public at large will feel no sympathy for him. Its sad really that its sank this low, interesting to see the pride that the British had in their NHS at the Olympic opening ceremony last week. The public place no value on the work of the public service in Ireland and the sooner Public Servants realise this the better!

* - Awaits PS bashers - *

the police are overpaid and underworked

The police in England might be - what about our Gardi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Alan Shatters house was burgled in March and they had immediate response, technical teams, people picked up off the streets and detectives to interview them

Nobody else would get that treatment. Someone will probably a promotion out of it

Shatter hasn't a clue what's going on around the country

Sees a great reponse, well isn't everything great

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

guards have it easy enough,lets not try and pretend they are pushed for work to make this story more credible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

Biggins wrote: »
    The police in England might be - what about our Gardi?

:rolleyes: learn to spell

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: learn to spell

Learn to spot the right country? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Did anyone say there's parts of the PS is not under pressure?
    If they did - I must have missed it.

Yes, the chap finally had the chance to speak up - good for bloody him!
    Damn shame more don't do it!

If you did it too with your previous experience in a prior job - and the situation was dire then - I would take you serious too!
    ...And rightly so!

Sometimes before we knock such people - they might have for years of service in a tough job, actually earned or deserved our respect instead of automatically just us giving them the boot in at any stage!

I wonder what morale is like in the Greek policeforce, low I would say. That is what cutbacks do. So an x journo, spoke up as he was leaving the force and got an article in the Sunday world, have you made the connection because I have and I am no Sherlock Holmes.

Remember to turn off the chip pan!

Even if I worked in Mc Donalds or the likes, so what, all work is honourable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Fair play to the Gard for speaking out.

There is something very rotten at the core of our law enforcement and justice system. The more people point this out the better. There should be a huge witch hunt to drive all these top level scroungers out of our government and our public services. Those same people who refuse to reorder and reform because they are afraid to lose their lucrative positions. They have grown fat and arrogant at our expense. They need to be rooted out of our system. Unfortunately that will never happen in this country.

It's us on the street and the front line services that are getting the raw deal as usual. The crime levels since 2008 in my area have increased at least 3 fold. The drug dealers don't even try to hide any more.

It's a big free for all and God help you if your in any way decent or law abiding!

Oh brave gallant sir knight of Micky Dees.

And dont forget it!

• Advertisement

I wonder what morale is like in the Greek policeforce, low I would say. That is what cutbacks do. So an x journo, spoke up as he was leaving the force and got an article in the Sunday world, have you made the connection because I have and I am no Sherlock Holmes.

I made the connect that he could string enough words together to possibly accurately describe the situation from the inside - a side we rarely hear from - a side that is stopped (even in law) from protesting - a side that is not allowed while in employment, from speaking out - and when he had the chance, decided to lay some realities on the line.

So we are supposed to also knock him now because he might have been a journalist?
    Right, onwards also with the automatic tarring of all with the same brush too!

And dont forget it!

I have an 18 year old nephew who stays in bed all day and refused a job in Burgerland because "I wouldn't do work like that" I personally think that is pathetic.

If I was my Brother who got him the job I would have kicked him into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mathepac wrote: »
    To be fair to him neither are the editors at Sunday's Worst. He could be Shakespeare and the the editors would still have to dumb his copy down to their own level.

Tbh I cant make heads nor tails out of some of shakespeare's writings either :o

I have an 18 year old nephew who stays in bed all day and refused a job in Burgerland because "I wouldn't do work like that" I personally think that is pathetic.

Lazy sod!

Kick him in the face!

mikom wrote: »
    What next?
    Somebody'll be murdered, and then where are we?
    Drive-by shootings in the night: it'll be like 'Boyz N The Hood'.
    And then we'll have whores selling their wares in the street.
    And the pimps'll be using crack to keep the whores under control.
    The army on the streets!

• Advertisement

lol burgerland.Do you really expect him to work in burgerland? get a grip mate

If bank managers can apply for a Mac Dee job, little Jonny should be able to see a fish is battered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

tin79 wrote: »
    By the way they prefer to use "service" now rather than "force". Official vocab guidelines state that "force" is too aggressive.
    Service is when a broadband provider provides broadband to my house. Gardai should be seen as a force and should have power to enforce the law, at least as much (or more) as the criminals enforce their crimes.

What, I did at his age and its better then staying in bed all day and playstation it was a good experience and believe it or not, it got me lots of sex.

Something about a bunch of teenagers working into the small hours then walking each other home.

As for the Garde if he has a solution that does not involve increased funding which cannot happen, I am interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ya guards should be better funded but they should work harder
    in the article he complains about the lack of squad cars sure do you think there were many squad cars in the twenty's guards in cities can go on patrol on foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The real problem is going to be if someone who takes a dislike to the way the criminals are allowed to walk decide to take matters into their own hands.

RumDrinker wrote: »
    Service is when a broadband provider provides broadband to my house. Gardai should be seen as a force and should have power to enforce the law, at least as much (or more) as the criminals enforce their crimes.

SERVICE:

1. an act of helpful activity; help; aid: to do someone a service.

2. the supplying or supplier of utilities or commodities, as water, electricity, or gas, required or demanded by the public.

Protection and/or detection?

3. the providing or a provider of accommodation and activities required by the public, as maintenance, repair, etc.: The manufacturer guarantees service and parts.

4. the organized system of apparatus, appliances, employees, etc., for supplying some accommodation required by the public: a television repair service.

5. the supplying or a supplier of public communication and transportation: telephone service; bus service.
    (well they give the caught crooks a lift to court!)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/service?s=t

ya guards should be better funded but they should work harder
    in the article he complains about the lack of squad cars sure do you think there were many squad cars in the twenty's guards in cities can go on patrol on foot
    Had many crooks in the 20's got cars too? :confused:

The real problem is going to be if someone who takes a dislike to the way the criminals are allowed to walk decide to take matters into their own hands.

Yeah,there are going to be death squads roaming the streets looking for criminals who got of lightly.

It Ireland we're talking about here,not Iraq.

Yeah,there are going to be death squads roaming the streets looking for criminals who got of lightly.

It Ireland we're talking about here,not Iraq.

I'm not talking about the the minor ones but sure I guess I should have been more specific.

Yes well seeing as Iraq is the only country with vigilantes I guess we are all safe.

What should we call these roaming death squads? I like Super Justice Force myself.

SERVICE:

Had many crooks in the 20's got cars too? :confused:

your missing the point they could patrol on foot or bike and it would show criminals that guards are watching and non criminals that the guards actually care

• Advertisement

your missing the point they could patrol on foot or bike and it would show criminals that guards are watching and non criminals that the guards actually care

They do care and I have seen them in cars, on horses, on foot and also on bikes.
    You must have missed them. Put down the Playstation controls and go outside a bit more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the article, why does it have to be written in such a sensationalist disaster 'end of the world' style? Completely ruins it.
    Simple really. Cos it's a tabloid world and that's the kind of emotive language most (yes!) of the people reading newspapers have grown used to.

> All the socially obnoxious become 'scum'.
    > All police are 'cops'.
    > All non mainstream become 'elite'.
    > Every failure becomes a 'crash'.
    That's what the market feeds on and must get.

Just go into your local newsagent in the early morn and take stock of the numbers of tabloid junk as opposed to the broadsheets.

Best example I saw recently though was where an inappropriate pregnancy was described as a 'social indiscretion with consequences' whereas the tabloids merely said that the good lady was 'up the duff' ! Like manners, sometimes it depends on where you are.

They do care and I have seen them in cars, on horses, on foot and also on bikes.
    You must have missed them. Put down the Playstation controls and go outside a bit more. :)

you live in a better serviced area then most people i know
    i have never seen a guard on a horse outside dublin (even then it was in a parade)

i dont own a playstation:D

you live in a better serviced area then most people i know
    i have never seen a guard on a horse outside dublin (even then it was in a parade)

i dont own a playstation :D

Your doubly unlucky. :o

Your doubly unlucky. :o

damn you cruel fate:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 waywardsun

Since they removed the height restrictions the Gardai are not as imtimidating to the criminals/junkies.

waywardsun wrote: »
    Since they removed the height restrictions the Gardai are not as imtimidating to the criminals/junkies.

Yeah but if you're a hardcore criminal and/or junkie I doubt you would find any Garda intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I for one feel sorry for him. I know members of the Garda who are cool, and other members who are ignorant so-and-so's (like life really, I suppose) but I can empathise with the article in question.

The job is tough going, (mentally and emotionally if not physically). If they aren't getting the funding or support from the judiciary system it makes it even tougher.

I couldn't go into work day after day knowing I was just shovelling against the tide. It'd be very dis-heartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

blondie29 wrote: »
    http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php

'Garda rank & vile' is headline in Sunday world where Garda Niall O'Connor leaves the force after 5 years, disclosing the pressures frontline gardai are left to deal with no backup of management or funding from our Government, while also discussing the ridiculous situations of criminals walking free from court.

I think its disgraceful how gardai are meant to carry out their duties..their management is a joke. No other police force are treated like this. Will it get worse than this??

I thought I recognised the name from another story recently - I would question whether this may have had an impact on his decision to quit

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0710/1224319721336.html

A JUDGE has thrown out a public order charge against a 21-year-old man who said his arm was broken in the course of his arrest outside a Limerick city pub last year.

Judge Eugene O’Kelly said he was “appalled” at video footage he had seen of the incident, which showed Garda Niall O’Connor “make a lunge” at Gary Daly and “drag him in a violent manner to the squad car” after the accused started recording the arrest of his friend on his phone.

Gardai said their decision to apprehend Mr Daly - of Shannonvale, Old Cratloe Road - had “nothing whatsoever” to do with the fact he had started shooting the video.

Recording a video was “not an offence”, said Judge O’Kelly.

Mr Daly denied failing to comply with Garda directions outside Molly’s Bar on Ellen Street shortly before 1am last July 28.

Garda Paul Bentley told Limerick District Court he and Garda O’Connor had responded to a call from security staff that four males were creating a disturbance having been refused entry. He had instructed Gary Daly to leave the area “at least four times” but, under cross-examination by solicitor Jerry Twomey, conceded the men had been told to leave the area collectively rather than individually. Mr Daly had been abusive and drunk on the night, Garda Bentley said.

Garda O’Connor also insisted the four men had been told to leave the area “on numerous occasions”. Two had done so while the others - Gary Daly and Gareth Howard - had remained, Garda O’Connor said.

Mr Twomey made his laptop available to the judge and the prosecution to view footage he had secured from the pub and this told a tale that was “at odds” with the evidence of gardaí.

It showed that Garda Bentley had “no interaction whatsoever” with Mr Daly prior to his arrest. And it demonstrated that Garda O’Connor spoke to the doormen for a minute and a half after arriving at the scene. Addressing Garda O’Connor, Mr Twomey said; “it shows that you then went to my client; asked him for ID, which he produced as the footage shows; and then 30 seconds later, you push him - violently . . . and when my client did something small like take video footage, you broke his arm, although I accept probably not deliberately,” Mr Twomey said.

Judge O’Kelly said he had “no hesitation” in accepting Mr Twomey’s application to dismiss the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

LOL
    A Garde leaves the force and cribs about management and people take it serious.

Anyone want to hear me crib about the management I am under. Nah didn't think so, we all crib and bitch about our managers and bosses, its human nature.

I couldn't care less about the management you're under because if it's underfunding you, it's not going to affect me or my familys safety now is it? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Boo Hoo I did not like being a guard. I had to do hard stuff and I did not get overtime, my boss was an idiot and I did not have all new gear, Boo Hoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The more I think about this the more suspicious I become.

He was probably a plant from day one.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about the management you're under because if it's underfunding you, it's not going to affect me or my familys safety now is it? :P

Yes it will I am also in the PS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

great article but sickening to read. as already pointed out though, nothing we dont know already and another sign that this country is a f*cking joke.

judges, solictors and garda management are so far out of touch with reality that it is sickening.

susita06 wrote: »
    I thought I recognised the name from another story recently - I would question whether this may have had an impact on his decision to quit

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0710/1224319721336.html

A JUDGE has thrown out a public order charge against a 21-year-old man who said his arm was broken in the course of his arrest outside a Limerick city pub last year.

Judge Eugene O’Kelly said he was “appalled” at video footage he had seen of the incident, which showed Garda Niall O’Connor “make a lunge” at Gary Daly and “drag him in a violent manner to the squad car” after the accused started recording the arrest of his friend on his phone.

Different garda

Over in Emergency Services forum they said there were two Niall O Connors in Henry St Limerick

The journalist and this lad from court have same name, had same job and same station but different people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

The dept of justice and dept of social welfare wrote limerick off as a lost cause a very long time ago to the detrement of the majority of ordinary decent Limerick folk ....... and as described here the limited frontline public service that have to deal with it.

They have the almost impossible mission of living, working and raising a family in what can only be decribed as some kind of state funded social implosion expermint in many areas of the city and now county.....

A cocktail of state handouts, early disconnection from the education proccess, generations lacking basic parenting skills ,family values and structures and the complete disregard for law enforcement or peers is almost beyond belief

Whats truly comical is that the fallout from this in turn falls at the feet and expence (again) of the national health board i.e HSE in the form of compounded drug abuse, alcohol abuse, violence, depression, social work ect ect. and the cycle starts again

Its almost a self-fulfilling calamity....

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Journalists comment on other workers all the time without having a clue about what the jobs entail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

LOL
    A Garde leaves the force and cribs about management and people take it serious.

Anyone want to hear me crib about the management I am under. Nah didn't think so, we all crib and bitch about our managers and bosses, its human nature.
    Yes it will I am also in the PS.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Different garda

Over in Emergency Services forum they said there were two Niall O Connors in Henry St Limerick

The journalist and this lad from court have same name, had same job and same station but different people
    How do you know which one is which, may this is the thug who carried out that assault and is just jacking in the Guards before he get thrown out?

A regular poster in that forum and is in Limerick I've no reason to doubt them.
    Lots of serving gardaí in there

If you want more info, you'll have to ask them yourself

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056719686

• Advertisement
Advertisement