Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Totally Lost With this Aul Electronic Form of Music

• 06-08-2012 2:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

If you want a little background on me asking this stuff you can go here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80088507&postcount=23

Basically, I remember a good few years ago when I wasn't much for dancing. I was pissed off one night and went to one of the foremost clubs in the country (if only by reputation at that point.) I spent four or so hours dancing on the edge of a dancefloor, totally lost in my own world, arms flailing legs occasionally stepping, hips and torso contraposto'ing. Every half hour or so I'd go for a quick drink, knock back a pint or water and go back dancing again. Every so often someone would come up and tell me I looked like I was having fun. Closer to closing time a friend (I hadn't planned on meeting) arrived and danced up to me, we danced for a bit, they left and I continued on dancing until I was kicked out. It was the best night of dancing I'd had in my life.

I've been looking for this same sort of night for the past while here in Cork. However, I usually end up somewhere playing not-the-top-40 but rockish and anthemic type stuff. The last night I was there they were literally playing stuff I remember from when I was going to teenage discos in the 90's. I left disgusted. All I want to do is spend a few hours, oblivious to the world, moving my arms and legs and torso. I'd quite like a DJ who doesn't make me stop for 30 seconds between a song I'm enjoying and the next one, looking stupidly at the people around me and shrugging my shoulders. Or, as I said, playing 1990's teenage disco stuff.

The posters I see that are obviously for electronic music are indecipherable to me. They could be for any form of electronic music or any form of crowd, and I'm scared I'm going to walk in on 200 knackers, missing the point and trying to punch each other. "Dance" music is quite indecipherable to me. I don't know even enough of the basic electronic music terminology to decipher a simple poster. Maybe that's why it's underground? I don't know where to begin (in Cork) to look for a place that I can pay my money and get lost in music and dancing for a few hours.

Any advice on how to begin? I hope that all those "how to be a DJ" stickies can translate to a thread like this. To give an example of what I've been listening to I have a last.fm track based on Squarepusher. I of course have The Prodigy (Music for the Jilted Generation) in my playlist, along with Silver Apples, Soft Machine, Autechre, Electronicat, The Chemical Brothers, Wendy Carlos. So yeah, a bit of sixties/seventies stuff that was verging on electronic, as well as a Krautrock station on Last.fm.

I'd be quite obliged if some of you could decipher my three am ramblings and let me know what the story is with going to nightclubs for good electronic music is these days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Edit: maybe links'll help you see if you like the styles of music - was on a phone before.

The Pavilion gets most of the good gigs, with Dubculture, Click Promotions and Bastardo Electrico regularly pushing sound into your brain, and the crowd is usually hip and knowledgeable at any of those, no scobes.
    Bangers and Mash (techno night) is on August 17th.
    Dubculture've got Loefah: coming over on September 21st, which will be incredible (but you might have to get your ticket in advance, he's a big name).
    Sunday Times Soundsystem is a monthly all-day event, and free. Great DJs, nice selections of all genres of funky music.
    Fish Go Deep kind of gets some scobes, the old Henry's heads, but they're aged and responsible now - I've never seen any pick-up artists there, they just want to dance to slow house music.

Nancy Spain's has started a regular Saturday all-dayer called 'Nancy's Shnare', seems to be twice a month, I think. Next one is August 18th. Drinks are cheap and the music starts @ 1pm.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete organise local producer showcases - there will be gaps between acts and sometimes songs, so I'd go with a friend, but some of the acts are incredible.
    Next one's on August 30th, Fred Zeppelins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Why don't you check the listings for your area, look up the artists in and see if anything takes your fancy.

If it does, it should be pretty easy to give you an idea of the general demographic that'll be attending, assuming it's similar for Cork and Dublin.

Advertisement