Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and VPN?

• 06-08-2012 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'm consideirng switching to UPC and was reading their Acceptable usage policy. They says they do not suport VPN http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/
    Section 12: Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN) As stated above, the UPC Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are using VPN we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems with our network and other Internet users.
    Are UPC users really not allowed to use VPN??? This seeems stange... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That policy seems to me to be an exercise in arse-coverage. What about this bit?
    The residential broadband internet service is designed for connection to a single PC. If you connect more than one PC at any one time to the Broadband Service you agree that this shall be entirely at your own risk.
    You must not connect more than three (3) PC’s to the Broadband Services at any one time.
    This despite them supplying a router with WiFi and 4 Ethernet ports. I live in a house with two others, and I estimate that between us we have 10 devices using the WiFi, though rarely all at the same time. I run VirtualBox on my big laptop e.g. yesterday I had an additional 5 Linux instances running, each of which got its own IP address from the router just fine.

PS: they do allow servers, where Eircom doesn't (last time I checked). Which is weird for residential broadband with dynamic IP addresses and NAT, both of which have to be worked around before a server will work.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's more a clause to stop you using a VPN for IP-cloaking purposes, if you're using a VPN for remote working then fire away - myself and the aul lad regularly use VPN tunnels to work from home on a upc connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

I recently got UPC in and use a VPN quiet alot for privacy. I have not heard anything from UPC yet about it and cant see the big issue about it.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

BrianDug wrote: »
    I recently got UPC in and use a VPN quiet alot for privacy. I have not heard anything from UPC yet about it and cant see the big issue about it.

Each to their own.
    I use a VPN with UPC and never had a problem.

Advertisement