Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salary Increases For Ministerial Advisers

• 06-08-2012 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Many ministerial advisers have seen their salaries increase to reward them for their first year in the job.

http://pulse.me/s/bWZlR

I woke this morning with a renewed sense of optimism, John Joe won our first medal last night, the sun is shining and the birds are singing.

Then I read article above:
    1. Are we not bankrupt?
    2. Are we not running a huge budget deficit?

This government are nuts, how do they think this is sustainable, not only are they not tackling the deficit, they are making it worse.

Enda - are we really all in this together??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

whatever made you think that ?

i said as soon as the pay cap was breached (because they are worth it probably) that i wont give FG / Labour a vote agian (dont ask me who i'm going to vote for - no idea). to break what i thought was a key ele ction promise so early was just typical of a do i say not as i do attitude. politicians dont seem to think anything applies to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

I think they deserve it and I hope they raise my prsi and taxes so I can pay for this as they are doing a stand up job

Seeing how they lead by example I think they should raise VAT too so I can help them out even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Many ministerial advisers have seen their salaries increase to reward them for their first year in the job.

http://pulse.me/s/bWZlR

I woke this morning with a renewed sense of optimism, John Joe won our first medal last night, the sun is shining and the birds are singing.

Then I read article above:
    1. Are we not bankrupt?
    2. Are we not running a huge budget deficit?

This government are nuts, how do they think this is sustainable, not only are they not tackling the deficit, they are making it worse.

So here you are moaning about these PS workers getting their increments just for doing their job but yet in the other thread you want to keep getting your increments also for just doing your job.

The hypocrisy is strong in this one!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

So here you are moaning about these PS workers getting their increments just for doing their job but yet in the other thread you want to keep getting your increments also for just doing your job.

The hypocrisy is strong in this one!!!!!!

Head the wall, another thread and another personal rank, well at least your consistent.

Do other posters a favour and send me private message, no need to follow my threads around to leave your caustic remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Well your posts are hypocritical, and I will stand over what I posted. Don't make hypocritical posts and you won't get called out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

Well your posts are hypocritical, and I will stand over what I posted. Don't make hypocritical posts and you won't get called out on it.

Pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Right - handslaps for both of you. Put the handbags down and go outside for a minute.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Is anybody really surprised by this?

This government does not have a clue what its doing and has shown this time and time again by making the same mistakes as its predecessor without any regard for the reality of the situation the country is in.

Continues to show a complete lack of innovation or progressive ideas to bring Ireland out of this depression added to no backbone when dealing with the unions and the public service.

The only thing Enda and Gilmore have shown any aptitude at is crawling on their bellies to the troika but even then he sells out the majority to protect himself, his party and the public sector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Mr. Varadkar appears to be completely out of his depth having been given two separate advisors costing US almost E200k. Per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I think it's a bit funny tbh; kind of reminds me of a Monthy Python sketch.

It's not like anyone can do anything about it anyway so may aswell just laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

My understanding is that this was all part of the Croke Park agreement, i.e. that increments would remain in exchange for changes in work practices. If so then all that's happening is what should be happening. This isn't really anything new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

molloyjh wrote: »
    My understanding is that this was all part of the Croke Park agreement, i.e. that increments would remain in exchange for changes in work practices. If so then all that's happening is what should be happening. This isn't really anything new.

Your understanding is incorrect, the croke park agreement had nothing to do with breaching pay caps for special advisors.

over to you.

listermint wrote: »
    Your understanding is incorrect, the croke park agreement had nothing to do with breaching pay caps for special advisors.

over to you.

The increments don't apply to them. As the article clearly stated they were already in breach of the pay caps. But don't the pay caps only apply to incoming staff?

The increments don't apply to them. As the article clearly stated they were already in breach of the pay caps. But don't the pay caps only apply to incoming staff?

They must have been deemed worthy of these increases based on ireland's meteoric rise from this current depression.

obviously.

Jaysoose wrote: »

They must have been deemed worthy of these increases based on ireland's meteoric rise from this current depression.

obviously.

What increases? The point is that these individuals didn't get any....

What increases? The point is that these individuals didn't get any....

The increases for the special advisers..we are in the same thread no?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Jaysoose wrote: »
    The increases for the special advisers..we are in the same thread no?

I think the point molloy is making is that the increments don't apply to those already in breach of the pay cap, as stated in the article.

Before I jump down the throat of those that got increments, I would like to know whether they had a proper performance management system in place for their position.
    If they did and the targets were progressive and important and they met their targets, then aren't they entitled to the increment.
    If they didn't or they didn't meet their targets then they shouldn't have got them.
    So does anyone know if they had a performance review or not, because without that information it seems quite silly to take a position on either side.

itzme wrote: »
    I think the point molloy is making is that the increments don't apply to those already in breach of the pay cap, as stated in the article.

Before I jump down the throat of those that got increments, I would like to know whether they had a proper performance management system in place for their position.
    If they did and the targets were progressive and important and they met their targets, then aren't they entitled to the increment.
    If they didn't or they didn't meet their targets then they shouldn't have got them.
    So does anyone know if they had a performance review or not, because without that information it seems quite silly to take a position on either side.

I'd say probably not, but we don't know for sure.

And yes the post Jaysoose originally quoted was re those in breach of the pay cap, who didn't get increments.

I'd say probably not, but we don't know for sure.

And yes the post Jaysoose originally quoted was re those in breach of the pay cap, who didn't get increments.

Yes there is a rather large thread for increments and their validity already i was posting about the absurd notion that ministers advisors are being given increases even though we are in the depths of a depression and not one idea or innovation has been brought forward.

Its just yet another indication that those people in power are completely removed from the planet earth yet they speak to the electorate like they are children and constantly use the term "the reality is" to justify increases in direct and stealth taxes.

Not one minister has come out with any credible policy that is making a blind bit of difference but we are to believe that these "advisors" are worthy of pay increases.

**** that.

Advertisement