Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Coats

• 06-08-2012 9:54am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When do winter coats start coming into the shops? We've had such a fabulous summer that I'm thinking about them already :rolleyes:. I've seen a couple, but I imagine it'll be a while before the full ranges come out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭monkeysarecool

Now that the sales are practically over the autumn lines will be coming in soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

Hey Faith!:) My favourite fashion time is Autumn/Winter(who doesn't want to be warm and cosy?:)) Generally, you will see a few coats around now. In Topshop, they have a few in, but you will notice around late September, that Winter coats will start flooding into the shops and in October/November, we'll be smothered in them:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Faith wrote: »
    When do winter coats start coming into the shops? We've had such a fabulous summer that I'm thinking about them already :rolleyes:. I've seen a couple, but I imagine it'll be a while before the full ranges come out?

Where are you thinking of buying? I really need a new winter coat, my poor River Island one needs to be retired!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Asos have added a lot of coats/jackets to their website recently. I'm on the hunt for a bright red furry hooded parka this year! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Good few styles in Zara today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Any tips on where to get a nice winter coat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'd love a nice knee length fitted black coat with a slight flare but not a flarey mary either cos they make me look fat! It's so hard to find a nice coat I think!

I got 2 coats last year - a cape coat and another glam coat with fur hood and fur on the sleeves but theses are more "going out" coats!

I'd love a more practical but still stylish black coat that goes with everything. Don't like tie belts either though - I find they open easily!

I'm not hard to please at all :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I've seen a few in Dunnes Stores, Penneys, River Island, Zara and a few other high street stores already so I'd say the full ranges will be available within the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd love a nice knee length fitted black coat with a slight flare but not a flarey mary either cos they make me look fat! It's so hard to find a nice coat I think!

Its expensive I know but if I'd seen this last year I would have bought it. I was looking for a nice coat for years. Bought an almost perfect one last year, it'll have to do me now.

http://www.toast.co.uk/product/coats+and+jackets/C0AF8/LIVIA+COAT.htm?categoryref=%2fcategory.aspx%3fcategoryid%3dcoats%2520and%2520jackets%26seoterm%3djackets%2520coats%26&pcat=coats+and+jackets&adimage=

fits wrote: »
    Its expensive I know but if I'd seen this last year I would have bought it. I was looking for a nice coat for years. Bought an almost perfect one last year, it'll have to do me now.

http://www.toast.co.uk/product/coats+and+jackets/C0AF8/LIVIA+COAT.htm?categoryref=%2fcategory.aspx%3fcategoryid%3dcoats%2520and%2520jackets%26seoterm%3djackets%2520coats%26&pcat=coats+and+jackets&adimage=

Lovely coat fits! If I thought I was going to get the wear out of it I'd pay a bit of money alright but it would have to be perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got 2 coats last year - a cape coat and another glam coat with fur hood and fur on the sleeves but theses are more "going out" coats!

I'd love a more practical but still stylish black coat that goes with everything. Don't like tie belts either though - I find they open easily!

I'm not hard to please at all :-P

I got a gorgeous one in Topshop in August that fits your description - fitted to the waist, and then slightly flared almost down to the knee, in black. It has a hood too. It's perfect for a variety of weathers, but I can't find it on the website anymore, so it must be gone :(.

I'm still on the lookout for a brightly coloured one though.

They always have something similar to this style in Dunnes Savida range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Larianne wrote: »
    They always have something similar to this style in Dunnes Savida range.

And it'll do a year before it starts to look like a rag. In my experience anyway, dunnes clothes are absolutely horrible quality. Bad fabrics.

Generally, my approach is to spend a good bit on the basics like a classic black winter coat. A good one will last for years. Its also hard to get a nice one in the sales. (believe me I've tried, for four years)

The one I bought looks great but its got one of those tie belt things and is very fiddly to open and close. I would have preferred an easier coat I think.

Oh I know! If you're paying €350 for a coat in Karen Millen, its because its going to last. If you buy a coat in Dunnes, it's only for that season/year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

rorrissey wrote: »
    Asos have added a lot of coats/jackets to their website recently. I'm on the hunt for a bright red furry hooded parka this year! :D

Keep an eye on bershka because that's where i got mine last year. Its sooo warm.

Victoriassecret.com. Really nice classic styles that are great quality. I got a beautiful cobalt blue one with oversized collar from there 3 years ago and it still looks new. Usually when i wear it someone asks be where i got it. They work out at about €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

New Look always have a really good selection. And don't underestimate Penney's!! I bought mine there last year and it was soo warm!! Wore it day in, day out and will still do me this year, delighted!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Victoriassecret.com. Really nice classic styles that are great quality. I got a beautiful cobalt blue one with oversized collar from there 3 years ago and it still looks new. Usually when i wear it someone asks be where i got it. They work out at about €150.

Why did you make me look? :( They have some GORGEOUS coats, but there's not enough pictures of each one to make a judgement.

OMG some of those coats in Victorias Secret are divine!!! I'd never buy from the states though - just too risky. You'd probably get stung by customs as well :-( ah well the hunt continues!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hobbs in Kildare Village, they have a great range.

Between €170 and €250 for a coat, they've a crimson one I want!

OMG some of those coats in Victorias Secret are divine!!! I'd never buy from the states though - just too risky. You'd probably get stung by customs as well :-( ah well the hunt continues!

I think I did actually get stung for €50 now you mention it! But I suspected that would happen and kinda allowed for it. It's very much an investment long-term coat so I didn't mind.

I think I did actually get stung for €50 now you mention it! But I suspected that would happen and kinda allowed for it. It's very much an investment long-term coat so I didn't mind.

But wouldnt the american sizings be all off? Like what if it didn't fit/suit - it's different if you're buying from the UK but it would cost you a bomb to return to the US:(

But wouldnt the american sizings be all off? Like what if it didn't fit/suit - it's different if you're buying from the UK but it would cost you a bomb to return to the US:(

Well they had measurements so it was fine, fits perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Last year, I was on a hunt for a camel knee length coat. It sounds so simple but it took me long enough to find a nice one from Oasis. I think it was around 100-120 Euros. I'll definitely check Oasis out this year as well.

Zara had some really nice styles in the store at the moment. There should be more in a few weeks. Asos is always good for coats. And I got a duffle coat from Penney's to wear on days that I will practically see noone with my coat on :) They have a few nice duffle styles this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

There's lots of lovely winter coats in TK Maxx at the moment.

Advertisement