Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Marketplace

Options
  • 06-08-2012 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Chaps, is there any way to buy from the indy market place from Ireland? My son wants to get Castle Miner Z but all I get is 'offer isn't valid for your region' :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

If you set up a new profile from your PC, and use a random American address, you can download the profile to your 360, and access the US Marketplace using that.

If you want to buy games, you can order some US Microsoft Points from ebay and use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DjFlin wrote: »
    If you set up a new profile from your PC, and use a random American address, you can download the profile to your 360, and access the US Marketplace using that.

If you want to buy games, you can order some US Microsoft Points from ebay and use them.

So set up a new account from the pc, then buy it using US points, & I can transfer it to the console's existing Irish account??

EnterNow wrote: »
    So set up a new account from the pc, then buy it using US points, & I can transfer it to the console's existing Irish account??

Not exactly. The game will belong to your US account, so it will need to be signed in for you to use it.

Not exactly. The game will belong to your US account, so it will need to be signed in for you to use it.

So I'd need a whole new XBL profile? Pretty farcical given the UK have access to the indie market really.

Cheers

Edit - The free XBL account doesn't offer multiplayer, so would the likes of Castle Miner Z work with the free account or would I need a paid account??

So I'd need a whole new XBL profile? Pretty farcical given the UK have access to the indie market really.

Cheers

Edit - The free XBL account doesn't offer multiplayer, so would the likes of Castle Miner Z work with the free account or would I need a paid account??

Yeah, you have to jump through hoops for this one. Ireland doesnt have access to the Indie Marketplace for reasons I dont understand.

This might work:

Buy the game with your new US account, then when you want to play it, sign into XBL with your real Irish one, and sign the US one in as player 2. That might allow you to play the full game with the Irish account.

Assuming Castle Miner Z is just another Minecraft clone, it might just be easier for you to get Minecraft for Xbox.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you have to jump through hoops for this one. Ireland doesnt have access to the Indie Marketplace for reasons I dont understand.

This might work:

Buy the game with your new US account, then when you want to play it, sign into XBL with your real Irish one, and sign the US one in as player 2. That might allow you to play the full game with the Irish account.

Assuming Castle Miner Z is just another Minecraft clone, it might just be easier for you to get Minecraft for Xbox.

But would my new US account need to be something other than the basic free XBL account, in order to enjoy multiplayer with it? Ie a paid account

Yeah it appears to be some kind of Minecraft modification/clone. He already has Minecraft 360 but you know kids, if their friends are playing it, they want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

What he is suggesting is to play Castleminer Z from the Irish account once you have it downloaded on the US account, this should work as the poster suggested

Meesared wrote: »
    What he is suggesting is to play Castleminer Z from the Irish account once you have it downloaded on the US account, this should work as the poster suggested

Ok cheers. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't wanna waste money buy buying US points if it might or might not work.

Ok cheers. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't wanna waste money buy buying US points if it might or might not work.

I can confirm that it works with DLC, but I've never tried it with a full game.

I dont see why it wouldnt work, but I cant make promises. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

New UK account -> Irish MS Points ->Buy Content -> Never use profile again -> play content on your main profile thanks to local license on your console.

• Advertisement

New UK account -> Irish MS Points ->Buy Content -> Never use profile again -> play content on your main profile thanks to local license on your console.

Cheers man, can you explain the local license bit for me? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Cheers man, can you explain the local license bit for me? :o
    You essentially get two licenses when you purchase a piece of content. One for the purchasing Gamertag, in this case the UK\US Gamertag you are using to get past region issues preventing Indie Games from being purchased in Ireland, and then another for the console on which the content is downloaded. This enables all other profiles on the console to play the content.

If you do set up a dummy account for downloading, make sure you remember the email address and password that was used to set it up as if the content were to corrupt on your console, you will need to access the dummy account's download history to redownload.

Trying to make it as clear as possible but fear that there may be too much jargon. Let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

You essentially get two licenses when you purchase a piece of content. One for the purchasing Gamertag, in this case the UK\US Gamertag you are using to get past region issues preventing Indie Games from being purchased in Ireland, and then another for the console on which the content is downloaded. This enables all other profiles on the console to play the content.

If you do set up a dummy account for downloading, make sure you remember the email address and password that was used to set it up as if the content were to corrupt on your console, you will need to access the dummy account's download history to redownload.

Trying to make it as clear as possible but fear that there may be too much jargon. Let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

Top man, I'll give this a go over the nxt few days. Thanks :)

Oh before I do it, will the free XBL account suffice as the dummy account? I'd rather not have to pay for an account I'll never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

yes it will

Worked a charm lads, thanks very much. Castle Miner Z playing away on the Irish profile :cool:

For the record:

Created new yahoo.co.uk [windows live] email address
    Created new free XBL account using said new email address.
    Bought 400 EU points from CXBLC
    Downloaded new XBL profile onto console
    Redeemed points code using new profile.
    Purchased the content I wanted.
    Signen out of new account
    Signed into normal account

All content there & playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Nice one folks, I will use the same technique to get the 3rd Penny Arcade game cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Dublinpato

each console is eligible to 3 x 1 month free Xbox live trials so what i would do is make a UK or US email address then make a new Xbox account on your Xbox while setting this up on Xbox it will give you a choice to select a local just pick UK or US so u have a month of free Xbox live to do what you need hope this helps

Advertisement