Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morrissey compares London 2012 Olympics to Nazi Germany

• 06-08-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

A tad hysterical perhaps?

http://www.digitalspy.ie/showbiz/news/a397493/morrissey-compares-effect-of-london-2012-olympics-to-nazi-germany.html

During a recession, surely the tourism revenue generated by such an event can only be a good thing. Sure, the royal 'propaganda' machine has been in full swing of late, but again, it does seem to have worked in the U.K's favour in terms of publicity.

Morrissey has some valid points, but they seem to get lost in amongst all the general ranting he seems so prone to. Personally, I thought the opening ceremony was wonderful and seemed to lift everyone's spirits. Perhaps Morrissey should just lighten up a little.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some stuff that goes in Britain compares to Nazi Germany like all the military propaganda and the bs that surrounded their attacks with the US on Iraq and Afghanistan.

Especially how every one of their soldiers killed abroad is automatically a hero.

Haven't been watching the Olympics though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I wish he would just shut up.

That includes his singing.

Why do these 'stars' suddenly think they are qualified to speak about world affairs and politics etc.

Olympics, bringing nations together for the glory of sport. Yeah, reeks of nazism :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jaysus..

..I thought you meant our Marty said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Some stuff that goes in Britain compares to Nazi Germany like all the military propaganda and the bs that surrounded their attacks with the US on Iraq and Afghanistan.

Especially how every one of their soldiers killed abroad is automatically a hero.

100% true but Morrissey can't say that or no one would listen or print it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

http://www.digitalspy.ie/showbiz/news/a397493/morrissey-compares-effect-of-london-2012-olympics-to-nazi-germany.html

During a recession, surely the tourism revenue generated by such an event can only be a good thing. Sure, the royal 'propaganda' machine has been in full swing of late, but again, it does seem to have worked in the U.K's favour in terms of publicity.

Morrissey has some valid points, but they seem to get lost in amongst all the general ranting he seems so prone to. Personally, I thought the opening ceremony was wonderful and seemed to lift everyone's spirits. Perhaps Morrissey should just lighten up a little.....

Morrissey is a well known contrarian, having views like this is pretty much par the course for him.

But like all contrarians, he's so amazingly full of shit it's not really worth paying much attention to what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

wprathead wrote: »
    Jaysus..

So did I! Marty would probably have more relevance at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Ghandee wrote: »
    Why do these 'stars' suddenly think they are qualified to speak about world affairs and politics etc.

Because it gets people talking about them and it gets them in publications beyond what they'd normally expect to be published in.
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Olympics, bringing nations together for the glory of sport. Yeah, reeks of nazism :rolleyes:

It may not be pertinent, and I think Morrissey is probably on one of his trolling exercises (he probably has a record out soon or needs a new contract) but something like the Olympics can and has been used in the past for propaganda purposes. Y'know, '36, '08. The American and Soviet ones definitely had an element of propagandising about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Morrisseys trouble is that he believes that he knows more than everyone else and he believes that he's always right when in fact he's just an annoying self centered prat.

I saw him in Kilmainham a couple of years ago and he gave a long winded 'speech' (rant) about peoples freedom of choice and how they shouldn't allow others to dictate what they can and can't do. 'Stand up for yourself' and all that..
    I couldn't buy a burger in there that day because the self same Morrissey dictated to the promoters that the vendors were not allowed to sell any meat products.
    I reckon that he was too busy looking up his own arse to see the irony in that..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the chances of britain making back the money they spent on the games is slight, and there have been some farcical laws passed to protect the sponsors, but this is just a case of morrissey being morrissey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Morrisey is a prick. When he compared the attacks in Norway by Brevik to eating McDonalds, he lost any credibility he ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

the chances of britain making back the money they spent on the games is slight, and there have been some farcical laws passed to protect the sponsors, but this is just a case of morrissey being morrissey.
    Yeah, I think it is generally accepted that the country runs a fairly big loss for hosting the games, but businesses do fairly well out of it.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Morrissey is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

He's probably just pissed that he wasn't asked to sing. Or that the opening ceremony promoted racial tolerance - we know he's not a fan.

Every time I cringe at the latest pronouncement from a certain smug, sunglasses-wearing tax-dodging wanabe developer, I sigh and tell myself "at least he's not Moz". What a waste of talent that man is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Let's face it, Mozzer makes little sense at the best of times.

His attack on British patriotism also seems a bit odd. Didn't he go through a bit of a Nationalist faze in the 90's, when he was often seen wrapping himself in the Union Jack beside towering images of Skinheads?

Maybe under all his ranting and raving he's making at least a little sense. The London Olympics have been an incredibly expensive investment for the British public, and it seems like all that effort is likely to reap some less than satisfactory results in terms of a discernible profit.

It was a big risk and maybe it's not paying off exactly how they wanted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Morrissey lives in Los Angeles. Why is he complaining about something that does not affect him in any way, shape or form ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Morrissey lives in Los Angeles. Why is he complaining about something that does not affect him in any way, shape or form ?

Just because someone is no longer living in their home country, it doesn't mean they can't comment on what happens back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

After reading the article I still dont have the slightest clue as to how the london olympics and nazi germany are in any way similar :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

bb1234567 wrote: »
    After reading the article I still dont have the slightest clue as to how the london olympics and nazi germany are in any way similar :confused::confused:
    I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism? The "dazzling royals" have, quite naturally, hi-jacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. It is lethal to witness.

"As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand, the England outside London shivers beneath cutbacks, tight circumstances and economic disasters. Meanwhile the British media present 24-hour coverage of the 'dazzling royals', laughing as they lavishly spend, as if such coverage is certain to make British society feel fully whole.

Does not sound nazi, sounds more like the hunger games to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Ironic that one of his singles was titled 'Bigmouth strikes again' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Morrisey in "Saying something controversial to get a bit of attention" shocker.

Britain's answer to Sinead O'Connor should STFU to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

David Cameron loves him...odd but true.

Morrissey. An enigma rapped in a riddle. I wonder what his epitaph might read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

David Cameron loves him...odd but true.

Morrissey. An enigma rapped in a riddle. I wonder what his epitaph might read?

"Still whingeing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Morrissy is an arse .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Morrissey compares London 2012 Olympics to Nazi Germany

Album sales of course did not influence the reason, why he so publicly expressed his deluded opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Morrissey, Bono, Damon Alburn, Sineid O'Conor, Neil Young etc etc etc I try to tune out when they stop singing and start talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

If Carlsberg did moaners.. must be the Irish gene in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

wprathead wrote: »
    Jaysus..

Post of the year, I LOL'd, nice darts sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Morrissey is an insufferable self righteous windbag at the best of times, but he has excelled himself here.

It is an insult to history to compare a festival of sport to the Nazis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 waywardsun

Morrissy is an arse .
    So is Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Morrisey was relevant for 15 minutes 30 years ago.

Irrelevant ever since.

Just wants to get some attention.

waywardsun wrote: »
    So is Marty.

Ah no Marty's alrite, gud ol craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 waywardsun

Morrissey lives in Los Angeles.
    Didn't he live in Dublin a decade ago? Wonder why he left?

Irrelevant ever since.

In fairness the Smiths were a very good group and very influential to alot of the bands that came through later (Oasis, Stone Roses, radiohead etc) but Morrissey is just a funny fish to say the least, the fact that he and the rest of the band are no longer on speaking terms shows that well, he's just an oddball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Well in a sense all of the Olympic Games since 1936 have been influenced by Nazi Germany: both the opening ceremony and the torch relay were effectively invented by them for propaganda purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mozz " I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism......."
    I would have to agree with that - I've stopped watching the BBC.
    Thank god for RTE !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Irrelevant ever since.

Are you serious?

Morrissey has been an incredibly influential songwriter for countless Bands and Musicians.

He may be a self-involved pr*ck, but he's a incredibly talented self-involved pr*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mozz " I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism......."
    I would have to agree with that - I've stopped watching the BBC.
    Thank god for RTE !

+1
    BBC's studio coverage is unwatchable ,the jingoism is frankly disgusting .
    There are 205 countries competing in the games but the only one I hear mentioned is Team GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I agree with the OP's opinion. He makes valid, thought provoking points at times, but suffers from a tendency to veer off into over the top rants.

+1
    BBC's studio coverage is unwatchable ,the jingoism is frankly disgusting .
    There are 205 countries competing in the games but the only one I hear mentioned is Team GB.

Well maybe thats because they are a British broadcaster. If you were an outsider watching the RTE coverage of the Olympics you would say the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

never knew you could godwin a sports tournament!

and I learnt it in AH's!!I'm so shocked i'm surprised i could hit the submit reply button:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

He needs to learn that, the joke isn't funny any more and he's not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

People who speak there mind and dont agree and follow the norm always tend to get bashed for it.

He likes to voice certain views he has and i doubt he gives two ****s what anyone else thinks about it.

Fair play if ya ask me i wish more people would say what they really felt and grow a spine instead of wasting there lifes just smiling and nodding.

Plus its always ''****e talk'' when you dont agree with someone.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Doesn't know the difference between empirical and imperial but, yeah, the gist of what he's saying is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

In saying that there is a distinct lack of dissent about the games but he must accept that it's better to be jingoistic through winning at sport than making war on a tin pot dictatorship like Argentina had all those years ago. Anyone who could consider themselves as an astute observer of British life wouldn't have failed to notice the same pattern from years ago, eg things are bad, let's have a Royal wedding or a Jubilee and spend lot's of the taxpayer's cash and get them to love us for it. It's quite an old formula, bread and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In saying that there is a distinct lack of dissent about the games but he must accept that it's better to be jingoistic through winning at sport than making war on a tin pot dictatorship like Argentina had all those years ago. Anyone who could consider themselves as an astute observer of British life wouldn't have failed to notice the same pattern from years ago, eg things are bad, let's have a Royal wedding or a Jubilee and spend lot's of the taxpayer's cash and get them to love us for it. It's quite an old formula, bread and games.

What if things are good in a Jubilee year. Do they put it off until things become bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Skid wrote: »
    Morrissey is an insufferable self righteous windbag at the best of times, but he has excelled himself here.

It is an insult to history to compare a festival of sport to the Nazis.
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    "Before again urging the UK to "WAKE UP", the musician added: "It could almost have been written with the British public in mind, because although the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain, the 2013 grotesque inevitability of Lord and Lady Beckham (with Sir Jamie Horrible close at heel) is, believe me, a fate worse than life."

I know reading hurtssss, but now and again, it can be useful

hmm, i have a feeling i better spell it out. He didn't compare the olympics to nazi germany. he did mention that jingoism was evident, though that's not a real surprise and he did mention the media glossing over the UK's growing wealth disparity and hammering of the poor, (under the banner of patriotism, 'the scoundrels refuge') but well, that aint a surprise either. Still, at least there's a few calling it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Morrisey wrote:
    -because although the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain

I'm sorry, but this just isn't a reasonable or accurate thing to say. There are better ways to address notions of inequality and societal dysfunction than reaching for the Nazis.

I'm sorry, but this just isn't a reasonable or accurate thing to say. There are better ways to address notions of inequality and societal dysfunction than reaching for the Nazis.
    perhaps, it's certainly dramatic. but he didnt equate the Olympics to the Nazi party.

certainly the media in the Uk has edged closer to the US model, but there are still good strong voices like the Guardian and the Uk's Independent out there, (and indeed channel 4 Dispatches, Horizon, BBC's Panorama) amongst a number of smaller press.

Still, i do feel the breeze of Thatcherism blowing across the airwaves lately. which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

ArtSmart wrote: »
    perhaps, it's certainly dramatic. but he didnt equate the Olympics to the Nazi party.

certainly the media in the Uk has edged closer to the US model, but there are still good strong voices like the Guardian and the Uk's Independent out there, (and indeed channel 4 Dispatches, Horizon, BBC's Panorama) amongst a number of smaller press.

Still, i do feel the breeze of Thatcherism blowing across the airwaves lately. which is disappointing.

He chose that year quite deliberately. He was equivocating the current press standing with the likes of Der Sturmer, for example. It's a ludicrous thing to say.

He chose that year quite deliberately. He was equivocating the current press standing with the likes of Der Sturmer, for example. It's a ludicrous thing to say.
    yes, that's exactly what he was saying. about the press. and yes, a bit ott. but not without elements of truth. have you watched the NOTW inquiry? ouch. and that recent docu about the jockey Brain Fallon etc. nasty, nasty people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement