Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Xbox to USA - need advice

Options
  • 06-08-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm emigrating to the U.S, considering bringing my xbox. I'm not how the account system works as I believe there is a difference between EU and US accounts?

My options are either:

1. giving the console to my sister (I would keep the hard drive) and buying another console in the US so we can play together.

or

2. Bringing my own Xbox, games & hard drive and my parents getting a console for my sister here.

I have several games installed on my HD (COD, BF etc) and also Minecraft downloaded from Xbox live arcade onto the HD also. If I bought a new console there, used my existing HD and had the original discs, would I be able to play the games or would i have issued with region locking/not being able to access my dlc & minecraft on the US account?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Why dont you test it and put in a US DNS

Google on how to watch US netflix in Ireland/UK you will find instructions there

Your box will think its already in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There's no point bringing your PAL 360 to the US as any new games you buy on disc won't work, the console is region locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

With the DNS that doesnt work, it only makes Netflix think you are in the US, it doesnt act as a proxy for the rest of Xbox Live.
    There are a good percentage of region free Xbox games though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

your xbox is region locked
    if i were you i would sell it
    get a new one in america ( it would be cheaper because your switching to dollors with euros)
    then recover your account
    ring microsoft tell them your situation ( ring the american one )
    and they will change your country for you if possible

dont bring over your xbox because you wont be able to play any new games and if you try to sell it, its region locked to eu so chances are no one would buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

I spent the last year or so in america, so I had similar issues. Are emigrating for good?

I wouldn't recommend bringing your console over, you'll have to buy a new power adapter, which can end up costing more than a console. I just brought my hard drive and got a preowned xbox fom craigslist for $70 and sold the 20gb hard drive I got with it for $20. If you want to bring any controllers or anything they will work fine.

For normal games on a disk, some of them will work and some wont, if you look here they have a pretty good list of what games will and wont work. So you can check that list out and bring the ones you want, you can trade/sell what won't work here if you don' intend to come back.

Everything you have downloaded to your xbox will work fine. When you connect to xbox live from the states you will see the EU marketplace, you will need to buy EU points, you can purchase most items fine, but some items wont work (for example I bought GTA San Andreas when I was over there and it wouldn't download), but this is quite rare.

I created an american account for downloading netflix and stuff and had to jump through a couple of hoops for it to work (but that shouldn't be a problem now because we have netflix now anyway).

The major problem here is that you can't change your EU accoun into a US account. So you will never be using the true US xbox live unless you use a new account, this wasn't a huge issue for me because I was planning on coming back, but if you are planning on staying there it may be better to open a new US account and use that going forward. You will lose achivements, but if you register your new xbox serial with the account you bought games on you should be able to play them while signed on with any profile on that machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement