Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union

Options
  • 06-08-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone shed some light on this please I'm in mellifont credit union but did I hear they will be joining the drogheda credit union soon????thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Was announced in last Saturday's Irish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Ohhhh really must be true so!!!! Right thanks very much for your reply have to pop down during the week thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Will the premises in Mell be closing so?
    I've savings in both melifont and Drogheda, how will this work?
    Both amalgamated together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kbell wrote: »

You'll just have 2 accounts and can combine back to one if you wish.

These amalgamations are laid down by the regulators to keep smaller struggling CUs viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

These amalgamations are laid down by the regulators to keep smaller struggling CUs viable.

Yeah its happening all over with loads of the CU's. It's nothing negative to be worried about. (unless they change opening hours or something like that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

right i see so is mell one closed now for good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

kbell wrote: »

Can you have different accounts in different credit unions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

bewhiched wrote: »
    right i see so is mell one closed now for good!!

I wouldnt think so. The ones I know of that amalgamated are still open in both premises although they would be larger setups around Dublin so both offices would be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Yes. Once you fulfill the common bond requirements.

You will qualify automatically for the cu where you live. If you work as a teacher you could also fulfil the common bond of the teachers cu. Therefore qualify for that one too. A friend of mine is a member of three community credit unions. First one where she grew up. The second in a town where she lived and worked for ten years and the third where she currently lives.

Normally and prefarbly people would transfer their cu account to the new cu but not necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Mell is closing on the 25th, accounts transferred to Drogheda Credit union won't be accessible until the 30th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement