Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freezing plums

Options
  • 06-08-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi I have some lovely sweet plums in my garden and want to freeze them. I do not want to use sugar or any artifical sweetner. Can I just freeze after washing and drying. Advice please.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Wash and dry completely. You can freeze them whole or cut in half or pieces. Freeze on cookie sheet covered with saran wrap. When frozen put in container covering surface of plums with saran wrap. This way, individually frozen, you can take out as much as you want. This is the same for all fruit. The only problem is, when defrosted fruit looses it's texture and will be soft. Best used for toppings, compote, jam etc but not to be eaten as the original fruit

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_freeze_plums#ixzz22llaw69k

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Solas8

Chucken wrote: »
    Wash and dry completely. You can freeze them whole or cut in half or pieces. Freeze on cookie sheet covered with saran wrap. When frozen put in container covering surface of plums with saran wrap. This way, individually frozen, you can take out as much as you want. This is the same for all fruit. The only problem is, when defrosted fruit looses it's texture and will be soft. Best used for toppings, compote, jam etc but not to be eaten as the original fruit

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_freeze_plums#ixzz22llaw69k
    Thanks so much but what is saran wrap? I never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Solas8 wrote: »
    Thanks so much but what is saran wrap? I never heard of it.

I think it's just a brand name for cling film.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

It depends what way you want to use them in the future.

If for example you plan to use them for jam, or as a stewed fruit in tarts or deserts for example, then you are better off to stew the first first and then freeze it. If you freeze the fruit whole, then when you come to stew them in the future I find the fruit breaks down too much and becomes too watery. which isn't the best for some recipes.

You don't need to add sugar at this stage. The stewed fruit will hold perfectly once frozen. I always do this with any excess apples, black currrents, gooseberries and plums every year.

I usually stew up a load of the fruit and then put it in tin foil containers that you get a take away in. This means you have portion size amounts instead of one solid lump of stewed plums if you freeze all the stewed fruit together.

cozzie55 wrote: »
    It depends what way you want to use them in the future.

If for example you plan to use them for jam, or as a stewed fruit in tarts or deserts for example, then you are better off to stew the first first and then freeze it. If you freeze the fruit whole, then when you come to stew them in the future I find the fruit breaks down too much and becomes too watery. which isn't the best for some recipes.

You don't need to add sugar at this stage. The stewed fruit will hold perfectly once frozen. I always do this with any excess apples, black currrents, gooseberries and plums every year.

I usually stew up a load of the fruit and then put it in tin foil containers that you get a take away in. This means you have portion size amounts instead of one solid lump of stewed plums if you freeze all the stewed fruit together.
    Thanks, I will use it on my breakfast cereal of quinoa with yoghurt so stewing it will take up less room in the freezer. How long do I need to stew it for as they are pretty ripe?

• Advertisement

Ah thanks. I really appreciate the quick replie. Kate

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Solas8 wrote: »
    Thanks, I will use it on my breakfast cereal of quinoa with yoghurt so stewing it will take up less room in the freezer. How long do I need to stew it for as they are pretty ripe?

It really depends how many plums you have to stew and how stewed you like them. Chop them up a bit and add a little bit of water to a sausepan and then stew until they are the way you want them it shouldn't take too long, 20-30 min at most

cozzie55 wrote: »
    It really depends how many plums you have to stew and how stewed you like them. Chop them up a bit and add a little bit of water to a sausepan and then stew until they are the way you want them it shouldn't take too long, 20-30 min at most

Thanks, will do tomorrow if ever the rain stops in Mayo!!!! :)

Advertisement