Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do if you forgot to pay for something in a shop.

• 06-08-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Let say you are doing your weekly shopping and leave something in your trolley would you go back and pay for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I would certainly create two threads on it for starters! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I having double vision with this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Prob go back and pay for it. I hear Peter Quinn is setting up a school to show people how NOT to pay for stuff. Might sign up for a few classes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Stupid phone done a double post sorry. :P

TheBody wrote: »
    Prob go back and pay for it. I hear Peter Quinn is setting up a school to show people how NOT to pay for stuff. Might sign up for a few classes. :pac:

Phil Hogan is teaching the class.

Lesson one:
    Complain the service was bad and not worth paying for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Had lunch one time in a pub while waiting for someone, I finished up, they arrived and we were talking for a good while, while still talking we walked out the door and it only dawned on me driving home I forgot to pay. Popped in a few days later, told them and paid. It was my only time there so it wasn't because I'm a regular or anything, just the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I went back and I paid for it. €1 or €100, either way it's dishonesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

My nephew keeps robbing stuff from the shops. I always pay it back the next time im there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

If it was Tesco or somewhere similar then I would justify it with them probably overcharging me in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

stevek93 wrote: »
    Stupid phone done a double post sorry. :P

I would blame my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Get my c0ck out. I always get my c0ck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have often got my hair cut as a model in the hairdressers when money was tight and I needed a free cut.
    Went and had it done in Peter Marks a few years ago, had a great chat with the hairdresser, liked the haircut walked out and got the bus home.
    Apparently there is still a charge in Peter Mark for Model cuts. Would not even have booked it at the time if I knew. They are never getting that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    Phil Hogan is teaching the class.

...and the Healy-Eames are providing the free transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No. I got free beer once by doing this, worth about eight euro. It was an accident, by the time I figured out what happened, I was nearly home.

If I was just outside the door I probably would have gone back.
    I'm the worlds laziest thief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

RUNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What would you do if you forgot to pay for something in a shop.

I would do nothing of course and indeed how could I if I had forgotten.

Goro wrote: »
    I would blame my phone.

I usually put it down to concussion from a wife delivered frying pan to the back of the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Walked out of a cafe without paying before. Must have been funny because you had to walk right along the length of the counter to get to the door.

About an hour later when I realised I walked back. The girl at the till was noticeably relieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Walked into a headshop a couple of years ago to get a few bits and your man serving was so binned behind the counter he gave me my money back (120euros) ! I went back, asked him about it and he couldn't understand me, he thought he had short changed me then handed me another 20 euro.. LOL after that I just walked out happy!

Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago buying beer in a petrol station. I realised before I got in the car that he had charged me for one four pack instead of two. I went back in a paid. I wouldn't have enjoyed the beers thinking the man was going to have to explain to someone above him why the till is down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If it was a restaurant situation and I forgot to pay I'd definitely go back. The Waitor/tress would probably get a harsh taking to from the boss, if not fired. I couldn't live with the shame!
    In a huge supermarket chain I wouldn't give a **** tbh. They have far too much money as it is :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

only ever happened to me once, in the Supervalu @ Roches Stores that used to be in the Ilac Centre.
    I was only about 10 steps outside the place when I realised, and went back in very quickly to pay, hoping the security guard hadnt spotted me.
    I have too much of a conscience to not pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

A work mate was telling me he filed his car and then went in and bought a lotto totally forgetting to pay for his petrol. He realised when he got home and kind of said F-it.

Then he got a phonecall from the guards and the guard said from the CC camera I can see you made a mistake, so just go to the garage and pay the 70Euro and we leave it at that.

He said yeah I will do that and did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Let say you are doing your weekly shopping and leave something in your trolley would you go back and pay for it?

No
    seamus wrote: »
    I went back and I paid for it. €1 or €100, either way it's dishonesty

Its only becomes dishonest when you tell someone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Its only becomes dishonest when you tell someone :D

if you realise you didnt pay, but don't go back and pay it, it stealing, no grey area

if you realise you didnt pay, but don't go back and pay it, it stealing, no grey area

True. Asking this because a was talking to a mate last night he was in Tesco picked up a few DVDs had a wander around the shop forgot he had the DVDs in his hand! :eek: Walked out the shop only released it when he got to the car but didn't go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I've done this with a sandwich in my local Centra. Got the sandwich at the deli then got talking to someone. Once we finished our chat I walked out and went home. Was at home before I realised, didn't bother going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

I uhhh, yea forgot.i always 'forget to pay'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I always go back and pay.

Walked out of Dunnes with a bottle of Coke before. Went back after walking halfway home and paid.

Was buying a roll in Centra before. Handed over a 50 euro note and the confused sales assistant handed me back 97 euro! I told him and handed the extra 50 back.

Was getting my hair done by a trainee so it was half-price but I had to come in in the evening. The rest of the shopping centre was closed and the card machine had been turned off. I only had my laser on me so I couldn't pay. The supervisor hairdresser was really nice and directed me to the nearest atm which was a good five minute walk away. I felt so weird leaving and had to queue for ages at the atm. I'm sure he thought I had just legged it! But I went back and paid the 50 euro. It's now my regular salon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Honestly a bit surprised that so many people would go back and pay, I wouldn't be bothered

You're right it is stealing, but in the nicest possible way because it was never your intention in the first place but if i was gone from the shop when i realised, i wouldn't lose one wink of sleep over it.

Lawliet wrote: »
    Honestly a bit surprised that so many people would go back and pay, I wouldn't be bothered

Something tells me not everyone is telling the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I like to think I would be decent enough to go back and pay. Won't know for sure until it happens though. :P

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I like to think I would be decent enough to go back and pay. Won't know for sure until it happens though. :P

True, maybe if it was in one of the big retailers id just say fe*k it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Email them and criticize their security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I went back and paid for it, as I noticed the security gaurd looking at me in the shop and then I realised a sweet potato wasn't on my list, I know it seems silly but I guess I'm an honest person.. and paranoid seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

That happened to me once at my local shop. The owner was shocked when I brought it back. Not everyone from around here are bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Lawliet wrote: »

You have to assume most people wouldn't post about their scabbiness/thievery so the thread is inevitably one-sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I ate a loose grape once in tesco and forgot to tell the cashier to charge for it, I've been living with the guilt ever since.

humbert wrote: »
    You have to assume most people wouldn't post about their scabbiness/thievery so the thread is inevitably one-sided.

Not true, I do my shopping then leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

I bought a top in a chain store with a few other small bits, put everything up on the counter and the fella serving was super chatty so i entered the pin for laser card, talking away and not paying attention. Took the bag and off i went home (to a different county).. Then realised he had removed the security tags and never scanned it through!

I know someone that went into a tiny tiny country shop, the ones that sell everything. The man gave him 20c too much change so he told the shopkeeper and the shopkeeper left him pick out something for being so honest so he took an apple.

If its a huge chain store and i was home when i realised then fup it but if it was a small shop then id say something. There has been times where i have gone to the shop to buy milk or something and forget money and they just say pay next time and i do.

I saw someone walking out of a shop with a shopping basket on her arm. These things happen! I have also seen women handing children things to make it look like the child took it off the shelf without them knowing and walking out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Filled the car up and drove off once. Only copped it when I was driving past the filling station later in the day. I drove in, apologised and paid for the petrol. It was a good thing I remembered - I would hate to end up in court for a genuine mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

Nah, wouldnt bother. We are all going to be forgiven anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

A big chain and for something small I probably wouldn't. Though a small shop, or a case where a cashier's till would be out, then I would.

Was in a pub recently and paying for a round of drinks by card — the girl charged me 13p instead of £13, so went back up. Had to queue for awhile to get her attention, but could imagine the bollocking she'd get if it was spotted.

Feathers wrote: »
    A big chain and for something small I probably wouldn't. Though a small shop, or a case where a cashier's till would be out, then I would.

Was in a pub recently and paying for a round of drinks by card — the girl charged me 13p instead of £13, so went back up. Had to queue for awhile to get her attention, but could imagine the bollocking she'd get if it was spotted.

:eek: I take it you paid with laser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Yes, debit card. :) Why? Is there a charge on credit cards?

Feathers wrote: »

Yes, debit card. :) Why? Is there a charge on credit cards?

Nope well not that i know of. Off topic here but remember last year in Harvey Normans the women in the shop was trying to over charge me by €20 said it to her just looks at me and tuts. Lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

Walked out of a cafe without paying before. Must have been funny because you had to walk right along the length of the counter to get to the door.

About an hour later when I realised I walked back. The girl at the till was noticeably relieved.
    same thing happened to me. it was an internet cafe though. paid for internet. ordered coffee later.

an hour later, i realised my mistake. went back to pay. i'm still curious till today why he didn't ask me to stop me initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Did something similar myself a few years ago and went back and explained a few hours later - they didn't even notice that I didn't pay :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

littlelulu wrote: »

I know someone that went into a tiny tiny country shop, the ones that sell everything. The man gave him 20c too much change so he told the shopkeeper and the shopkeeper left him pick out something for being so honest so he took an apple.

Awh he was so nice about screwing up the change :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement