Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out and in need of advice

Options
  • 06-08-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

My husband and I have been TTC for the past 12 months. We got married 2 years ago, waited a year before we started trying, but have been actively TTC about a year, using ovulation kits etc.

We are both almost 32, in great health, reasonably fit. I had been on the pill for about 10 years (since we started going out basically) and came off it just before our wedding so i have been off it about 2 years.

We went to the GP and i had my day 21 bloods done which were fine, my husband did a home sperm test, which tested positively (he doesnt mind doing a proper lab test once we decide on where we go from here).

The GP has recommended that we go to a fertility clinic and listed a few. So the first thing is which clinics in Dublin (on the southside preferably) have people had experience with? And whats the normal procedure once you get an appointment in one of them?

Really what we are wondering is, where is it best to go, whats likely to happen at the start, and what kind of costs should we be budgeting for?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Hi Ribbons,

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. Some info here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056719607

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would go to your doctor and get them to a blood test to check out your iron and other vit levels as you need these to be at a correct level. I would ask the doctor also what you should be eating at the moment as you want to be as healthy as possible.
    The most important for you at the moment is to remain relaxed about this.
    One of my friends was trying to get pregnant for a long time and was very upset when nothing was happening. She was using the using ovulation kits etc.
    Both herself and her husband decided to take some time off from the ovulation test ect and said if nothing happens naturally in 9 to 12 months we will try ivf.
    Over the next 12 months they saved up some money, had a holiday and relaxed.
    My friend decided to attend the Hari clinic based in the Rotunda Hospital. Once they were referred by one of the consultants here they attend an open evening with other couples where they were told about ivf ect and given very honest information about the success rates. After this they attended a hari welcome meeting where they met one of the doctors and some other staff to discuss in further detail there treatment which was most suitable for them.
    My friend had one ivf treatment at 39 years of age and now has a baby.
    The website address for the hari clinic is www.hari.ie and it has a lot of information on it along with costs.
    If you have heath insurance I would ring the insurance company and see if they would cover any of the costs of these tests. I think that Lyay will give €1000 towards the cost of ivf but you need to check this out. Also you may be able to get some of the cost back by filling in the med one form at the end of the year - this is may be 20% of costs - keep all your bills. Ring revenue to see if you could get money back on this.
    Good Luck with this.

Advertisement