Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

price of sunscreen

• 06-08-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone who knows why a moisturising creams quadrupple in price when a bit of sunscreen is added?
    Is sunscreen wildly expensive to make? It's been around for a couple of generations so I hardly think they are trying to recoup R&D costs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Is there anyone who knows why a moisturising creams quadrupple in price when a bit of sunscreen is added?
    Is sunscreen wildly expensive to make? It's been around for a couple of generations so I hardly think they are trying to recoup R&D costs.

Simply it is to allow for half price promotions so that you think you are getting great value. - Same pricing formula operates worldwide excldung the discount supermarkets.

The Aldi sun cream was rated very highly by Which magazine last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 magicmike2212

The Lidl sunscreen is cheap and offers decent protection, if a little greasy. I wouldn't bother with the more expensive brand names unless its on special offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Sorry, haven't logged in for a while.
    I wondered about Aldi and Lidl sunscreens, if it was good.
    I suppose it just shows how I am fooled by the marketting tactics of the multinationals. It's all about profit and how much the market can take.
    And its almost impossible to get anything under factor 20. I have no intention of spending all day out in the sun, so I'd like to come back a little less pale than when I went.
    Anyway, thank you for your comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Tesco's own sunscreen is excellent, very thick but I found the kids shoulders didn't get any burn or heat rash when it was used - unlike other big brand names I won't mention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Probably economies of scale, packing etc, like how family size tins of beans etc are usually more expensive per 100g than small ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement