Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless repeater with ethernet ports

Options
  • 06-08-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Scenario is this, My brother lives next door and, due to the crappy linespeed he's getting from eircom, he's using my UPC wireless for internet access. It's fine for his laptop and other wireless devices but there's a couple of wired pc's upstairs in his house. My wireless signal wouldn't reach even if they had wifi card's. I want to extend the signal up there but have them connect using their Ethernet cards. So the obvious solution if a wireless repeater with ethernet ports, if such a thing exists.

Any recommendations? I have a couple of old dlink routers lying around but I think they're all borked so re-purposing them probably won't work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If you can put a wire between the houses then I suggest you do so.

Failing that most of the TP-Link wifi routers will do what you want, either bridging or repeating. Plenty of other brands will also have routers that support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Also, if you can stick open-wrt or dd-wrt on any of your old routers then you may be able to use them.

Advertisement