Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We should build wind turbines underground!

• 06-08-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

No no, hang on, hear me out. So it seems the main opposition to wind turbines is that they will ruin scenic areas and the countryside. Since most of our wind power will be generated on the west coast of Ireland this is a fair enough argument. But what if the turbines were stored underground and only came up above ground at night time. This would annoy no one since they wouldnt be able to see them in the dark. They could also be brought above ground at other select times during the day, like during times of strong or gale force winds. Restrictions could be placed on them also, eg, they are only allowed to be above ground for a maximum or 4 hours during daylight.

The UK want to buy wind energy from us and have said it will bring significant wealth to Ireland:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jun/18/ireland-wind-power-grid

So is this idea feasible?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jeasus! We'll be burying the dead in the open air next!

Seriously - the idea is always good but look how long it took just to get the Dublin port tunnel.
    Don't hold your breath on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

...Id imagine the cost for each one would be increased tenfold in order to do it that way...is it not windier at daytime?

TBH, wind turbines are not a great eyesore for me...I actually think they're pretty cool looking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Wind turbines are all over Europe and don't piss anybody off. Only in Ireland would we scorn free energy because some fucker wants an uninterrupted view of the mountains where their grandad was surprise butt-sexed by the Black & Tans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Great idea. Solar panels should only be used at night also.

Confab wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would we scorn free energy because some fucker wants an uninterrupted view of the mountains where their grandad was surprise butt-sexed by the Black & Tans.

Pics or GTFO:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Giant slabs of earth moving to one side by mechanics and giant windmills eemrging upwards from underground? Sounds like something akin to a evil Bond villain.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Confab wrote: »
    Wind turbines are all over Europe and don't piss anybody off.

They piss a lot of people off all over Europe, there is a lot of NIMBYism and opposition to them in every country.

Only in Ireland would we scorn free energy

It's not free, it costs a huge amount of investment and government subsidies to get the turbines, the networks and associated infrastructure set up.

That said I'm hugely in favour of renewable power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

We shouldn't build wind turbines these are the white elephants of the day, they have not succeeded in getting one gram of CO2 out of the atmosphere what they have succeeded in doing is employ about 200 thousand danes and germans who has pushed them into the EU energy charter.

We are been had.
    From Des Spiegel

http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,606763,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

So we potentially double the production / rollout and maintenance costs for the turbines AND cut the time they can be used in half (at least). Not sure this is feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Giant slabs of earth moving to one side by mechanics and giant windmills eemrging upwards from underground? Sounds like something akin to a evil Bond villain.

we already have portable toilets that come up out of the ground at night time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where To wrote: »
    Great idea. Solar panels should only be used at night also.

.. as long as they're only installed in cellars.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

juan.kerr wrote: »
    So we potentially double the production / rollout and maintenance costs for the turbines AND cut the time they can be used in half (at least). Not sure this is feasible.

Double production/rollout and maintenance costs? Where did you get that estimate? Oh yeah you pulled it out of your ass didn't you. Maintenance and production costs would be reduced because the turbines wouldn't be in operation for as long, and also wouldn't be exposed to the elements for as long.

delad wrote: »
    we already have portable toilets that come up out of the ground at night time

What's all this now?

x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 The MiniVan

Double production/rollout and maintenance costs? Where did you get that estimate? Oh yeah you pulled it out of your ass didn't you. Maintenance and production costs would be reduced because the turbines wouldn't be in operation for as long, and also wouldn't be exposed to the elements for as long.

OK do you have any idea how big those turbines are?I know they might look quite small far away up on hills from you but they are in fact MASSIVE!Try and think of the Father Ted episode where Ted is teaching Dougal about near and far away:D

Now imagine the cost of having to dig down over 20 meters for EACH turbine and the enormus cost and amount of electricity (this is what the turbines are suppose to be generating in the first place,kinda counter productive now aint ya:D) to rise these huge,several ton machines out of the ground everyday!

Sorry dude I dont think your idea is gonna catch on:)

:rolleyes:

What about building all the equipment that raises and lowers the turbines?

What about maintaining all the equipment that raises and lowers the turbines? Will they raise straight up out of the ground or swing up? Will there be a cover that slides across when it is 'underground'? The more moving parts the more maintenance costs.

If anything I lowballed the estimate. Jesus wept.

Any more great ideas? What about the inflatable dart board?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    What about the inflatable dart board?

...I'd buy one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We could have a network of pipes to all homes in the country from Leinster House, and power the whole system with wind and piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

OK do you have any idea how big those turbines are?I know they might look quite small far away up on hills from you but they are in fact MASSIVE!Try and think of the Father Ted episode where Ted is teaching Dougal about near and far away:D

Now imagine the cost of having to dig down over 20 meters for EACH turbine and the enormus cost and amount of electricity (this is what the turbines are suppose to be generating in the first place,kinda counter productive now aint ya:D) to rise these huge,several ton machines out of the ground everyday!

probably have to dig down about 120m actually. width would be close to 90m. This idea probably isn't feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Article is TLDR. How do we make the wind underground? Giant fans powered by peat burning power stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dig down 20 metres?
    Turbine towers are about 70m high and getting taller.
    The span of the blades is about 140m

probably have to dig down about 120m actually. width would be close to 90m. This idea probably isn't feasible.

Thats why I posted over 20 meters?

But hey thanks for clarifying again what I had justed posted about the idea not gonna work??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

not a fear of it.

How much energy will it take to lift a 80 foot turbine with 140 odd meter wing span out of a 150 foot hole?

I would think that is alot of energy... I would be very suprised if the turbine could generate that amount of energy in the 10 odd hours of darkness.

No offense but simple NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No no, hang on, hear me out. So it seems the main opposition to wind turbines is that they will ruin scenic areas and the countryside. Since most of our wind power will be generated on the west coast of Ireland this is a fair enough argument. But what if the turbines were stored underground and only came up above ground at night time. This would annoy no one since they wouldnt be able to see them in the dark. They could also be brought above ground at other select times during the day, like during times of strong or gale force winds. Restrictions could be placed on them also, eg, they are only allowed to be above ground for a maximum or 4 hours during daylight.

The UK want to buy wind energy from us and have said it will bring significant wealth to Ireland:

Have you seen the size of the turbines. I dont know much about them but would imagine their footprint size and their height alone would make it a none runner to have them emerge from the ground on demand.

...anyway, the west coast of Ireland really isn't suitable even for normal turbines - they'd be battered to a pulp in those winds and would probably have to be disengaged most of the time due to excessive wind speeds:rolleyes:

not a fear of it.

How much energy will it take to lift a 80 foot turbine with 140 odd meter wing span out of a 150 foot hole?

I would think that is alot of energy... I would be very suprised if the turbine could generate that amount of energy in the 10 odd hours of darkness.

No offense but simple NO

They are really ridicules things, they don't work when the wind is to weak or to strong so they only generate power 25 to 40% of the time. Denmark who have built most these things have not succeeded in shutting down one conventional power station as its wind today none tomorrow.

So these things have a hand in the building of gas power stations right across Europe because with gas you can shut them down easilly when the wind picks up.

But that policy has made Europe dependent on a despotic Russia who is not shy about using it''s gas pipeline in global politics. In other words they have us by the short and curlies and they know it.

Wind turbines should be gently put aside and forgotten about.

I will also mention the amount of extra grid these things have demanded
    with that investment we could have build a clean coal station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Heroditas wrote: »
    Turbine towers are about 70m high and getting taller.
    The span of the blades is about 140m

Yeah, creating the notorious death zone at the base of the tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

not a fear of it.

No offense but simple NO

Assume a weight of about 350 tonnes a height of 90m and a rated power of 2 MW.

That's (350*1000*9.8*90) = 308 700 000 J in energy required to lift it.

Convert that to MWh and it requires 0.08575 MWh of energy. For the turbine to earn the energy back it would have to generate a average power of at least 0.5% its rated power over the ten hours of operation.

I imagine your face to be somewhat like this :eek:

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    Yeah, creating the notorious death zone at the base of the tower.

Care to elaborate on the death zone part?Never heard of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

It would be fairly annoying to the poor unsuspecting cow that gets impaled on the fcuking thing

CSU wrote: »
    ...Id imagine the cost for each one would be increased tenfold in order to do it that way...is it not windier at daytime?

Eh... no.

Did you ever hear the one about the Kerryman who wanted to travel to the Sun....

Check this out - seems feesable...
    The problem with wind farms is that they’re stuck wherever they’ve been stationed. Granted, they’ve been installed in areas that benefit from high wind activity, but what if you had a portable wind farm that could follow you wherever you needed power? Enter the Mobile Cow Wind Turbine, designed by Pope Design!

The Mobile Cow Wind Turbine has the potential to solve energy issues wherever they might arise, as long as there is a strong wind blowing from the Cow's rear (even works when other Cow's pass wind). Consider it – be it a rock concert, a disaster relief mission or even a military operation – power is going to be needed and rather than using finite resources, what better way to offset any unfriendly eco-impact than to use the cow wind around you to diversify or completely power your energy needs?

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/christianp/christianp1109/christianp110900057/10648560-wind-turbine-in-the-field-of-cow.jpg

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I assumed you were going to suggest digging tunnels in cliffs and putting wind turbines in there.
    Hmm,
    /runs to patent office.

D1stant wrote: »
    Eh... no.

Did you ever hear the one about the Kerryman who wanted to travel to the Sun....

...I thought I read somewhere before that average speeds during daylight hours where higher because of the heat pushing the air around...could be wrond, and nope - never heard that story...car to enlighten me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I quite like the look of them, then again I don't have one in my line of sight to my house, I do have a small electrical pylon that annoys me, because its pig ugly. There are some on the east coast and I honestly can't understand the issue with them, if they are out on the sea they should lash as many as they can all over the place and maybe we might be able to take off to Australia.

I like this idea/design of turning normal electrical poles into wind turbines, such an amazing use of existing infrastructure.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/breakthrough-design-uses-electrical-towers-to-harvest-wind-power.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I'm all for natural energy sources no matter what it does to the scenery, the people complaining about really haven't got a clue about where we get out energy from at the moment and what effect it's having on the environment and the high costs involved in producing it.
    We need to think towards the future but at the moment politicians are more worried about their pubs closing down due to lack of business than the important things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

...anyway, the west coast of Ireland really isn't suitable even for normal turbines - they'd be battered to a pulp in those winds and would probably have to be disengaged most of the time due to excessive wind speeds:rolleyes:

Think that's bad? You should check out this video. Hope people open their eyes soon and realise that we have to ban these car things. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

That idea is not feasible. Do you realise how big of a hole would be needed for just one turbine? It would take up as much space as the empire state building! And that is without taking into consideration the space required for the gear to lift the turbine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Wouldn't crab people just sabotage them in years to come when we become dependent on them for power and take over from us:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

jesus wept

do people just bang the keyboard with their forehead and expect intelligent comments to appear ?

the OP has a idea that in fact is POTENTIALLY workable , might not be financially viable in the current climate , but the price of oil is only going one way

they could be placed if not under ground then close to it - has no one come across telescopic's before ? high pressure hydraulics ?
    also the windier areas dont need massively large ones , so the calculations done earlier on how much it would cost to " raise " the turbines is far from correct and a red herring ( does your face look like this :eek: ? )

so the power to drop and lift - easy

coastal area with a small bay , dam the sea end , use some of the power from the turbines to pump sea water into the dam , then when extra power is needed to lift/drop the turbines you release the sea water from the dam back into the sea - hydro power , this also can cover loss of production on windless days

it has been said by many many leading lights in the field of wind and hydro power that Ireland could be the " middle east " of green power in a decade , while only spending a 1/4 we used bailing out the banks

with some of the attitudes shown here, im not surprised ,we will still be 90% dependent on oil and gas imported, while surrounded by sea and living on the windiest rock in Europe

and we take offence to the stupid Irish joke's ?
    im thinking the truth hurts

...I thought I read somewhere before that average speeds during daylight hours where higher because of the heat pushing the air around...could be wrond, and nope - never heard that story...car to enlighten me?

Over large land masses yes. West coast of Ireland, dont think there is any difference

The Kerryman travelled there at night so his spacecraft would not burn up....

hoochis wrote: »
    That idea is not feasible. Do you realise how big of a hole would be needed for just one turbine? It would take up as much space as the empire state building! And that is without taking into consideration the space required for the gear to lift the turbine!

think before you post - it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A COMPLETE SOLID STRUCTURE

christ - compressed air or oil can push a telescopic turbine into the air , and keep it there until it needs to come down

its far from impossible - everyone thought the mars mission today was toast

well think again - we have the technology to DO ANYTHING - just maybe not the cash

and with that attitude we will still be burning polish coal and using British nuke stations - and pumping saudi oil

pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

I'am more of a underwater hairdryer type of inventer. Looking to invest?

Didn't I read somewhere RyanAir were launching the first fleet of wind turbine powered planes in Spring 2013.

edit, yup i did
    They're calling them airplanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Care to elaborate on the death zone part?Never heard of it?

If the blades fall off, or it topples over with you underneath it, your dead.

Didn't I read somewhere RyanAir were launching the first fleet of wind turbine powered planes in Spring 2013.

in fact teddy - you are kind of half right :D

all modern planes have a wind turbine that drops from the fuselage if the engines fail, as to give power to the avionics and guidance systems

so in a way , yes ryanair do have wind powered airplanes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

We could store the turbines in underground veledromes. The veledromes could then be used at night when the turbines are overground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Geo-thermal pipes into Dail Eireann. That's the way to go. Plenty of hot air there that can be used to heat water, and thus create steam.

Did you know a 11 KW Turbine costs about 80,000euro. That would power one and a bit electric showers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement