Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Enabling 2 estates in Turlough Co. Mayo

Options
  • 06-08-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi Folks!

With the Fibre rollout already in progress in the Castlebar area I have a question which Id like to put forward:

The village where I live is 5Km from the Castlebar exchange but is connected to the Ballyvarry exchange. Looking at the boundary map for exchanges here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69457536@N03/7725387838/in/photostream

The estates were build in 2004 and contain ducting for any possible cable servicing however I am unsure as to where the cabinet is which services the sites.
    Both sites are currently connected with a 1-2Mb sync rate and there is no hope of 3G coverage being received or exceeding those limits in the area by way of Vodafone, O2, or Meteor.
    These estates contain mostly younger generation families and good broadband service would be very much in the scope of the modern day family activity.

Considering that this catchment would further help reach more customer connections and aid targets can you confirm if these houses would be routed to the Castlebar exchange or indeed could receive FTTC?

If you would be kind enough to pass this on to a manager of a rollout team for further assessment I would be grateful, or indeed if you could furnish me with a contact I could send on a letter to that would be of great help!

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    N

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will not be far from the proposed Castlebar-Ballina walk/cycleway which will be built Castlebar-Museum this year. Have you checked whether they will include ducting with this project.

See links here for names/details etc http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79840938

Also contact Fibrepulse ( Fibre Pulse) in Castlebar about design principles and outline costings so you can cost this properly. If the council includes open access duct with that Greenway ....and if Ballyvarry is on the route or near it...or indeed why not THROUGH your estate...then you are beginning to make a case one you cost the gear and work out design principles.

You may take it that eircom will never upgrade rural exchanges...because their survival depends on them holding UPC at bay in cities and towns.... and even then you need to be within 200-500m of the exchange to get genuinely fast speeds.

Finally you need to ensure the management company for your estate ( if any) is entirely co operative on rights of way etc.

If you are very lucky someone from eircom will make an effort to contact you if you have the management company fully onside. However I very much doubt they will come in with a figure under €150k ...cash naturally. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Thanks SpongeBob appreciate the reply!

Im on the residents association committee for one of the two estates so ill check out the greenway plans and try to find out a little more detail on the nearest cabinet.

The N5 dual carriageway in the design phase which i saw the plans for run past the village within about 150 metre as the crow flies so there are a few possibilities for ducting etc. Im just hoping that Eircom would consider the catchment possibilities with the area.

Ill bring it up at the next residents association meeting during the week and see what the greenway plans include.

Im not sure where fibre pulse comes in though they manufacture the hardware, surely Eircom can cost assess this already no?

Regards,
    N

Ye'll not see a new N5 very soon. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ye'll not see a new N5 very soon. :)

Ok, Greenway it is!! :P

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Y
    If you are very lucky someone from eircom will make an effort to contact you if you have the management company fully onside. However I very much doubt they will come in with a figure under €150k ...cash naturally. :(

Forgot to mention, while a quote will probably be €150k for fibre, they would come in around €50k for a VSDL DSLAM for you guys based on what I hear...if they do quote a number.

• Advertisement

Thanks again SpongBob, Funny the Greenway project costing approximately 1.4 million with about 725k requested funding, why dont the council talk to Eircom and say hay were doing this were looking for funding hows about you give us 30k for sponsorship funding we give you full access to lay fibre along it and you get a reasonable catchment of houses which will count towards or exceed your 1million homes fibre connection project!!! Council put a couple of signs along the way promoting Eircom... Win win!

That is a very reasonable suggestion.

However the council would have to provide open access ducting (if anything, and open to eircom) and eircom are totally against any such ducting having fibre along both the old and new N5 themselves.

Perhaps they will come back to you with a decent wholesale ethernet offering later today. Let's see. Course you need a Comreg Operating Licence (€50 a year or so) before they can talk wholesale to you so I doubt it. :p

However if you are asked to PM your details anywhere I will suspect you are simply being set up for an old skool complete runaround with twist of timewaste and an 'I'll get back to you'. I'd advise you not to waste your time with it. :(

Ah, Ill see how it goes, its probably the only way to see whats possible is by knocking on as many doors as possible to try and get them to talk. Cheers again for the replies Spongebob I wouldnt have thought of some of the items you brought up!

Can anyone from Eircom shed any light? It seems from the NGB Wholesale site that there is 2 runs of fibre in the area already, albeit these are backhaul pipes.

Anyone in the Mayo Eircom branch I could contact to have a quick chat with and see if its feasible?

Cheers for any info,
    N

@ Eircom Rep.

hey ok there is definately a cabinet (sorry I drove past it no number...yet :))
    This cabinet may have fibre backhaul branched through it as the backhaul run junctions off here to go to the PARKE RSU.

Its is at the junction of J1719 at the centre of this map link

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=turlough+co.+mayo&hl=en&ll=53.886761,-9.207053&spn=0.000476,0.002371&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=3.944863,19.423828&t=h&hnear=Turlough,+County+Mayo&z=19

it is 1km from the estates wouldnt this at least equate to a 18Mb profile for VDSL on a fibre enabled cabinet?

Maybe there is a closer cabinet?????? as the fibre backhaul does run along the OLD N5 which is THROUGH the village!!!

Anyone?
    Thanks
    nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

@ Eircom Rep.

hey ok there is definately a cabinet (sorry I drove past it no number...yet :))
    This cabinet may have fibre backhaul branched through it as the backhaul run junctions off here to go to the PARKE RSU.

Its is at the junction of J1719 at the centre of this map link

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=turlough+co.+mayo&hl=en&ll=53.886761,-9.207053&spn=0.000476,0.002371&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=3.944863,19.423828&t=h&hnear=Turlough,+County+Mayo&z=19

it is 1km from the estates wouldnt this at least equate to a 18Mb profile for VDSL on a fibre enabled cabinet?

Maybe there is a closer cabinet?????? as the fibre backhaul does run along the OLD N5 which is THROUGH the village!!!

Anyone?
    Thanks
    nick

Hi Nick,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I have been asked if you could PM me with the names / full address of the estates in question.

Also would be able to provide some contact details (if you are willing to be the point of contact)?

Many thanks, Mark

Hey Mark,

How are things?
    Just wondering if you were able to forward on the information to a suitable contact?

(PM if needs be.)
    Thanks,
    Nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hey Mark,

How are things?
    Just wondering if you were able to forward on the information to a suitable contact?

(PM if needs be.)
    Thanks,
    Nick.

Hi Nick,

Spoke to Mark just now. The situation at the moment is that he has contacted the fibre roll-out team regarding this. There has been no further info given to us at the moment but as soon as we get an answer we'll let you know. Sorry again for the delay, it's one of those things that has to be looked at in a few departments before we can give a solid answer. Will let you know as soon as something comes back.

Regards

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi folks,

First, let me apologise for the delays in getting an answer on this one. As I said above, not something we can get an easy answer on. We've gotten contact details for zt-OctaviaN to contact them directly (have PM'd you the info) Thanks for bearing with us on this one, and apologies again.

James

Advertisement