Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud watch for Perseid meteor shower (Aug 11, 12 and 13)

Options
  • 06-08-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I though it would be a good idea to start a cloud watch thread for the Perseid meteor shower this weekend to find out the best possible viewing spots around the country if/as the cloud rolls in.

If you don't know anything about meteor shower viewing this should help
    http://www.wikihow.com/Watch-the-Perseid-Meteor-Shower

There will be a waning crescent moon on these nights but it shouldn't ruin the show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

OMg ! hahaha i was only just about to do something similar!! :D hahaa!

Fingers crossed! MIght go into to the photography section to see if anyone is up for a event somewhere like the wicklow mountains or something ! :)

For anyone interested i just posted this to see what people think.

Could be good .
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80096565#post80096565 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Sunday night/Monday morning is looking the best for Leinster on here
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Ireland?over=arrows&symbols=none&type=cloud

Friday was looking good on it yesterday ?!? anyone got any other cloud maps, I backed up my weather bookmarks & cant find them now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Iancar29 wrote: »
    For anyone interested i just posted this to see what people think.

Could be good .
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80096565#post80096565 :)

I was going to suggest you post something on the astronomy forum, then I figured that I would post a link to the Dublin Stargazers meetup group. Went to the Meetup page to get the link and noticed a certain Ian Carruthers had joined yesterday. Boy you're fast :D

Calibos wrote: »
    I was going to suggest you post something on the astronomy forum, then I figured that I would post a link to the Dublin Stargazers meetup group. Went to the Meetup page to get the link and noticed a certain Ian Carruthers had joined yesterday. Boy you're fast :D

haha ... ye i got told about that page too.

But they are going to the sugar loaf on the saturday , im in work saturday till 8 but off then on sunday for the week. SO without a carmobilio it would be a tad difficult getting there. :/

So im just gonna try bribe some mates to get out somewhere dark enough if all goes well.

I wont take any cloud forecast maps seriously till thursday to be honest. Its one of the most difficult things to model . Fingers crossed though :)

If anyone here would be interested in going anywhere Saturday or sunday evening to try do some night photography let us know :)

• Advertisement

I wont take any cloud forecast maps seriously till thursday to be honest. Its one of the most difficult things to model . Fingers crossed though :)

Very true Ian, Thursday will be the day. Those maps have changed a lot again Saturday night looks awful all over the country, Sunday is not good either :/ but it seems to have slowed down compared to yesterday, I hope it slows more!!! I've asked M.T. for some advice on this too as he got it perfect last time to within 15mins of cloud clearance

UnitedKingdom.cloud.108.cc23.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I set myself up as a long range weather forecaster a while back. Heres an excerpt of an interview I gave last week....

So, Mr (Calibos), this newspaper understands you have a history of very accurate long range forecasts that rival the likes of Peter O'Donnell and the Donegal postman. Can you explain to us the methods you use to make these forecasts??

Sure thing John. First I consult my star charts and find out when there are going to be things like Planetary conjunctions, Lunar and Solar eclipses, metoer showers, ISS flyovers and the like. Its also very important to know what part of the month the new moon occurs....

Ah, so you use astrology to predict the weather??

Not at all John. I use Astronomy and I am frankly offended that you compared me to an astrologer. At any rate, Astronomy is only a small part of the data set I use to formulate my forecasts. I also use outdoor festival and gig guides, sporting event calendars, list of bank holidays for the year, School Holiday and exam schedules. Another important component is when I decide to wash my car......

M.T. is throwing in some advice on the main forecast :)

Best get out tonight folks for viewing conditions are only looking favourable tonight .. then maybe again on monday.

Best of look all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Good clear night out there tonight.... I was out for about 1 hour and spotted 12 meteors, 2 planes, the ISS and many many satellites....busy skies up there but thankfully very little cloud to interfere with the view.

Happy spotting!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah not too often I can comfortably lie in the back garden in a t-shirt at 2am looking at a totally clear sky, beautiful night out there

Saw quite a few meteors and plenty of satellites. Clear and dark enough to see what I think is the milky way (brightish streak across the centre of the sky) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If anyone is out Saturday night (early Sunday) and happens to find a clear spot, then look for Jupiter very close to the Moon. In parts of the eastern hemisphere, around 2100 GMT Saturday (10 p.m. IST) viewers will see the waning half-moon occult Jupiter (pass in front of it), a process that takes over an hour to complete. Since the Moon (and Jupiter) don't rise until after midnight local times, by about 0100-0200h in Ireland observers would see Jupiter leading the moon out from the eastern horizon. Venus follows and will also be occulted at about the same time of night early Tuesday in eastern Asia or at Monday 13th at 20h GMT. I doubt that many would read this before sunrise today, but if you do, all three should be easily visible but with Jupiter between the moon and Venus at present.

I also have clear skies and will take a look around 0100h to see what I can spot of the Perseids. That will be 0900h in IST.

Thanks M.T. I'd heard that Jupiter would be taking the moon on a walk tonight ;) hopefully if the cloud goes away I'll get a nice picture of it!

I'm going to make a run somewhere in Wicklow tonight hoping the cloud does indeed break up a bit, does anyone have a good link to a real time cloud map, google maps doesn't seem to want to do it's weather layers on my phone, a good link would be very much appreciated

It's ok found out that http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/?tab=map&map=Rainfall works on my phone, the cloud seems to be thinning (prays)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Looks like there may be a clearance coming up from the South over the next few hours, Waterford and part of Wexford look to be clear at the moment. More hopeful of seeing something tonight now!
    http://sat24.com/en/gb

Thanks Trogdor! Push it up to Wicklow, I'm waiting for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Spitting rain in Kildare at the moment. Not looking good :(

If you do find a hole in the cloud cover, note the following -- according to my "Skyglobe" program, Jupiter and then the moon appear in the east-north-east around 12:45 to 12:50 p.m. and so are probably easily seen by 1:30 to 2:00. Venus rises a little after 2:00 a.m. The Pleiades show a bit earlier than the moonrise, a little after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Took a spin up the wicklow mountains, there was a few clear patches around but none really lasted any length so didn't really see an awful lot.

Well, I spent the better part of an hour (0200-0300 local time) out in the darkest place I could find around here, and despite hazy clear skies and a good view of the moon, Jupiter and eventually Venus, managed to spot a grand total of two fireballs, one rather faint and one quite bright that almost bisected the Moon heading the wrong way (I thought), usually when I've watched the Perseids, they come out of the northeast quadrant, but both of these dropped towards the point of sunrise. Odd. I know they tend to radiate in various directions but still, a worthwhile effort but a lean harvest compared to what I have seen in other years. The moon is really not that bright to wash out the display, it is barely a quarter moon now.

A little after the peak too, I'm suspecting. This is a leap year too so 12 Aug would be more like 13 Aug most years.

I also saw a coyote (wrong forum?).

• Advertisement

Anyone gonna go try see some of the last ones tonight ? , looks like it'll be patchy cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Anyone gonna go try see some of the last ones tonight ? , looks like it'll be patchy cloud.

i may give a peep and see,which direction do i look.:)

TURRICAN wrote: »
    i may give a peep and see,which direction do i look.:)

UP..... ;)

Once ur facing north you'll should see some :)

Just downloaded star map to the iphone so im all set:D

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Just downloaded star map to the iphone so im all set:D

Where abouts are you located?

Where abouts are you located?

County Wexford Campile.
    just outside new ross,sounds better than campile
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Typical perfect skies tonight but oh no couldn't have that for the 2 previous nights! Still gonna try for an hour tonight

Typical perfect skies tonight but oh no couldn't have that for the 2 previous nights! Still gonna try for an hour tonight

Very true!!!.... HEading up near the airport too myself now... with the camera this time :)

Really clear when the little bits of cloud pass in Dublin now, seen 2 great ones for being in the light pollution area (must have looked amazing outside it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Went outside last night for a little while to try and spot the ISS but the cloud cover was too thick. Only spotted 3 stars through the gaps! Hope the rest of ye got a good view!

Advertisement