Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to kill tree stumps

Options
  • 06-08-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

hi,,,just moved to a new gaf and theres 7 tree stumps in the garden..any suggestions on the best and quickest way to kill them...setting them on fire isnt an option

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're deciduous tree stumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

i have no idea...they are stumps....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Drill some long/deep 20mm wide holes into the stump and roots and pour in industrial strength "glyposphate".

Tree stump dead in around 2-3 weeks and ready to be dug out.;)

NAD out at Blakes Cross sell it in 1 litre bottles and larger drums.

This is serious stuff,so you really need to carefull when using it.;):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

B&Q sell biactive roundup. Kills everything.

In a white bottle, the green stuff is useless in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

paddy147 wrote: »

Tree stump dead in around 2-3 weeks and ready to be dug out.;)
    Why the need to kill stump and then dig out? I would only kill stupm if you are going to leave it as this will prevent continious sprouting of shoots as it tries to regrow. If its small enough to dig out then thats all thats required. Dig out stump then its dead:-). No expensive chemicals needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if there's no growth from them, then they're already dead, probably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rje66 wrote: »
    Why the need to kill stump and then dig out? I would only kill stupm if you are going to leave it as this will prevent continious sprouting of shoots as it tries to regrow. If its small enough to dig out then thats all thats required. Dig out stump then its dead:-). No expensive chemicals needed.

It made it very easy for us,leaving it for 3 weeks.

It litterly lifted itself out of the hole in 1 go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

if just want to remove tree stump then dig around stump to find major roots then cut major roots with axe, pull out stump!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

thanks for all the replies...had a landscaper out a he said the wont grow back..he also said it would be 100quid per stump to grind down...so were gonna raise the garden to cover the stumps...thanks again

Advertisement