Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help choosing cable router

Options
  • 06-08-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am really hoping someone can help me...I am an Imagine customer & have been since it was Irish Broadband, I use the breeze outdoor service, with an alvarion unit in the house. I contacted them to ask about setting up wifi in the house & all I was told was to purchase a suitable cable wireless router which is compatible with the breeze service and to plug it to the alvarion unit once I got it.

I asked them if they could recommend a "suitable" model & was told unfortunately they do not supply breeze wifi routers anymore. So now I am not sure what I should be looking for. My budget is tight so I am not in the position to buy a very expensive router but if anyone knows of a reasonably priced easy to install one I would really appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If I remember rightly, they just need a standalone router, with no form of integrated modem, so it'll just be one WAN ethernet port to go to the Alvarion, and LAN ethernet ports for the internal devices. They tend to just use the misleading term of cable router since they're normally used with separate cable modems such as UPCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cable router is what they're called in the Argos catalogue. Word of advise, avoid Belkin, Linksys and Netgear are good brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LauraK80

Thank you both so much. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

LauraK80 wrote: »
    I am really hoping someone can help me...I am an Imagine customer & have been since it was Irish Broadband, I use the breeze outdoor service, with an alvarion unit in the house. I contacted them to ask about setting up wifi in the house & all I was told was to purchase a suitable cable wireless router which is compatible with the breeze service and to plug it to the alvarion unit once I got it.

I asked them if they could recommend a "suitable" model & was told unfortunately they do not supply breeze wifi routers anymore. So now I am not sure what I should be looking for. My budget is tight so I am not in the position to buy a very expensive router but if anyone knows of a reasonably priced easy to install one I would really appreciate the advice. Thank you.

I have the same setup as you (IBB Alvarion etc)
    I use a Fritz Box 7270 but any of the Fritz boxes should do.
    You just use the first LAN port to connect up to IBB and put in your IP address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LauraK80

Thank you for that Xantia.

I have been looking online today at what is available. I wonder would this netgear one be alright?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WGR614UK-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B0000C1WO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344352541&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'd go with 802.11n if possible, and that particular one isn't sold by Amazon so SuperSaver delivery doesn't apply.

Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR841N-300Mbs-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_0 could suit, although I haven't used one. If you bring your order over £25 they'll offer free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Did you get a router? I used to be with IBB and have a netgear router i used to use... Your welcome to it if you want... Where u based?

Advertisement