Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Murphy memorial four miler - Sat Sept 15th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Just giving Sliabh Buidhe Rovers big annual club race a bump up the list - entries are open online on www.runireland.com, with full details there, or on the clubs facebook page, it'll be great to see a big turnout, with hopefully a few boardsies among the entry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

After a (very!) short bit of training, i've decided to make this one my race debut. Hoping for safety in numbers.

Good to hear Druss..... with a bit of training and pacing urself correctly over the first mile u'll get around the 4miles fine cos it's a good course and the couple of hills on it are very runnable....plenty of people get PBs around it..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Anyone know how flat or hilly this course is?

Pronator wrote: »
    Anyone know how flat or hilly this course is?

I don't have a course profile or map-my-run for the course Pronator, but for anyone that knows Ferns, the course starts outside the church with a very gradual hill for the first 200m and it then does a lap of the village (with a slightly longer section of that hill towards the end of the first mile).....most of the rest of the following two miles is either flat or downhill with a steady drag for the last mile (but it's on very good surface on the hard shoulder so it's very runnable)....... I'm obviously biased being a member of the organising club but many people find they run a good times on it (including myself) and that it's a very fair course... hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭runnerboy

Cant recommend this race highly enough, good race, good atmosphere all the food in the world and good prizes.
    We hope to have a full team down and hopefully bring the team prize back up to carlow.
    best of luck to SBR in this fantastic race

runnerboy wrote: »
    Cant recommend this race highly enough, good race, good atmosphere all the food in the world and good prizes.
    We hope to have a full team down and hopefully bring the team prize back up to carlow.
    best of luck to SBR in this fantastic race

Thanks Runnerboy.......hopefully there'll be a few teams there fighting for the prize :) and there's a ladies team prize too (four to score also) so any clubs who are able to assemble at least four fit women should come to Ferns also, if ur not in u can't win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Must say that I really enjoyed my first race day experience! I didn't have time to hang around for the race video and post race race refreshments, but I thought things were really well organised. Also thanks very much to the kind folk on registration duty who kept an eye on my bag while i was on the road!

The course was as described by bewleys berry and indeed very runnable. I'm happy enough with my time. Far faster than I've ever gone in training over that type of distance.

I went through waves of indecision in the first mile where I thought that a) I was going too slow and getting bunched in and b) realised i was well above my normal pace. In retrospect, I think I could have got closer to 27 mins or so with a bit more know how but overall very pleased with how it went. My previous best was 32 mins plus and there is over 3 mins gone off that.

I hope to be back next year to have a crack at getting closer to the 25 mins hurdle!

Results are up here.

druss wrote: »
    Must say that I really enjoyed my first race day experience! I didn't have time to hang around for the race video and post race race refreshments, but I thought things were really well organised. Also thanks very much to the kind folk on registration duty who kept an eye on my bag while i was on the road!

The course was as described by bewleys berry and indeed very runnable. I'm happy enough with my time. Far faster than I've ever gone in training over that type of distance.

I went through waves of indecision in the first mile where I thought that a) I was going too slow and getting bunched in and b) realised i was well above my normal pace. In retrospect, I think I could have got closer to 27 mins or so with a bit more know how but overall very pleased with how it went. My previous best was 32 mins plus and there is over 3 mins gone off that.

I hope to be back next year to have a crack at getting closer to the 25 mins hurdle!

Results are up here.

Good to hear that u enjoyed ur first race Druss. The club always puts a lot of work into organising the Mick Murphy and there was a couple of new things this year that we tried out which worked well, chip timing being the main one......if there's any other things (positives or negatives) that would help improve the race, the club is always happy to hear feedback.

U got on well with ur own run, well done, as most people tend to go too fast (inc myself :p) at the start of races so it sounds like u paced urself well by holding back a bit early on (if i'm taking u up right???).....

Get training earlier next year and u'll fly the race and go much quicker than what u did on sat....... :)

Advertisement