Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christian faith and the Olympics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

What the Op failed to mention when discussing the free condoms in the Olympic Village is that it also provides

http://www.london2012.com
    A Multi-Faith Centre where five faiths will be represented including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism. A team of more than 50 chaplains from the different faiths will work in the multi-faith centre to offer support, pastoral care and spiritual help. Services will include one-to-one support, group meetings and worship services

P.S, the free condoms could be a cunning plan to catch the drug cheats. Some performance enhancing drugs cause increased sex drive as a side effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Now now Bannasidhe,
    that is NOT the christian thing to do!!
    Accept Smurf into your heart, meet him for coffee some day on campus, introduce him to your friends, and allow him to cross dress in your clothes..... ITs what Jesus would do!!

But...he would see me as a cross dresser cos I wear pants so if he wore my clothes it would all get very confusing.

As for the coffee on campus - no body deserves to be subjected to that!

I do think you would benefit from a little less coffee today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But...he would see me as a cross dresser cos I wear pants so if he wore my clothes it would all get very confusing.

As for the coffee on campus - no body deserves to be subjected to that!

I do think you would benefit from a little less coffee today ;)

You are a truly evil womyn, wearing a mans garb. Take her away to the pyre.
    Its my first day getting off the Crack pipe leave me alone!!

P.S, the free condoms could be a cunning plan to catch the drug cheats. Some performance enhancing drugs cause increased sex drive as a side effect.

Could some non-practicing catholic please tell me the correct way to dispose of that unGodly prof-lactic? We will no longer refer to it by its common name in this thread.

You are a truly evil womyn, wearing a mans garb. Take her away to the pyre.
    Its my first day getting off the Crack pipe leave me alone!!

It's not a man's garb - it's mine.

Maybe a lie down in a dark room would help. You seem to be over exciting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

OK, folks. While it is permissable to vocally disagree with Snappy Smurf's views, let's cut out the personal stuff.

Remember, attack the post, not the poster!

Taking unwarranted Shots at our Olympic team, be they male or female in what ever sport they are competing is ungentlemanly/ladylike, unpatriotic and most of all uncalled for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 nikkime

The Olympics are anti Christian in almost every way, and are steeped in occult symbolism. The ancient Greek Olympics were always rife with mass orgies and sacrifices to the pagan gods (demons). Today we have the torch which is carried to pillar and post in the build up to the games. The torch is a symbol of Lucifer - the name Lucifer itself meaning the "light bringer" - this "light" refers to the intellect, knowledge or illumination that Lucifer supposedly brought mankind which saved him from the enslavement in the Garden of Eden.

In Genesis we can read about the Tree of Knowledge (satans way) versus the Tree of Life (Gods way). Those who choose the Tree of Knowledge will "surely die". This is because satans way is to elevate man so he begins to think that he too can become god. This is the very spirit of the Olympics - where every athlete is totally wrapped up in themselves striving to be number one - spending every moment possible trying to elevate themsleves to be "godlike" in terms of their respective sport and receive the gold medal. Christianity teaches us to look outside of ourselves and to be charitable.

This is not to say that these sports people aren't charitable. But the complete dedication to achieving ONES OWN goals over trying to help those more needy is NOT a Christian message. These sports people will be held up as heroes, for dedicating their lives to their OWN goals. What about the real heroes who dedicate their lives to helping others? When do we ever spend a month of our lives glued to our TV's watching these people feeding the homeless, clothing the poor etc

In terms of occult symbolism - during the Olympics Opening ceremony you could see the Tree of Knowledge http://worldtruth.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/2012-07-27T193230Z_361872761_LM2E87R1I9V2R_RTRMADP_3_OLY-OPEN-CEREMONY-DAY0-ACT11-439x640-309x450.jpg

There was tonnes more occultic symbolism, including the actual music being played - but thats probably best left for another day.

I think until they start sacrificing goats and virgins, I dont think they crossed that line. If there is basis I still doesnt mean we should pull out of the olympics. I wouldnt like the neighbours pointing and sniggering

I think until they start sacrificing goats and virgins, I dont think they crossed that line. If there is basis I still doesnt mean we should pull out of the olympics. I wouldnt like the neighbours pointing and sniggering

Hitler used the 1936 Olympics to fuel German Nationalism which swelled the "pride" of the Germans so much that they began to BELIEVE they were the superior race. This ego maniacal belief held by their population en masse was used to foment the second world war, and led to the sacrificing of millions of lives and untold misery.

Perhaps this is why "pride" is first of the 7 deadly sins in the Bible. Because it can and will be used for the destruction of man. We need to be wary of becoming full of ourselves...full of pride.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour...
    1 Peter 5:8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

nikkime wrote: »
    Hitler used the 1936 Olympics to fuel German Nationalism which swelled the "pride" of the Germans so much that they began to BELIEVE they were the superior race. This ego maniacal belief held by their population en masse was used to foment the second world war, and led to the sacrificing of millions of lives and untold misery.

Perhaps this is why "pride" is first of the 7 deadly sins in the Bible. Because it can and will be used for the destruction of man. We need to be wary of becoming full of ourselves...full of pride.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour...

It is possible to have a right attitude to sport and the Olympics. What you're saying is not to be taken away with national pride, and I agree wholeheartedly but the idea that the Olympics are something evil is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Yes. Sprinting caused a war.

Not the massive cult of personality he drummed into people's heads. Not his colossal rallies at Nuremberg and his subsequent vile, if quite well-shot, propaganda campaigns.It was just the Games. The Games at which his "master race" was humiliated by Jesse Owens.

Has anybody else built a campaign of destruction on the backs of a few gold medals? There are many, many factors you are not taking into account here.

Edit to say - Minimum age for leaving school is Ireland is 16.

15 also works ;)

bluewolf wrote: »
    15 also works ;)

Could be. I left school when dinosaurs roamed the Earth so had to rely on citizen's info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

1936 hardly marked the beginning of the Nazi idea of the "master race", the Nuremburg laws had been adopted the year before with little public opposition from German citizens. The Olympics are a sporting event, should all sporting competition be abolished lest it encourage pride on the part of the participants?

Quatermain wrote: »

Not the massive cult of personality he drummed into people's heads. Not his colossal rallies at Nuremberg and his subsequent vile, if quite well-shot, propaganda campaigns.It was just the Games. The Games at which his "master race" was humiliated by Jesse Owens.

Has anybody else built a campaign of destruction on the backs of a few gold medals? There are many, many factors you are not taking into account here.

Drop the attitude.

Where did I say Hitler ONLY used the Olympics? However it was a MAJOR factor in creating the cult of personality - which is why he ordered Leni Riefenstahl his chief propaganda film maker to chronicle the events and use it as a major tool to swell Nationalism. This Olympic propaganda was shown all across German theatres. Seems strange theyd do all this for something as trivial as sprinting....does it not?

Theres nothing with being proud of your country but when its used to create a nation of zealots with a superiority complex - well hasnt history taught us how that plays out in the end?

And the art of debating is to tackle facts - not to be flippant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Olympics are anti Christian in almost every way, and are steeped in occult symbolism. The ancient Greek Olympics were always rife with mass orgies and sacrifices to the pagan gods (demons). Today we have the torch which is carried to pillar and post in the build up to the games. The torch is a symbol of Lucifer - the name Lucifer itself meaning the "light bringer" - this "light" refers to the intellect, knowledge or illumination that Lucifer supposedly brought mankind which saved him from the enslavement in the Garden of Eden.
    You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.

Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under a bushel, but on a lamp stand; and it gives light unto all that are in the house.

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:14-16
    11 While the people were listening to these things, Jesus proceeded to tell a parable, because he was near to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear immediately. 12 Therefore he said, “A nobleman went to a distant country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return. 13 And he summoned ten of his slaves, gave them ten minas, and said to them, ‘Do business with these until I come back.’ 14 But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We do not want this man to be king over us!’ 15 When he returned after receiving the kingdom, he summoned these slaves to whom he had given the money. He wanted to know how much they had earned by trading. 16 So the first one came before him and said, ‘Sir, your mina has made ten minas more.’ 17 And the king said to him, ‘Well done, good slave! Because you have been faithful in a very small matter, you will have authority over ten cities.’ 18 Then the second one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has made five minas.’ 19 So the king said to him, ‘And you are to be over five cities.’ 20 Then another slave came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina that I put away for safekeeping in a piece of cloth. 21 For I was afraid of you, because you are a severe man. You withdraw what you did not deposit and reap what you did not sow.’ 22 The king said to him, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked slave! So you knew, did you, that I was a severe man, withdrawing what I didn’t deposit and reaping what I didn’t sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money in the bank, so that when I returned I could have collected it with interest?’ 24 And he said to his attendants, ‘Take the mina from him, and give it to the one who has ten.’ 25 But they said to him, ‘Sir, he has ten minas already!’ 26 ‘I tell you that everyone who has will be given more, but from the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 27 But as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to be their king, bring them here and slaughter them in front of me!’”

Luke 19:11-27
    And were we not made in God's image?

Surely those with talents should use them to inspire others?

Surely sitting in front of a TV and growing fat and bitter isn't what God wanted?

Drop the attitude.

Where did I say Hitler ONLY used the Olympics? However it was a MAJOR factor in creating the cult of personality - which is why he ordered Leni Riefenstahl his chief propaganda film maker to chronicle the events and use it as a major tool to swell Nationalism. This Olympic propaganda was shown all across German theatres. Seems strange theyd do all this for something as trivial as sprinting....does it not?

Theres nothing with being proud of your country but when its used to create a nation of zealots with a superiority complex - well hasnt history taught us how that plays out in the end?

Not that it makes a massive amount of difference, but being a world leader eager to make a name for himself, he invited her, not ordered her. Riefenstahl was an artist, despite her subject matter. He was originally skeptical of her abilities, but after the fine show she made of the rallies, he caught onto her singular genius.

Your entire point here is that the Olympics is evil because it was manipulated by the Nazis. So was everything else, up to and including Christianity.

And your idea of "facts" is stating quite plainly that the Games are an occult ritual, linking it to Genesis in a vague attempt to make it appear sinister and Satanic. This is a frankly baffling point of view.

Drop the attitude.

Facts eh -
    Would this be the same Leni Riefenstahl who was never charged with any crimes in connection with the Nazi regime unlike Hitler's actual chief of propaganda Albert Speer? Seems strange if she was, as you call her, 'chief propaganda film maker' that she wasn't punished.

Would this be the same Leni Riefenstahl who won over 50 libel cases when people accused her of being a Nazi?

Would this be the same Leni Riefenstahl whose film Olympia was declared in 1956 to be one of the world's 10 greatest films? Strange thing to do if it was nothing but a bit of Nazi propaganda...

Fact : The current Pope was a member of the Hitler Youth - would you care to comment on his Nazi connections?

I could go on with more facts but I think I have made my point.

• Advertisement

The final straw was when Jesse Owen got a gold Medal ... ah yeah that was the last straw ..... no turning back from that

Not that it makes a massive amount of difference, but being a world leader eager to make a name for himself, he invited her, not ordered her. Riefenstahl was an artist, despite her subject matter. He was originally skeptical of her abilities, but after the fine show she made of the rallies, he caught onto her singular genius.

Your entire point here is that the Olympics is evil because it was manipulated by the Nazis. So was everything else, up to and including Christianity.

And your idea of "facts" is stating quite plainly that the Games are an occult ritual, linking it to Genesis in a vague attempt to make it appear sinister and Satanic. This is a frankly baffling point of view.

Really...he invited her? And had she turned him down he would have been ok with that? Is that REALLY something you believe?

Moving on...I've never said the Olympics is evil, much less a stone can't be evil. However when the Canaanites were sacrificing their children to Moloch (a stone statue) you could say the stone was used for evil purposes, could you not?

And I actually said from ancient times the Olympics has ALWAYS been steeped in occultism and is for that reason (and in answering the actual question by the OP) anti Christian. Would you not agree?

I can give you many books and or documentaries that discuss in great detail the high level of occultism thats intertwined with the Olympics. If youd like to see any of it just ask.

Finally, unless you understand symbolism - it will indeed be baffling. This is why you need to educate yourself so youre no longer baffled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Thankfully LoLo Jones made it through tonight's 100m Hurdles without getting sacrificed at the end.

Really...he invited her? And had she turned him down he would have been ok with that? Is that REALLY something you believe?

Moving on...I've never said the Olympics is evil, much less a stone can't be evil. However when the Canaanites were sacrificing their children to Moloch (a stone statue) you could say the stone was used for evil purposes, could you not?

And I actually said from ancient times the Olympics has ALWAYS been steeped in occultism and is for that reason (and in answering the actual question by the OP) anti Christian. Would you not agree?

I can give you many books and or documentaries that discuss in great detail the high level of occultism thats intertwined with the Olympics. If youd like to see any of it just ask.

Finally, unless you understand symbolism - it will indeed be baffling. This is why you need to educate yourself so youre no longer baffled.

Yes. He would have had to have been. Riefenstahl was a prominent figure worldwide. Her "disappearance" would not have gone unnoticed.

You drew links between the Olympics and the fall of man according to Christianity. Sounds evil enough for me, all found.

The original games were based in worship, true, but also in the celebration of mind, body, and soul in one unified form. Cheating was roughly punished and the victors were honoured as heroes. Just because this particular set of values does not slot neatly into Christian ethos does not make it "occult".

As someone who possess postgraduate degrees in both the Classics and Archaeology, ancient ruins and rituals are something of a specialty of mine. I assure you I require not one jot of your particular brand of "education".

Facts eh -
    Would this be the same Leni Riefenstahl who was never charged with any crimes in connection with the Nazi regime unlike Hitler's actual chief of propaganda Albert Speer? Seems strange if she was, as you call her, 'chief propaganda film maker' that she wasn't punished.

Would this be the same Leni Riefenstahl who won over 50 libel cases when people accused her of being a Nazi?

Would this be the same Leni Riefenstahl whose film Olympia was declared in 1956 to be one of the world's 10 greatest films? Strange thing to do if it was nothing but a bit of Nazi propaganda...

Fact : The current Pope was a member of the Hitler Youth - would you care to comment on his Nazi connections?

I could go on with more facts but I think I have made my point.

George Bush and Tony Blair havent been charged with war crimes, does that make them innocent. Your point about her being charged is irrelevant. Her films were used as propaganda - against her will or not is not the issue - thats what they were used for.

The current Pope was indeed a member of Nazi youth. But his current position is a far more troubling one.

I'm a Christian not a Catholic. I suggest you read "Two Babylons" by Alexander Hislop to understand why.

Yes. He would have had to have been. Riefenstahl was a prominent figure worldwide. Her "disappearance" would not have gone unnoticed.

You drew links between the Olympics and the fall of man according to Christianity. Sounds evil enough for me, all found.

The original games were based in worship, true, but also in the celebration of mind, body, and soul in one unified form. Cheating was roughly punished and the victors were honoured as heroes. Just because this particular set of values does not slot neatly into Christian ethos does not make it "occult".

As someone who possess postgraduate degrees in both the Classics and Archaeology, ancient ruins and rituals are something of a specialty of mine. I assure you I require not one jot of your particular brand of "education".

I really find this laughable - you REALLY think hitler would have cared what the rest of the world would have thought of him if he had done anything to Riefenstahl, yet you think he wasn't so sensitive to opinion whilst starting a world war?

Is that REALLY your argument???

The links I drew are to do with occult symbolism - I'm not sure you'd have come across that on your post grad. But you seem quite content with your knowledge level - and I'm quite content to leave you there also.

So on that note good night.

:)

• Advertisement

George Bush and Tony Blair havent been charged with war crimes, does that make them innocent. Your point about her being charged is irrelevant. Her films were used as propaganda - against her will or not is not the issue - thats what they were used for.

The current Pope was indeed a member of Nazi youth. But his current position is a far more troubling one.

I'm a Christian not a Catholic. I suggest you read "Two Babylons" by Alexander Hislop to understand why.

Bush and Blair haven't been arrested and questioned 4 times and then released without charge, as Riefenstahl was, so thank you for showing just how relevant my point is.

As for the need for 'education' my qualifications are in history of art and history (which I lecture in - on the Reformation period no less) so I am well versed in reading symbolism, understanding the difference between Catholic and Christian and uncovering facts thank you very much.

Come on! The 1936 olympics were hijacked by the Nazi's for their own Propaganda Purposes, both domestic and international. On the other hand, Time Magazine (Also see Time/Warner/AOL) made him man of the year 1938. If it were held in any other country .....

Like it was done in China to reduce sanctions on Tibet and get more trade going with China. For the Next 40 years China will be the new global bosses

I really find this laughable - you REALLY think hitler would have cared what the rest of the world would have thought of him if he had done anything to Riefenstahl, yet you think he wasn't so sensitive to opinion whilst starting a world war?

Is that REALLY your argument???

The links I drew are to do with occult symbolism - I'm not sure you'd have come across that on your post grad. But you seem quite content with your knowledge level - and I'm quite content to leave you there also.

So on that note good night.

:)

Cult of personality, old boy, which is why he met with so many world leaders. He had an image to maintain, rather than being seen as a slavering monster. You'd be surprised how many people saw him as an affable sort.

Do you know, I have no idea how we even got to this stage? The fact of the matter is that the Olympics were recognised as a source of immense possibility for propaganda, which is hardly surprising. This does not make them inherently sinister in the least. Why you blame Riefenstahl for making a very well-made film is beyond me.

It comes up more often than you might think. I did say I specialised in rituals. You can drop a few hints in re links to Genesis and so forth, but that does not make you a profound scholar. Your links, such as they are, are vague. Misleading, even. For example, you have been shown that light, as a source of knowledge, is not itself evil. Light is most often associated with wisdom and beneficent powers. Fire is usually a source of invention or, notably, inspiration. The sun is a particularly fine example. Had you any real working knowledge of symbolism you might recall God speaking through a burning bush, or appearing as a pillar of fire.

Your link to the "tree of knowledge" is pretty opaque. Why is the one in said picture a tree of "knowledge" rather than "life"? I'm sure you know the meaning of the earliest Olympic prizes being symbolic of wisdom and strength, but you're talking Biblical rather than Greek. Athletes are representing their country, not themselves. It has nothing to do with "surpassing god". It is a means of healthy competition. Nothing more, nothing less.

On the contrary. I believe everyone has something to learn. Especially those with no idea regarding what it is they are talking about.

Deleted
    Please read the Charter, particularly the bit that details with unreasonable antagonism or bigotry

Cult of personality, old boy, which is why he met with so many world leaders. He had an image to maintain, rather than being seen as a slavering monster. You'd be surprised how many people saw him as an affable sort.

Do you know, I have no idea how we even got to this stage? The fact of the matter is that the Olympics were recognised as a source of immense possibility for propaganda, which is hardly surprising. This does not make them inherently sinister in the least. Why you blame Riefenstahl for making a very well-made film is beyond me.

It comes up more often than you might think. I did say I specialised in rituals. You can drop a few hints in re links to Genesis and so forth, but that does not make you a profound scholar. Your links, such as they are, are vague. Misleading, even. For example, you have been shown that light, as a source of knowledge, is not itself evil. Light is most often associated with wisdom and beneficent powers. Fire is usually a source of invention or, notably, inspiration. The sun is a particularly fine example. Had you any real working knowledge of symbolism you might recall God speaking through a burning bush, or appearing as a pillar of fire.

Your link to the "tree of knowledge" is pretty opaque. Why is the one in said picture a tree of "knowledge" rather than "life"? I'm sure you know the meaning of the earliest Olympic prizes being symbolic of wisdom and strength, but you're talking Biblical rather than Greek. Athletes are representing their country, not themselves. It has nothing to do with "surpassing god". It is a means of healthy competition. Nothing more, nothing less.

On the contrary. I believe everyone has something to learn. Especially those with no idea regarding what it is they are talking about.

Again I'm not sure why you're putting words in my mouth. Where did I attribute any blame to Riefenstahl? In fact if anything my comments would absolve her of any blame as I said Hitler had ordered her to make the film. And even if she was only "invited" to make it, to what end the film would be used was most likely unbeknownst to her.

The high level of occultism intertwined with the Olympics is well documented by alot of mainstream publications. So I really hope such erudite company would not deem this to be conspiratorial in any way.

In fact the 3rd Reich in its entirety was extremely occult. This is a great documentary made for the History channel the name of its called "The Occult History of the 3rd Reich" - theres 4 parts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4bUZO1gQ8

Whether you want to get into the dark forces that really underpin these movements is another thing - but the Bible is replete with warnings of spiritual darkness:
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."
    Ephesians 6:12

• Advertisement

Again I'm not sure why you're putting words in my mouth. Where did I attribute any blame to Riefenstahl? In fact if anything my comments would absolve her of any blame as I said Hitler had ordered her to make the film. And even if she was only "invited" to make it, to what end the film would be used was most likely unbeknownst to her.

The high level of occultism intertwined with the Olympics is well documented by alot of mainstream publications. So I really hope such erudite company would not deem this to be conspiratorial in any way.

In fact the 3rd Reich in its entirety was extremely occult. This is a great documentary made for the History channel the name of its called "The Occult History of the 3rd Reich" - theres 4 parts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4bUZO1gQ8

Whether you want to get into the dark forces that really underpin these movements is another thing - but the Bible is replete with warnings of spiritual darkness:
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."
    Ephesians 6:12

No one is disputing that the Nazi regime wanted to use the Berlin Olympics for propaganda purposes. So did the US and USSR during the cold war, yet you are strangely silent on that.
    Yes - there was a huge interest in the occult in Nazi Germany. There was also a huge interest in the occult among European intelligentsia such as Yeats - this European wide interest had been present since the Victorian era. yet you do not mention this as a bit of context.

You are cherry picking bits and pieces and using these to try and build come theory which links Ancient Greece and Nazis to the Modern Olympics in a way which paints the Olympics as unchristian. I have to say - your argument, so far, is not very convincing.

No one is disputing that the Nazi regime wanted to use the Berlin Olympics for propaganda purposes. So did the US and USSR during the cold war, yet you are strangely silent on that.
    Yes - there was a huge interest in the occult in Nazi Germany. There was also a huge interest in the occult among European intelligentsia such as Yeats - this European wide interest had been present since the Victorian era. yet you do not mention this as a bit of context.

You are cherry picking bits and pieces and using these to try and build come theory which links Ancient Greece and Nazis to the Modern Olympics in a way which paints the Olympics as unchristian. I have to say - your argument, so far, is not very convincing.

The question was specifically about the Olympics so thats what I was trying to stick to. The fact Yeats was a member of the Golden Dawn seems slightly off topic.

Saying that the US & USSR also used the Olympics as propaganda is true...to a certain extent; but its alot deeper than that.

I'll leave it at that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Interesting programme on BBC Radio 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lhbqg/Leap_of_Faith/

The role of Faith in the Olympics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

Behind the scenes at the Olympic Village.
    The face of the Olympics is well known the world over: athletes winning, losing, straining every sinew of their bodies in the pursuit of podium glory. But behind the scenes there is another story of the athletes' lives and the use of their bodies, one that centers on their time staying at the Olympic Village. "Anyone who wants to be naive and say they don't know what's going on in the Village are lying to themselves," one former gold medalist and veteran of two Olympics told CNN of his previous experiences at the Games. "They know, the officials know, even the media. It's not a secret, everyone knows!
    "(Sex) is all part of the Olympic spirit. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) wouldn't say that, but it is, you can't shy away from it. Why do you think they give away so many condoms?"
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/08/sport/olympics-village-sex-party-athletes/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Yeah! Well done Katie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

totus tuus wrote: »
    Some people do things that are immoral shocker. This doesn't mean that there is nothing good about the Olympics.

Major well done to Katie though!

So the Olympics should be cancelled, because, shockingly, some young people are having sex? I notice you didn't quote the closing paragraphs:
    Kriss Akabusi, a veteran of the Los Angeles and Barcelona Games, also felt staying at the Village was a vital part of the Olympic experience.

"You know you've arrived when you get to the Village. The best of the best are there and everything is available for your needs," she said.

"I'm quite an insular person, self centered even, and the Athletes' Village was good for my preparation because everything there is about 'you'. You can decide whether or not you want to speak to the press or not. If you have a niggle then there's a doctor, physio, all there ready to go," the 400m runner and hurdler told CNN.

"LA had the best facilities. We could email and get information straight away as it was the beginning of internet facilities. They had 24/7 movies, great food and it was my first time in America, Hollywood! It was phenomenal Games.

"For 17 days we were the center of the universe. And if people were getting jiggy that's fine but that wasn't my experience or a lot of other athletes."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    So the Olympics should be cancelled, because, shockingly, some young people are having sex? I notice you didn't quote the closing paragraphs:

As for the full paragraph...I posted a link so that people can read it all!

So....where did I indicate that the Olympics should be cancelled??

Eh?? How did you come to that conclusion?:confused:

Some young people have casual sex,it will go on at the Olympics just as anywhere else, so the only way to stop that would be to cancel the Olympics. Or is your main issue with the fact that they were supplied with condoms? The CNN article seems rather sensationalist to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

As for the full paragraph...I posted a link so that people can read it all!

So....where did I indicate that the Olympics should be cancelled??
    You seem to be directly associating the Olympics to these "immoral" actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Watching David Rudisha's awesome victory in the 800m tonight, and his new world record, I was reminded of the influence of an Irish missionary, Colm O'Connell. Colm is the trainer behind most of the incredible Kenyan athletes (including Rudisha) who dominate middle and distance running.

Not just a case of a good athlete who happens to be a Christian, but how a man's faith led him to a place where he could help wonderful athletes reach their potential.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/how-an-irish-missionary-helped-put-kenya-on-top-6292937.html

PDN wrote: »
    Watching David Rudisha's awesome victory in the 800m tonight, and his new world record, I was reminded of the influence of an Irish missionary, Colm O'Connell. Colm is the trainer behind most of the incredible Kenyan athletes (including Rudisha) who dominate middle and distance running.

Not just a case of a good athlete who happens to be a Christian, but how a man's faith led him to a place where he could help wonderful athletes reach their potential.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/how-an-irish-missionary-helped-put-kenya-on-top-6292937.html

There was a terrific documentary made about him a while back. No interest in athletics before he went to Kenya, and now athletes such as Rudisha travel long distances to be coached by him. The simplicity of his lifestyle is incredible too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There was a terrific documentary made about him a while back. No interest in athletics before he went to Kenya, and now athletes such as Rudisha travel long distances to be coached by him. The simplicity of his lifestyle is incredible too.

I happened to catch that. It was on TG4, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I think the article says more about its author than the Olympics. If you go to other sources for news you can get a totally different slant on things
    http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/spanish-olympic-athlete-to-enter-seminary-after-london-games

/http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/perpetual-eucharistic-adoration-begins-at-the-olympics/

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/virgin-mary-crosses-the-finish-line-with-olympic-gold-runner/

(in the interests of brevity I'll keep the number of links to three)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Is Katie Taylor going to hell because she isn't Catholic?

Icepick wrote: »

I'm no defender of the Catholic Church, but you might want to inform yourself about what the church teaches on this. Suffice it to say that if someone claims that the church teaches that someone is damned because they aren't Catholic, they are either lying or uninformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Catholic theologians have long debated your question. I think that the most successful answer comes from Celmont of Trôler who at the turn of the century formulated his 2-step response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

Not necessarily. She's navigating in the right direction. Unlike defiant atheists on their way to the north pole or Sahara desert. Personally, I'd go for eternity in the north pole. At least you might see the odd seal.

Actor wrote: »
    Not necessarily. She's navigating in the right direction. Unlike defiant atheists on their way to the north pole or Sahara desert. Personally, I'd go for eternity in the north pole. At least you might see the odd seal.

I am so confused, she isn't Catholic but everyone who isn't Catholic and doesn't accept EVERY aspect of Catholic doctrine is destined for the great BBQ.

Good God!!! Its hard to walk the straight and narrow here. Why does Katie Taylor get a get out of Hell card and the rest of us are heading to the big smokie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

There is a place for God in Sport, there's a place for God everywhere in our lives.

As for the Olympics itself? I think that the sports men and women compete at such a high level that the difference between one and another can be so small. A recovering injury or just an 'off day' can be catastrophic to any sports person so sometimes it comes down to God choosing who wins that day. That is why it is only right (and wise) to give God the Glory.

As for the tiny clothes, I find that in some sports the men and women wear similar clothes (like boxing actually) and that's modest, but yes, the women's beach volleyball outfits do seem to be designed to ogle at, although I noticed one team put long sleeved vests under their Bikini (was it Germany or Denmark) which makes sense to me, what with the sun. The 'uniform' should be practical first and foremost. Which brings me to gymnastics, I'm a Christian and a gymnastics judge and we have to study the form of the gymnast so a leotard is necessary.

Advertisement