Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who uses more than one phone?

Options
  • 06-08-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Guys, just wondering how many of you use more than one phone?

I've mentioned in another thread that I'm thinking of using 2 phones. One for calls and texts while the other for Internet. Just curious if anyone here does something similar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

big_drive wrote: »

I've mentioned in another thread that I'm thinking of using 2 phones. One for calls and texts while the other for Internet. Just curious if anyone here does something similar

Find it pointless, tried once, too much confusion. I think in the long run 1 phone for everything is the best policy.

Plus you don't have to run two bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm with o2 prepay. Spent €70 in July on top ups. €50 of that was on Internet add ons (700mb @ €9.99)

With 3 prepay €20 top up will give me unlimited data

With 02 €20 top will give me free calls & texts to o2 numbers ( which all my family and most friends are with)

So that's my Internet sorted and the majority of my calls & texts. I can then use the €40 credit I've topped up with to cover any additional calls

So I think it would save me quite a bit. Only real hassle is having to bring around 2 phones

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Ive got 2 phones but the split is work-personal as one is my phone for the on-call part of my job (and work wont shell out for an iPhone)

It's just €70 seems crazy on prepay. I actually think in June I spent close to €90

It's mostly Internet as I don't have wifi for my iPhone. I'm constantly using it sitting in front of the tv at night.

Bill pay could be an option but I don't want to be tied into any contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It's just €70 seems crazy on prepay. I actually think in June I spent close to €90

It's mostly Internet as I don't have wifi for my iPhone. I'm constantly using it sitting in front of the tv at night.

Bill pay could be an option but I don't want to be tied into any contracts

Why don't you just go for a SIM only price plan?

That amount of money is crazy. If I was you Id rather just buy a MiFi modem and sign up for a sim only broadband contract.

I bought a Huawei B260a modem ages ago when I was on Three Bill. Since I've moved to Meteor I'm paying 25 euro's for 50GB's of allowance and I get extremely pleasant speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I use more than one. 3 to be exact!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boneitus

I'm with o2 prepay. Spent €70 in July on top ups. €50 of that was on Internet add ons (700mb @ €9.99)

With 3 prepay €20 top up will give me unlimited data

With 02 €20 top will give me free calls & texts to o2 numbers ( which all my family and most friends are with)

So that's my Internet sorted and the majority of my calls & texts. I can then use the €40 credit I've topped up with to cover any additional calls

So I think it would save me quite a bit. Only real hassle is having to bring around 2 phones

Can you not just use the three phone? Free texts to all networks, free calls to three & free calls to other networks at weekend.

Boneitus wrote: »
    Can you not just use the three phone? Free texts to all networks, free calls to three & free calls to other networks at weekend.

I would only all my family are 02. They have free calls & texts to me. If I switch to 3 they will be charged for ringing & texting me.

Why don't you just go for a SIM only price plan?

That amount of money is crazy. If I was you Id rather just buy a MiFi modem and sign up for a sim only broadband contract.

I bought a Huawei B260a modem ages ago when I was on Three Bill. Since I've moved to Meteor I'm paying 25 euro's for 50GB's of allowance and I get extremely pleasant speeds.

I was looking at the o2 hotshot earlier. Could be an option alright. Could connect the iPhone to it and would also be able to use a laptop with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I've one phone to do my drug runs and another for personal use

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have 2 phones, one is supplied by my job and I use it as my main phone as it's a set price every month. My second phone is my personal phone and it's only used for internet/games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Two phones.
    One work and iPhone for personal. Keep my personal number completely private and none of my work contacts has it. That way I can switch work off on Friday at 5pm and then back on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Read an interesting article the other day about some business people who despite Blackberry's woes, still keep their Blackberry for their business emails and have an iPhone for everything else.

I have a Nokia 6230i for calls and texts, iPhone 4S for everything else - photos, internet and emails.

Admittedly I've occasionally thought about what it would be like to stick the two of them together somehow back to back!

There was a photo of when Nama developer Johnny Ronan was at the opening of the National Convention Centre some years ago. He got out of a Merc E-Class and appeared to have 3 phones in his hands. 2 Blackberries and an iPhone as far as I could make out.

The craziest thing I saw was a self-employed guy on TV who had a mobile for each of the numbers in the phone book through which his work came in. I think he had 8 or 9 mobiles!

Oh and don't forget our own dear Taoiseach uses a Nokia 6310i and an iPhone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've a dual sim basic phone. One sim is free to 90% of all my calls. The other I use to use up free credit on other sims. Surprising how often the networks give you free credit on other sim. I have another android phone I've been using for internet stuff.

You can get dual sim phones like the Samsung Galaxy Y that let you use one sim for calls and the other for data.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_y_duos_s6102-review-754p4.php

I know quite a few people with a few phones. One for NI and Rep, or UK and Rep, Business and work, or a development phone and a normal phone. Some even have different phones depending where they are because they can't get reception on the main network, either at home or work. Or some have a cheap phone for sports and nights out.

You can get some really tiny cheap basic phones. So its not like they take up a lot of space in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have a Galaxy Note as my personal phone on eMobile's "free unlimited everything for €35 a month" package, and a LG Optimus 7 from the office on a business plan.

I've used 2 phones like that for years at this stage (working in IT it's almost a necessity unless you want to be pestered out of hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

BostonB wrote: »
    Or some have a cheap phone for sports and nights out.

You can get some really tiny cheap basic phones. So its not like they take up a lot of space in the pocket.

True - I've read about this trend as well.

People have a cheap "going out" phone that they wouldn't be too worried about if they dropped it when drunk or left it in a taxi after a few jars then they have a good phone for the rest of the time.

Although some people like a flashy "going out" phone and then have what might be an equally good phone for the rest of the time.

Over a month later and still spending unreal credit. €80 so far in September. Need to do some looking around in next few days and sort something out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

work phone and personal phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

nbar12 wrote: »
    I've one phone to do my drug runs and another for personal use

Tsch, everyone knows you buy a disposable for that sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tsch, everyone knows you buy a disposable for that sort of stuff.

Its a "burner" in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

i do the same but I picked up a cheap dual sim phone that was unlocked so I could have o2 on one & 3 on the other

Advertisement