Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation Advice

• 06-08-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

My mother has decided to change a bedroom close to the kitchen into the sitting room and turn the sitting room into a bedroom. We have already knocked out the arch leading from the kitchen into what will be the new sitting room. The problem is we are also taking down the wall between the sitting room and bedroom which formed the hall to enlarge the new sitting room. The door you can see is the front door to the house. She hasn't given this whole project much thought and now doesn't know what to do with the front door. The back door to the house is just this side of the wall on the right hand side. The front door, if left where it is will lead straight into the sitting room which I don't think is ideal. Anyone got any ideas what we could do?
    2012-08-06%252018.13.21.jpg?gl=IE2012-08-06%252018.13.04.jpg?gl=IE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Here are two more photo's, one taken from outside and one showing the large window from the inside.
    2012-08-06%252019.00.23.jpg?gl=IE2012-08-06%252018.12.51.jpg?gl=IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

woodturner wrote: »
    Here are two more photo's, one taken from outside and one showing the large window from the inside.
    2012-08-06%252019.00.23.jpg?gl=IE2012-08-06%252018.12.51.jpg?gl=IE
    Why not make an internal hall..or porch?you have enough of the sitting room wall left to do this...lots of houses have small halls like this..it also acts as a buffer in the cold weather..and can be locked for extra security..

She was thinking that, or an outdoor porch but it will lead directly into the sitting room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Surely you should be supporting those open gaps and the brickwork above with scaffold jacks???

Strick a large 2 x 2 meter brickwork porch on the front,get a composite front door on the porch and turn the existing front door into a wooden internal door.

Then make all that space open plan.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paddy147 wrote: »
    Strick a large 2 x 2 meter brickwork porch on the front,get a composite front door on the porch and turn the existing front door into a wooden internal door.

Then make all that space open plan.

Simples.
    As above but i wudnt use brick..looks better to the eye to use like with like so personally..id prefer rendering the proposed porch with a sand and cement finish..

Maudi wrote: »
    As above but i wudnt use brick..looks better to the eye to use like with like so personally..id prefer rendering the proposed porch with a sand and cement finish..
    #

Well you know what I mean by bricks.......as in a block/brick porch and K-Rend coloured render/dashing finish.Some nice bespoke/one off windows with stained glass too

See my pics above.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Surely you should be supporting those open gaps and the brickwork above with scaffold jacks???

It's a mass concrete wall, I will be putting a lintel or RSJ across the top for support before the arch is done. She just ploughed into this job without thinking it through. I had suggested putting in a double sliding door where the large window is but I was shot down as there is a side door already leading into the kitchen.

woodturner wrote: »
    It's a mass concrete wall, I will be putting a lintel or RSJ across the top for support before the arch is done. She just ploughed into this job without thinking it through. I had suggested putting in a double sliding door where the large window is but I was shot down as there is a side door already leading into the kitchen.

You should still have something there as a support,just incase.

Accidents happen.;):(

With regards the doors....Voila.:)

Thanks Paddy. I will get something under it straight away.

• Advertisement

Apply insulated plasterboard to the porch,also apply insulated board to the internal house space.

Stick a small rad in the porch too,if you want to.

I went with 50mm board and 80mm board and installed a small rad in the porch aswell.

Advertisement