Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Issue - Dublin 18

• 06-08-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have been with Vodafone for 3+ years now for Broadband and Phone. I live within 300 yards as the crow flies from Sandyford telephone exchange which I believe has full "next generation" broadband capabilities, and I am in an apartment block that is 8 years old so all wiring is very "fresh". I used to get a broadband speed of between 4Mb and 6.5Mb on Vodafone's 8Mb package - this was perfectly acceptable to me.

About 4 months ago I experienced a dramatic drop off in broadband speed - having changed absolutely nothing in my own set up. Recently I have been getting download speeds of as low as .6Mb which is absolutely crazy and is insufficient for me for work needs. I have made several phone calls to tech support in Vodafone at this stage. They have run countless line checks and the line seems to be fine from their end - apparently.

It was suggested that I may be having the issue because the modem was plugged into an "extension" telephone socket in the bedroom (this was put in at the time the building was built and is not simply an extension lead). I changed to the "master" telephone socket in the kitchen - got an increase of between .25Mb and .4Mb on average - still nowhere near good enough.
    Called back again out of desperation a couple of weeks later - was told there must be a fault with the "master" telephone socket and I should call out an electrician and get it changed. I (foolishly) done this at my own expense, the electrician told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the socket but he changed it anyway - absolutely no difference.

I called Vodafone again last Wednesday with the intention of canceling. Was told I was in a contract till next Feb and would be charged as such - I told them I was canceling the DD and see you in court - they were contracted to provided broadband to me which was suitable for purpose - they aren't - that's a breach of contract if ever I came across one. I was passed from one tech support guy to another then to cust care then back to cancellations. Long story short they now reckon it may be the modem that is the issue - according to them the modem is receiving a broadband speed of 8.1Mb - yet it is only supplying a fraction of that to my PC...... They sent me out a new modem which I received on Friday on the understanding that if this did not solve the problem that I would return it and they would cancel the contract (within 7 days) - no strings attached. I set up the modem yesterday, directly to the new "master" socket - am now getting speeds of between 2Mb and about 3.5Mb.

I am really at a loss to know what to do at this stage! Is it likely that if I changed back to Eircom or another provider I would get any better speeds? I did consider UPC but I have an alarm that has a text dialer on it and I would imagine switching the phone service to UPC may cause issues with this? I know one thing for certain I cannot put up with this any longer! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement