Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SHC Semi-Final Cork v Galway: August 12th, 3.30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

What kind of bananas upside down logic is this??? Galway have Joe Canning. So there is little point saying "if Galway didnt have him".

We can all say things like "If Kilkenny didnt have Henry Shefflin for the last ten years...." Or "If Offaly had better backs...." Or "If Clare had better forwards".

Of course if Cork had better forwards, they would have probably beaten Galway.

If Pa Cronin was a better player, Cork may well have scored a goal and Cork may well have gone on to win a fairly close game.

Of course if Kilkenny had played better in the leinster final, they could have beaten Galway.

But deal with actuals, not ifs!!!!

Its more people like you we need!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

We are going to the All Ireland final after beaten West meath, Offaly, Kilkenny and Cork. Galway were the better team every time and deserved all of those wins, simple enough thats how it works.
    On the other side of the draw Tipperary have beaten all that was put in front of them so far and will do so next Sunday too IMO.
    If the final is against Tip and I hope it is (they have earned it ) it will be another tight match with no more than a few points between them at the whistle 50-50
    If its against Kilkenny someone is going to get beat by at least 10 points. I hope its the cats but money would be on Galway to get hammered.
    Galway are the under dogs no matter how you look at it and that suits Galway just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Lads I can see Galway winning Liam this year,good team all round to be fair good luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

If Pa Cronin was a better player, Cork may well have scored a goal and Cork may well have gone on to win a fairly close game.

Just as an aside; Pa Cronin was lucky to be on the pitch to have that chance. Soft enough but at the end of the day deliberately striking with the hurl is a sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Lads I can see Galway winning Liam this year,good team all round to be fair good luck to them!

I hope Galway can do it just for hurling. It would be nice to see a good and new team win Liam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

cson wrote: »
    Just as an aside; Pa Cronin was lucky to be on the pitch to have that chance. Soft enough but at the end of the day deliberately striking with the hurl is a sending off.

He was lucky to get away with that one. Should have been a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

also, when he clattered joe in the 70th odd min, when joe was on the ground, he went over and lifted his head off the ground by the face of the mask.

Completely uncalled for, and that wasnt the only time he could have gotten a ticking but the ref and assistants seemed oblivious..............or blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

jossnjuice wrote: »
    also, when he clattered joe in the 70th odd min, when joe was on the ground, he went over and lifted his head off the ground by the face of the mask.

Completely uncalled for, and that wasnt the only time he could have gotten a ticking but the ref and assistants seemed oblivious..............or blind.

Thought that was Paidi O'Sullivan??

And what about young Cooney trying to decapitate Anthony Nash early in the match when the ball was 50 yards waay??

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

And what about young Cooney trying to decapitate Anthony Nash early in the match when the ball was 50 yards waay??

Hurling referees seem to have adopted a fairly lenient stance to the rougher stuff in recent years, much more so than in football. A rather odd development, not sure why it's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I don't think that has anything to do with the incident people are talking about, the lads actions stand, he was lucky to stay on the pitch as the strike was obvious and the officials had a great view of it, justifying them by referring to another incident does not really stand up IMHO.
    I doubt Galway went into the game thinking "stop Nash, stop Cork" but every team playing Galway has to have some sort of a plan for Cooney and I'd say he is made aware of it very early in the game. All that aside I think that it was a reasonably fair/clean game and the best team won. I could see Galway staying with Tip but not with KK.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't think that has anything to do with the incident people are talking about, the lads actions stand, he was lucky to stay on the pitch as the strike was obvious and the officials had a great view of it, justifying them by referring to another incident does not really stand up IMHO.
    I doubt Galway went into the game thinking "stop Nash, stop Cork" but every team playing Galway has to have some sort of a plan for Cooney and I'd say he is made aware of it very early in the game. All that aside I think that it was a reasonably fair/clean game and the best team won. I could see Galway staying with Tip but not with KK.

Well it was an equally controversial incident in the same game, are you telling me that Joe Canning deserves more protection than Anthony Nash??

Pa Cronin's incident has been mentioned here numerous times with widespread condemnation, I have now asked about Cooney's ''challenge'' on Nash on three seperate occasions, and the silence is deafening, double standards and slective eyesight alive and well in the GAA I see :D

I do agree with you it was a clean, tough game for the most part and no doubt the best team won.

elguapo wrote: »
    Hurling referees seem to have adopted a fairly lenient stance to the rougher stuff in recent years, much more so than in football. A rather odd development, not sure why it's happened.

I have a fair idea, but will be accused of stirring it and jealousy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

When was that premierstone? First half? I didn't notice anything from the Hill in the second half like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Yeah Conor Cooney strikes fear into the oppostition :pac:

I'd say you meant Canning!!

Dunno how that is any sort of justification for what Cooney did to be honest. They both could have been sent off, but at the end of the day how does that matter at all? The game is over now. If Cronin was banned in retrospect then it wouldn't be any advantage to Galway. If Cooney had been, however, it would have had implications for the final. Not that there was ever going to be a case for either of them being cited, but the quit while your ahead mantra might be heeded all the same.

There was no malice in the game really, I'd agree.

I've already seen Galway do more than stay with Kilkenny this year, and while I think Kilkenny will win Sunday and should win the All-Ireland, I think Galway will at the very least make a game of it and hopefully win it out.

cson wrote: »
    When was that premierstone? First half? I didn't notice anything from the Hill in the second half like that.

It was when Nash saved Canning's 21, and burst out and drove the ball up field. Cooney came in late and deliberatley took him out.

^^ as Mountainlad said, Nash required treatment afterwards and was bleeding from the head, also as Mountain says, its done and in the past much as Cronin's challenge best forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yeah Conor Cooney strikes fear into the oppostition :pac:

I'd say you meant Canning!!

I did sorry, I have some issues in that regard, I did a similar post last year and mixed up Ciaran McKeever and kieran McGeeney but managed to ninja edit before the Kildare boys could completely rip into me.

but you guys are too sharp for me. :)

I did sorry, I have some issues in that regard, I did a similar post last year and mixed up Ciaran McKeever and kieran McGeeney but managed to ninja edit before the Kildare boys could completely rip into me.

but you guys are too sharp for me. :)

Judging by your username it cud be them funny fags your smoking, does slow the auld brain down..............so Iv'e been told ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

It was when Nash saved Canning's 21, and burst out and drove the ball up field. Cooney came in late and deliberatley took him out.

He was late but it wasn't premeditated. It's not in Cooney's nature to do anything of the sort. He followed through with a shoulder and caught Nash head on which was unfortunate. Yellow card offence.

Cronin blatantly drew a strike of the hurl into Tannion's ribs. Premeditated yes, intended to hurt, yes. Red Card

He was late but it wasn't premeditated. It's not in Cooney's nature to do anything of the sort. He followed through with a shoulder and caught Nash head on which was unfortunate. Yellow card offence.

Cronin blatantly drew a strike of the hurl into Tannion's ribs. Premeditated yes, intended to hurt, yes. Red Card

Jaysus we're a physcologist now aswell are we :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Jaysus we're a physcologist now aswell are we :rolleyes:

Big difference between the 2 incidents. Pretty obvious when you look at them. Cronin's strike was a disgrace.

Cronin's was slightly worse, in my opinion. Slightly, on account of it being slightly more dangerous.

Neither were premeditated. Cronin's was reactive. He deserved to go for it, I'm not arguing that, but he didn't step on to the field at the start of the game and say 'I'm gunna throw my hurley into someones face'.

Cooney's wasn't premeditated, but he made no effort to get out of the way. He could have stopped if he wanted to, but once he'd made the challenge he decided he was gonna continue through with it. You're only fooling yourself if you think it was purely an accident.

He got the hurley in the face by the way, a hurley in the ribs is not a red card offense. If it was, we'd be sending off about 8 players from each team in every game.

Big difference between the 2 incidents. Pretty obvious when you look at them. Cronin's strike was a disgrace.

They were both very bad, if you watch Cooney's again it's not just a case of following through he actually raises he's elbow to Nash's head aswell, I agree re. Cronin but this premediatated and Cooney's ''not that type of player'' just doesn't wash, I wouldnt' exactly label Cronin as dirty either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

He got the hurley in the face by the way, a hurley in the ribs is not a red card offense. If it was, we'd be sending off about 8 players from each team in every game.

For the record Pa Cronin did not strike anyone in the face.Also anyone viewing the incident at the match would have see that before the Galway lad fell he was giving as good as he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Fair Play to Cooney for rattlin into Nash.

No longer are Galway the physical whippin boys of the championship. There'll be plenty more fellas with heavy shoulders come the 9th. Don't mind Cronin with his sly digs on Tan and trips on Hayes (after the first score), the Galway players are hittin hard and fair with big shoulders. Ask Richie Power and Nash. They'll tell ya all about it.

Hup Hup.

You're wrong on two counts here. Firstly the strike was to the ribs, nowhere near Tannion's face.

Secondly, deliberately striking with the hurl to the ribs is of course a red card offence, how could it not be? That it often goes unpunished (or more likely, unseen) does not change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You're wrong on two counts here. Firstly the strike was to the ribs, nowhere near Tannion's face.

Secondly, deliberately striking with the hurl to the ribs is of course a red card offence, how could it not be? That it often goes unpunished (or more likely, unseen) does not change that fact.

You are right on both counts but butting a guy into the ribs isn't seen a s sending off offence by refs becuase in happens so often. Last time some one the line for it was Brian OMeara/Liam Dunne yrs ago in an ALL iRE SEMI and the ref was hammered afterwards. .

aidan24326 wrote: »

Yeah sorry it was in his chest, just looked at it there.

I'm not as convinced. I mean with the action with the butt of the hurley it's not as bad as drawing back your hurley and chopping across someone. Maybe it is a red card, but I guarantee you it's common place in matches and probably unfair on Cronin to get such abuse for it when I've no doubt that there have been Galway players at it earlier this year. Waterford too, I'm not trying to single out teams, I'm just saying it happens everywhere, it's not really that dangerous and I'd like to know for example what Tannion did to him that he reacted? There was definitely something going on.

it's not really that dangerous and I'd like to know for example what Tannion did to him that he reacted? There was definitely something going on.

No doubt they were probably niggling at each other in the run up to it. I'm sure these kind of incidents happen and don't get caught on camera.

But these day players should know well that Croke Park has cameras watching from all angles and that what you'll get away with in Nowlan Park or Portlaoise might not be as easy to get away with in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

You are right on both counts but butting a guy into the ribs isn't seen a s sending off offence by refs becuase in happens so often. Last time some one the line for it was Brian OMeara/Liam Dunne yrs ago in an ALL iRE SEMI and the ref was hammered afterwards. .

If fellas are shoulder to shoulder digging each other not a lot of damage is going to be done, this wasnt the case sunday where the players were well apart. You could do a lot of damage with a strike like cronins.

Advertisement