Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SHC Semi-Final Cork v Galway: August 12th, 3.30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,162 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No dont give us much hope against Galway.

If we can get within 3 points I be happy enough.

Never know, but this team is not strong enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

No dont give us much hope against Galway.

If we can get within 3 points I be happy enough.

Never know, but this team is not strong enough yet.

Yeah we are two years minimum away from winning games like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Orizio wrote: »

I'm sure ye'd have said same in '86 & '90!

MfMan wrote: »

Wasn't alive for the former and was busy chasing the girls around the creche for the latter... :pac:

Different times, and different teams.

I would not say we have no chance, but you be brave man to back Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Different times, and different teams.

I would not say we have no chance, but you be brave man to back Cork

Lads with all this cute-hoorness you'd swear ye were from Kerry!

No-one is buying this 'ah we've no chance' malarkey. The Cork management and former players have been at it too, talking Galway up. Ye know damn well this game isn't as clear-cut as that.

You have Joe Deane bigging up Galway's 'greater experience'. What greater experience? Most of this Galway squad have never even played in an All-Ireland semi final before. There's a raft of under-21s involved so I don't know where he's going with that one.

I don't think you'd have to be that brave to back Cork. If Galway produce a performance on the day we should win, but this IS Galway we're talking about, and you never know which version will show up. If Cork can hang in there and keep it close enough up to the last 15 minutes they'll have every chance imo. The key thing for Cork will be containing Galway early on.

Wasn't alive for the former and was busy chasing the girls around the creche for the latter... :pac:

Leanbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Jaysus how many lads are going to fall for Orizio's ''long grass'' tactics, if ye honestly think he believes a word he has posted in this thread ye have alot to learn!

All I know is I keep hearing from my comrades across the Shannon how this is a different Galway team and past form is irrelevant, funny that I have been hearing the same since 1989.

Galway will never if they reach that level as the Leinster Final, it was an awesome display, but guess what they wont have to, definitely not Sunday and most likely not the 9th of September if they do prevail against Cork.

I don't like how humble these Cork posters are. Reminiscent of a certain Provincial final this year.

Doesn't really make too much of a difference what a supporter thinks tbh. Granted most from here didn't think we'd do better than a moral victory against KK I thought we'd win the game. Didn't see that effect the end result.

Just matters what the 15 on the pitch think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Any team news Galway men? Have been out of loop for past couple days. I HOPE Johnny Glynn gets a start. Some workrate on him and will be a handful for Cork defence.

I'm worried about this one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KevinFCB

theres no way anyone could write cork off in this game same happened in 2008 and cork came through a close game id say it will be nip and tuck for the 60 mins or so and if things are close then its anyone's game

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Lads with all this cute-hoorness you'd swear ye were from Kerry!

No-one is buying this 'ah we've no chance' malarkey. The Cork management and former players have been at it too, talking Galway up. Ye know damn well this game isn't as clear-cut as that.

You have Joe Deane bigging up Galway's 'greater experience'. What greater experience? Most of this Galway squad have never even played in an All-Ireland semi final before. There's a raft of under-21s involved so I don't know where he's going with that one.

I don't think you'd have to be that brave to back Cork. If Galway produce a performance on the day we should win, but this IS Galway we're talking about, and you never know which version will show up. If Cork can hang in there and keep it close enough up to the last 15 minutes they'll have every chance imo. The key thing for Cork will be containing Galway early on.

Ah well ya stop.

A Supporter of there county does not think they will win shocker.

Listen I only gave my opinion. I dont think Cork will win. I will be only too delighted to be wrong.

Could you see Cork beat Kilkenny like Galway did?

If answer is yes then your one in million.

The Cork Senior Hurling Team to play Galway in Sunday's All-Ireland Semi-Final at 3.30pm in Croke Park will line out as follows:
    1. Anthony Nash
    Kanturk
    2. Shane O Neill 3. Stephen Mc Donnell 4. Brian Murphy
    Bishopstown Glen Rovers Bride Rovers
    5. Tom Kenny 6. Eoin Cadogan 7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín
    Grenagh Douglas Na Piarsaigh
    8. Pa Cronin 9. Lorcán McLoughlin
    Bishopstown Kanturk

10. Conor Lehane 11. Cian McCarthy 12. Jamie Coughlan
    Midleton Sarsfields Newtownshandrum
    13. Paudie O'Sullivan 14. Luke O'Farrell 15. Patrick Horgan
    Cloyne Midleton Glen Rovers
    Subs:
    16. Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
    17. Damien Cahalane St. Finbarrs
    18. Conor O'Sullivan Sarsfields
    19. William Egan Kilbrin
    20. John Gardiner Na Piarsaigh
    21. Christopher Joyce Na Piarsaigh
    22. Darren Sweetnam Dohenys
    23. Daniel Kearney Sarsfields
    24. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    25. Niall McCarthy Carrigtwohill
    26. Stephen Moylan Douglas

Jimmy Barry-Murphy and his selectors have made two changes to the team that defeated Waterford in the semi-final. Conor Lehane resumes his position at wing forward, having missed the Waterford game through illness, with Niall McCarthy losing out, while at mid-field, Lorcán McLoughlin is preferred to Daniel Kearney. Meanwhile, Christopher Joyce returns to the panel, having recovered from a hand injury.

A Supporter of there county does not think they will win shocker.

Listen I only gave my opinion. I dont think Cork will win. I will be only too delighted to be wrong.

Agreed. Look lads, we may be Cork supporters but we aren't mindless optimists. You have to be rational, and only a insane person would back Cork to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

That's a very good subs bench for Cork in fairness. At least 6/7 of them could have an impact.

That's a very good subs bench for Cork in fairness. At least 6/7 of them could have an impact.

I worry about Galway's lack of depth. Glynn is the only real sub i see making an impact. the rest are ordinary enough...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'd be extremely surprised to see a Cork win tbh - Cork lack physicality that Galway have and showed against Kilkenny. I think it will depend on which Galway team turn up, if its anything like the display they had in the Leinster final, then its curtains for Cork imo

I'd be extremely surprised to see a Cork win tbh - Cork lack physicality that Galway have and showed against Kilkenny. I think it will depend on which Galway team turn up, if its anything like the display they had in the Leinster final, then its curtains for Cork imo

I hope its not like our last few games against Kilkenny, over after ten minutes. Miserable feeling for the rest of the game, and for the drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Could you see Cork beat Kilkenny like Galway did?

If answer is yes then your one in million.

No I couldn't. Not a chance. But that's not really relevant as Galway's performance on the day was so amazing as to almost certainly be a one-off. No-one expects Galway to do that again, and an inevitable dip in performance will see Cork in the mix.

Agreed. Look lads, we may be Cork supporters but we aren't mindless optimists. You have to be rational, and only a insane person would back Cork to win.

Based on what? Galway producing one crazy performance?

Looking at the respective teamsheets you'd be optimistic to back Cork yes. But insane no. Not at all. Cork will always fancy their chances against Galway and given Galway's inconsistency Cork will be eyeing this up as a game they have a real chance of winning. Cork are on the weaker side of the draw as things stand and I've no doubt the Cork players and management will be quietly confident they can win this one if things go to plan. Galway have a terrible record as favourites in these sort of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ye can only under-rate a team that has a subs bench including Cathal Naughton so much. Smart money would be on a Cork win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

Been 6 years since Cork won in Croke Park and unfortunately we could be looking at seven next year.

The only games you could judge Cork on this year are the tipp and waterford games. Cork couldn't handle tipp even with an extra man for the last 20 minutes and although we won the latter we were less than impressive for a lot of it.

The only crumb of comfort I'm clinging to is that Galway put in a monumental performance 5 weeks ago and it will be hard to reach that level again. They won't play as well on Sunday but they won't have to.

Some of the tactics and line ups have been all over the place at times. Defying logic some of the time but you have to trust JBM. He's playing the game here but i still think we could have arrived at a more settled 15 sooner.

Would never back against Cork but I would be amazed if we found ourselves looking forward to an All Ireland final on Sunday night.

Been 6 years since Cork won in Croke Park and unfortunately we could be looking at seven next year.

The only games you could judge Cork on this year are the tipp and waterford games. Cork couldn't handle tipp even with an extra man for the last 20 minutes and although we won the latter we were less than impressive for a lot of it.

The only crumb of comfort I'm clinging to is that Galway put in a monumental performance 5 weeks ago and it will be hard to reach that level again. They won't play as well on Sunday but they won't have to.

Some of the tactics and line ups have been all over the place at times. Defying logic some of the time but you have to trust JBM. He's playing the game here but i still think we could have arrived at a more settled 15 sooner.

Would never back against Cork but I would be amazed if we found ourselves looking forward to an All Ireland final on Sunday night.

How do you know? Maybe they'll improve? Actually, they made a decent number of handling errors v KK that day that cold be ironed out.

Anyway, one can hope! If I was a neutral I'd say Galway are the better-form team, but as a Tribesman I'm approaching Sunday with great trepidation and would gladly take a 1/2 point win if it were possible! Enjoy the day all who are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

How do you know? Maybe they'll improve? Actually, they made a decent number of handling errors v KK that day that cold be ironed out.

Anyway, one can hope! If I was a neutral I'd say Galway are the better-form team, but as a Tribesman I'm approaching Sunday with great trepidation and would gladly take a 1/2 point win if it were possible! Enjoy the day all who are going.

I don't know. It's just my opinion.

Ye can only under-rate a team that has a subs bench including Cathal Naughton so much. Smart money would be on a Cork win.

There is a major gulf in class between both benches imo. I hope we can build up enough of a lead, if it is tight going into the last quarter Cork's bench could be the difference. Either way I fancy Cork

I don't know. It's just my opinion.

I'd be amazed if Galway played to the same standard. They were written off by almost everyone against KK and went out with some point to prove. Here they're favourites. We haven't handled that well in the latter stages of the AI really in recent times.

Psychologically alone it'll be hard to play to the same intensity but who knows

If that Galway team hurl for another 20 years, its fair to say they would be damn lucky to produce that again, It was a one off an absolute master class, but as has been said they won't need to produce that to win Sunday or the 9th Sept in all reality.

13/15 played upto and above all known form which is exceptional, and tbh the other two are just simply not up to standard. The problem now is as Trap would paraphrase it the 'Cat is out of the Bag' and the ageold Galway problem of consistency.

I have to agree, personally I expect them to play better - however Randy's point is that Galway don't have to play near their best to win, such is the difference in talent between both teams.

As an aside, Galway have Glynn, Moloney and Coen to come off the bench, three serious hurlers right there.

I have to agree, personally I expect them to play better - however Randy's point is that Galway don't have to play near their best to win, such is the difference in talent between both teams.

As an aside, Galway have Glynn, Moloney and Coen to come off the bench, three serious hurlers right there.

I'd literally be amazed if Galway played to near the same level as against KK never mind better!

There is no real evidence that there is a big difference in talent between both. Cork had a far better league and weren't far off Tipp. Weren't convincing in back door but didn't have to be. Galway haven't just become world beaters over night.

Also Coen to come off bench? He's a shoe in to start arguably MOTM v KK. Glynn is good yes but may start if Donnellan doesn't make it and Shane Maloney will not be togging

Thought Coen was doubtful and likely to start on the bench...? My bad anyway.

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    I'd literally be amazed if Galway played to near the same level as against KK never mind better!

There is no real evidence that there is a big difference in talent between both. Cork had a far better league and weren't far off Tipp. Weren't convincing in back door but didn't have to be. Galway haven't just become world beaters over night.

Also Coen to come off bench? He's a shoe in to start arguably MOTM v KK. Glynn is good yes but may start if Donnellan doesn't make it and Shane Maloney will not be togging

He doesn't actually believe any of that either cgpg he is spoofing and everyone is falling for it, does it here every year. Funny thing is alot of what he has pointed out in relation to Cork's weakness is actually true.

Advertisement