Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SHC Semi-Final Cork v Galway: August 12th, 3.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Any team news Galway men? Have been out of loop for past couple days. I HOPE Johnny Glynn gets a start. Some workrate on him and will be a handful for Cork defence.

I'm worried about this one :(

If everyone is fit I'd expect the same 15 that started against Kilkenny.

13/15 played upto and above all known form which is exceptional, and tbh the other two are just simply not up to standard. The problem now is as Trap would paraphrase it the 'Cat is out of the Bag' and the ageold Galway problem of consistency.

Which two are not up to standard? I'm guessing you'll say Conor Cooney as one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Which two are not up to standard? I'm guessing you'll say Conor Cooney as one of them.

Wouldn't disagree that he has a bit to prove though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Wouldn't disagree that he has a bit to prove though

He's 19. He's the top scorer in the galway senior championship, absoloutely shooting the lights out for St Thomas from centre forward. He's a big man, well able to look after himself. I see him in the future coming out to half forward, but for certain he's in the team on merit. Scored 2 goals v Offaly to get us on our way. He's going to be massive player for galway in the future and I predict he'll have a big game Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

He's 19. He's the top scorer in the galway senior championship, absoloutely shooting the lights out for St Thomas from centre forward. He's a big man, well able to look after himself. I see him in the future coming out to half forward, but for certain he's in the team on merit. Scored 2 goals v Offaly to get us on our way. He's going to be massive player for galway in the future and I predict he'll have a big game Sunday

Sure I know well he's flying for Thomases. Hasn't shown for Galway in champ though bar a 5 minute cameo. Not trying to be harsh at all though. Have played against him all the ages coming up he's a super player and was out of this world when we took a hammering to KK in minor 10. I don't think he's an inside player, wing forward/midfield is where he operates best. But I wouldn't have him starting sunday

Sure I know well he's flying for Thomases. Hasn't shown for Galway in champ though bar a 5 minute cameo. Not trying to be harsh at all though. Have played against him all the ages coming up he's a super player and was out of this world when we took a hammering to KK in minor 10. I don't think he's an inside player, wing forward/midfield is where he operates best. But I wouldn't have him starting sunday

I think we'll see him come out the field a bit. While he didn't have a big impact v Kilkenny, he still set up that inspirational score for David Collins with some great graft work and really put himself about.

Cunningham is really taking the club championship into account, because the level of intensity in it has really gone up with the new format. Cooney has been the shining light so far so I can see why Cunningham is going with him, he's been racking up great scores. I think if he starts well he'll have a big game.

One thing we have to remember is he's only 19. Massive future, could even end up at midfield or centre back going forward, I've seen him play games at full back and he's been outstanding. One of the top young players coming through around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

aidan24326 wrote: »

I didn't include Cooney because I think he has enormous potentail and is actually a pretty affective runner and decoy for Canning, he will become much more than that in time I feel.

No the two who I think are no where near good enough are Skehill and Tony Og Regan, both of who made bad mistakes the last day and tbh it wasn't exactly out of charachter.

Just my opinion btw not trying to start a disagreement, Skehill especially seems to divide opinion between Galway supporters, so I know he has he's fans. Tony Og has he's moments, say the first 20 mins against KK but the mistakes are always just around the corner. IMO he is not a good enough CB for an AI winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Tony Og Regan was excellent against Kilkenny.

Let me ask this, when has any team with as poor and out-of-form half-back line as Cork have ever reached an All-Ireland final?

Orizio wrote: »
    Tony Og Regan was excellent against Kilkenny.

Did you see KK's second goal or the two balls he attempted to clear before that, he was excellent for 20-25 mins in the first half, tbf anyone could have looked good with the way he's team mates were all hurling, I'm not merely basing it on that one game either though.

Let me ask this, when has any team with as poor and out-of-form half-back line as Cork have ever reached an All-Ireland final?

As I said while it's obvious what your trying to do here the irony is alot of the weakness's you are putting forward are particularly true, but if I was a Cork man FB would be a far bigger concern for me.

Was very suprised JBM didnt try Gardner or Sean Og there at some stage, obviously its too late now but thought either would have enought hurling and guile to cope better than the alternative's??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 dj30

Think they'll open the upper stands for this? Only the corner sections of the lower stands available on tickets.ie at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Doubt it. Ticketmaster still have the same amount pretty much as during the week for sale.

Óg Regan had his best game for Galway in years against Kilkenny but the fact remains he played a major part in the 2 Kilkenny goals. Both were due to over confidence, if he keeps it simple and keeps his man outside him and try not to get isolated with Cork midefielders and half backs running at him he'll be fine.

It's time for James Skehill to really stand up. He's a physically very imposing man, he has all the attributes but he has a fatal flaw where he loses concentration every now and then and it has cost us at least a goal in alot of games. Sheflin's goal in the Leinster final should never have happened, he should have come out and batted it and taken man and ball. We need a big 70 from him.

Kevin Hynes was never really tested v Kilkenny so I'm still a small bit worried about him at full back. He's not the biggest lad so we need all hands on deck of Cork send in long balls. The half backs and midfielders won so much turnovers that Kilkenny never really got the opportunity to bombard him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Galway team:

1. James Skehill
    2. David Collins
    3. Kevin Hynes
    4. Fergal Moore
    5. Niall Donoghue
    6. Tony Og Regan
    7. Johnny Coen
    8. Iarlaith Tannian
    9. Andy Smyth
    10. David Burke
    11. Niall Burke
    12. Cyril Donnellan
    13. Conor Cooney
    14. Joe Canning
    15. Damien Hayes

Was very suprised JBM didnt try Gardner or Sean Og there at some stage

You're right, we should have tried two players who have almost never played full-back ever at 3 where there complete lack of recovery would be even more easily punished.

Óg Regan had his best game for Galway in years against Kilkenny but the fact remains he played a major part in the 2 Kilkenny goals. Both were due to over confidence, if he keeps it simple and keeps his man outside him and try not to get isolated with Cork midefielders and half backs running at him he'll be fine.

Agreed.

You're right, we should have tried two players who have almost never played full-back ever at 3 where there complete lack of recovery would be even more easily punished.

Thats why I said its too late to try it now, oh and how in gods name would eithers lack of pace be exposed further in FB than HB/MF? Pace would not be an issue with either, both are as fast still as Hickey or Curran have been for the last number of years and they have done fine!

So your happy with McDonnell as first choice and Cahalane as cover??

In saying all that, I agree with PV's assessment of Cork's defence, the half-back line and the full-back aren't any good, and Shane O'Neill isn't exactly having an incredible year. So we effectively have on in-form defender.

Would I be right in saying that if the All-stars were picked tomorrow Cork would have one definite (Murphy) and one maybe (Cronin) and that's it?

So your happy with McDonnell as first choice and Cahalane as cover??

I'm not 'happy' with half of the team, we don't have the players, full-stop. But you are mistaken if you think Gardiner would be any improvement, having a full-back that slow is asking for trouble. Ditto for Sean Og. They don't have the recovery necessary for an inside back...or for a half-back really but its worse when your man gets a run on you 20 yards from the goals.

Anyway I'd imagine McDonnell won't start on Canning, that job will be given to Murphy, Shane O'Neill will be on Cooney and if Hayes stays inside McDonnell will mark him. If Hayes moves out to midfield then McDonnell will double mark Canning with Murphy. If Hayes goes on Sean Og then I'd imagine they'll see how that pans out and put Kenny on him if he struggles. Those match-ups make the most sense to my mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Fancy galway myself...word is that they are flying in training and will be "flaking" from the throw in !

Scatter a bit of delph early is my advice and use the butt of the hurl as much as the bas !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm loving all the remarks about being 'insane to back Cork' and 'smart money' in this thread, without a single reference to the actual odds. The bookies have this one spot on, the smart money is staying in people's pockets.

I'm as confident as a Galway man can be of a victory (which based on history, is not very). If Galway are to win, I suspect it will be a tad comfortably. I just have a feeling Cork will win a nip and tuck one.

David Burke and Tannion have really stepped up as leaders this year. Performances from them is crucial. Like most, my reservations lie in Skehill and Regan, with a small worry over the full back line also. Will be interesting to see where Hayes is deployed.

One thing that must be noted is Galways record of performing in Croker. It has happened over the years to be fair, and a lot of these players have done their stuff there at underage. Far happier meeting Cork here rather than a QF in Thurles. Can't wait now, great to have a side in this position

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

He's going to be massive player for galway in the future and I predict he'll have a big game Sunday

Perhaps he will. I was only trying to guess who Premierstone was talking about.

No the two who I think are no where near good enough are Skehill and Tony Og Regan, both of who made bad mistakes the last day and tbh it wasn't exactly out of charachter.

I had a feeling you might mention Skehill. He does seem to divide opinion. Does a lot of good things but has the odd brain fart it must be said. If he could eliminate those silly mistakes he'd be a great keeper. We've had a major issue with goalkeepers in recent years though, chopping and changing from one to the other.

A little harsh on Tony Og. The position he plays is arguably the most important on a hurling team and it's a position where any little mistake tends to get magnified. I think he's doing well for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Hat trick for Joe you heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Is the Hill open tomorrow? As mentioned previously the only tickets online seem in the lower corners of the canal end?.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Anyone know the price of student tickets post refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 VexhallVaulox

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Anyone know the price of student tickets post refund?

Buy full ticket, get €15 back at turnstile apparently. Don't take my word for it :)

Edit: student ticket for Davin and Cusack Stand only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Buy full ticket, get €15 back at turnstile apparently. Don't take my word for it :)

Edit: student ticket for Davin and Cusack Stand only.
    You're right, you have to enter at a particular block though and have a student i.d. with an expiration date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 VexhallVaulox

THFC wrote: »
    You're right, you have to enter at a particular block though and have a student i.d. with an expiration date.

Block D. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

joe canning and co will run riot on a poor cork defence,it will be all over with fifteen to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'm loving all the remarks about being 'insane to back Cork' and 'smart money' in this thread, without a single reference to the actual odds. The bookies have this one spot on, the smart money is staying in people's pockets.

Too right.

Madness odds (Draw no bet). Galway 4/11 Cork 15/8. Ain't no value especially if you think that the "other" Galway team may turn up.

Advertisement