Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SHC Semi-Final Cork v Galway: August 12th, 3.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'm loving all the remarks about being 'insane to back Cork' and 'smart money' in this thread, without a single reference to the actual odds. The bookies have this one spot on, the smart money is staying in people's pockets.

Think you are taking people's comments rather seriously, no one is going to put money on Galway considering they are runaway favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Disgusted I won't be able to go to this, working at 8 in the morning :( first semi since '05 in either code.. From what I'm hearing on FB on elsewhere there's seem to be a good crowd going up, and this is from the city, the country lads should provide the majority of the support. At least I'll be able to watch it on the telly I suppose..

As for the match I don't know what to make of it, I think we're justified favourites but you never really know with Galway. It may seem strange saying this, but if we are beaten I hope we are beaten by more than a few points, I'm sick of the hurlers losing so many big games by a point or two. If I had to make a prediction, I would have to say Galway. JC seems to be rediscovering his top form, Tannion has been phenomenal, and what's more we seem to be much more of a team this year than other years. It would be a bitter disappointment to lose to Cork after destroying Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Galway play at the same intensity that they did against Kilkenny, they'll win, plain and simple.

However...I don't think they will. It was an unbelievable performance and it will be hard to replicate. They didn't show anything close to that form in the league or in the other games in the Championship. If they leak goals like they did against Westmeath and Offaly, they'll lose as the Cork inside forward line is very dangerous.

Still, Galway probably won't have to be at that level to win...Cork aren't Kilkenny, after all. Cork are good but they haven't delivered for 70 minutes in the Championship this year and I thought they were poor enough against Waterford. A great start and a late flurry won it for them, but I think Waterford could have put them away. You'd think if the Galway forwards are on form, that they'll punish the Cork deficiencies in the backline more.

But Cork do have a strong bench, and the return of Lehane will be big too. He's a classy hurler and well able to win his own ball and take scores. They're going to have to win primary possession around the middle of the field and feed their full-forward line quick and fast, because they are the real dangermen.

So, it is hard to call, but I'm going to go with Galway by 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

mr bungle. wrote: »
    joe canning and co will run riot on a poor cork defence,it will be all over with fifteen to go

We will see...

I am just thinking of Waterford last year. Galway huge favourites and they bottle it big time. Of course Galway are the better team than Cork but if u watched the boxing tonight its not always the favorites that win. I reckon Cork will sneak it tomorro and Canning will be neutralised. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Regan to start for Donnellan I understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

The Kilkenny match could well be Galways All Ireland. I don't expect them to perform to those heights again but might just about beat Cork. Damien Hayes to score 0-0 from play would be good odds. Good thing though that we will have a new All Ireland finalist and thank god for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Orizio wrote: »
    Think you are taking people's comments rather seriously, no one is going to put money on Galway considering they are runaway favourites.

Course they are, otherwise Galway wouldnt be favs. Books are created to entice an even number of bets on either side, so the bookies win no matter what result. Bookies aren't going to only attract bets on Cork and leave huge liabilities if they win. 1/2 favs is hardly runaway either. Some of the best value you can get is on odds on shots, can't understand why so many people are afraid to back at odds on. Not that I would be advising backing Galway at that price in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

teednab-el wrote: »
    We will see...

I am just thinking of Waterford last year. Galway huge favourites and they bottle it big time. Of course Galway are the better team than Cork but if u watched the boxing tonight its not always the favorites that win. I reckon Cork will sneak it tomorro and Canning will be neutralised. Watch this space.

I think the main difference between then and now is that Galway have actually produced against a decent team this year. No offence, but both Cork and Clare were fairly bad last year and Galway collapsed against Dublin. I fully expected Waterford to win.

I still don't think Galway are a great team...too many of their players are inconsistent. Cork could win...but then I don't think they'll be able to live with either Kilkenny or Tipp in the final while Galway might pull something out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

If anyone's willing/able...updates posted for those of us living in the UK would be much appreciated. Amazing how much ya miss RTE when it's not there. :) Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Laxie wrote: »
    If anyone's willing/able...updates posted for those of us living in the UK would be much appreciated. Amazing how much ya miss RTE when it's not there. :) Cheers!

I've PM'D you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Any chance someone can pm me too?

Also, is throw in at 3.30 or 4? I've read conflicting info.

kraggy wrote: »
    Any chance someone can pm me too?

Also, is throw in at 3.30 or 4? I've read conflicting info.

Done... Starting in 3 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh I'm nervous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭stevensi

Hi megapixel could you pm me as well. Over in france on holidays but my heart is in croker today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Would you PM me too please, megapixel?

stevensi wrote: »
    Hi megapixel could you pm me as well. Over in france on holidays but my heart is in croker today

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

megapixel wrote: »
    Done

megapixel, I need help!

AW! Pity JC mis-hit the rebound.

muff03 wrote: »
    megapixel, I need help!
    Happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This is a fierce game :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 galwaycork

megapixel can you PM us the link too please? over in chicago

Cork 0-05 Galway 0-04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Galway showing their greed in going for goals, they'd better hope they won't regret it later.
    Both sets of players seem to have forgotten the four steps rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

megapixel, I need help!
    Happy to help

You the man!

You the man!

"Woman" actually :D;)

Canning is of no use to us so far down the pitch. He should be our target man up the top of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

woman eh? would you do me the honour of pming me too please?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galwaycork

Can I've one too please? 12 of us here in a room lookin for one:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Canning is of no use to us so far down the pitch. He should be our target man up the top of the pitch.

Not sure if I agree with you, he's winning a lot of ball and sending them in to the likes of Hayes and they look dangerous. He played a similar role against the hammering of KK didn't he? Joe looks so fast and fit he could dart in towards goal quick enough, this Cork backline could leak goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Can you Pm me too please am IN Perth

thanks

Advertisement