Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SHC Semi-Final Cork v Galway: August 12th, 3.30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

teednab-el wrote: »
    Nothing worse than loosing finals though.
    So you're saying you'd rather not be there? Nonsense.
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    My apologies fella.

You see we are more used to celebrating winning finals than semi finals.
    With more experience you might get used to getting to finals.;)

Again, congratulations on winning the semi-final.
    LOL:D:D 7 years now since ye last celebrated winning an AI final..

With a little more experience ye might actually get to a final:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

THFC wrote: »

We won the football in 2010:confused:

How long is it since Galway won an All Ireland anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

So you're saying you'd rather not be there? Nonsense.

Only 2 years since we last celebrated winning an All Ireland down here in the real capital.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyway the match.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

2 years since we last celebrated winning an All Ireland down here in the real capital.;)
    Apologies, thought we were talking about hurling here..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There has already been 1 mod warning to tell people to stop bickering and taking pot shots at each other, you might find it great fun but this is a PUBLIC forum not your PRIVATE playground, take it to PM if you want to keep going bickering at each other, either that or I'll take the ban hammer hurley out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anyway the match.........

Yeah, we lost.

We didn't play particularly well, didn't create goal chances but were still in with a shout near the end. Experience was hard earned today - in a variety of positions, that will I'm sure stand to many of that team in future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cork fan here but well done Galway. Hope you go on now and capture Liam. It would be the success story of the year. On the game itself, thought it was close enough until the 50th minute and then Galway ran through the gears. Corks inexperience showed after that and Galway looked the fitter team and more clinical. Great display by Canning too. Hope Cork will learn from the ups and downs of this year and use it as a motivator for next years championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Purely on a point of clarity on roll of honours, Galway's under 21's won the All Ireland in 2011.

Cork played well today and should take some consolation in that they are bringing in some new blood to rebuild the team that can only progress. It can be very frustrating going through a lean period in a code that your County was historically strong in. Trust me I know what I am talking about, I am a Dub. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Go on Galway take the final step and deliver the title. A good display today and I must admit that a hard streak has been installed in the players OS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great result today albeit a poor showing at times especially from Niall Burke and Tannian's shooting. They pulled it out of the bag today in comparison to the great start they had against KK. You need to be able to win games even playing poorly. Niall Donohue was my MOTM. You could see how instilled confidence in Tony Óg, Johnny Coen and Davey Collins. Truly outstanding today.

David Burke is some man believe it or not. Played better than Canning today (What was the deal with his shooting for goal from a million miles out when a point was clearly the better option I ask you humble reader?). James Regan was fine and filled in for Cyril as well as you can expect. Damien Hayes was good in spells but Conor Cooney didn't turn up. Took a while for Tannian to settle and he did play great in the second but his shooting is abysmal. Smith was good too.

The full-forward line was non-existent at times which left McDonnell with some space. Canning didn't get enough ball in the first half to do any real damage. Long-range shooting from Tannian and Burke was so bad. Sideline cuts gave away scores which is a big issue. There are problems in the side that need to be drastically improved on before we dream of lifting Liam.

So big decision to be made in the Galway camp. Should Cunningham give somebody else a chance ahead of Niall Burke and Cooney? Glynn deserves a go IMO.

As for the Cork supporters they were great craic. Even had a quick word with the Rock himself.

All-in-all delighted to be in the final. To deliver that in your first season is something John McIntyre could only dream of. Will be watching the Tipp/KK match from behind the couch.

I did feel sorry for Galway in 2010 when they lost narrowly to Tipperary. Just hope this is their year.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I hope TSG will have a look at some of them - especially Canning, who took 9 steps before offloading the ball in the second half

Why do supporters find this so hard to understand? :rolleyes:

When a player is in possession of the ball it may be

(a)carried in the hand for a maximum of four consecutive steps OR held in the hand for no longer than the time needed to take four steps.

The rule in GAA has never been 4 running steps, in football you would be bouncing/soloing the ball like basketball otherwise.
    It refers to a player playing the ball at a walking pace.
    The length of time it takes to take 4 walking paces is not the same as running 9 at a pelt.

So no, there was no ridicules over carrying calls by the ref, the only blatant over carry of the game was committed by Andy Smith, and rightly called against him.

There is also a small allowance given to players being fouled in a manner that is illegal but not warranting enough of a free.
    Players being held are allowed more steps to break away from the challenge or offload the ball. If anything these challenges should be awarded to the attacking player but the game needs to flow.
    The instance you're probably talking about was when JC had two Cork players hanging off him before offloading to C.Cooney placing it too far over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Great game of hurling yesterday. Was happy to be at it and take it all in as a neutral. Galway played very well yesterday. Their backs smothered Cork out when needed and the forwards worked particularly well.Cork played very well in the first half but 6 points in the second half was a poor return.

I feel Corks tactics of doubling up on Joe Canning was well intended but limited Corks ability to defend from the Galway half forwards running in.Also it nearly backfired only for the Cork keeper to pull off an excellent save.Donal Og may not just walk back on when he comes back from injury.

A lot has been mentioned about Corks score tally coming from frees.Tipp or KK will not be as reliant on frees as perhaps Cork were yesterday and it is for this reason I think Galway won't go the distance though I would like to see them doing it.They had been hyped up needlessly over the years only to fail to deliver and I can relate to that feeling.

On the refereeing yesterday, it was quite inconsistent.Brian Gavin missed a few dirty pulls that merited a red.Also he seemed quite harsh on the Galway forwards when they were being fouled.From an angle I saw from the Hill I think Regan or Cannings hurl was been grabbed by a Cork defender and no free was given.

I think Cork definitely have a team to build on.A good year for them reaching a league final and All Ireland semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

How many times is that now where beaten teams have deliberately tried to take canning out. Great idea lads, rob the rest of us the chance of watching a great of the game just because ye can't take a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

Very disappointed in Corks second half performance and their inability to get around Galways massed defence.

They crowded the their own half, suffocating Corks attack. You could see it happening and yet Cork had no answer only to launch high ball after high ball down onto spare Galway defenders.

Galways style of play in the second half wouldn't be my cup of tea but it works for them. They will seriously have to up it against tipp or kk though.

As for Cork, I wouldn't be as optimistic as most of my fellow countymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

I think Cork played to their full potential, but I don't think they had a goal in them. They'll come on again next year.

Galway were disappointing for their lack of shape especially around the half-forward line. A few great performances though, great work rate from Canning (but he should've taken a point off that free), Coen was outstanding in the second half, and the half-back line was looking nice and solid.

Looking forward to watching the game next weekend now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Great result today albeit a poor showing at times especially from Niall Burke and Tannian's shooting. They pulled it out of the bag today in comparison to the great start they had against KK. You need to be able to win games even playing poorly. Niall Donohue was my MOTM. You could see how instilled confidence in Tony Óg, Johnny Coen and Davey Collins. Truly outstanding today.

David Burke is some man believe it or not. Played better than Canning today (What was the deal with his shooting for goal from a million miles out when a point was clearly the better option I ask you humble reader?). James Regan was fine and filled in for Cyril as well as you can expect. Damien Hayes was good in spells but Conor Cooney didn't turn up. Took a while for Tannian to settle and he did play great in the second but his shooting is abysmal. Smith was good too.

The full-forward line was non-existent at times which left McDonnell with some space. Canning didn't get enough ball in the first half to do any real damage. Long-range shooting from Tannian and Burke was so bad. Sideline cuts gave away scores which is a big issue. There are problems in the side that need to be drastically improved on before we dream of lifting Liam.

So big decision to be made in the Galway camp. Should Cunningham give somebody else a chance ahead of Niall Burke and Cooney? Glynn deserves a go IMO.

As for the Cork supporters they were great craic. Even had a quick word with the Rock himself.

All-in-all delighted to be in the final. To deliver that in your first season is something John McIntyre could only dream of. Will be watching the Tipp/KK match from behind the couch.
    I'd leave Burke in cos even when he plays poorly like yesterday he still has a great knack of popping up and getting scores. Workrate lacks so much though. I'd start Regan for Cooney, I've come to the conclusion Glynn might be better suited to being the impact player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

(a)carried in the hand for a maximum of four consecutive steps OR held in the hand for no longer than the time needed to take four steps.

The rule in GAA has never been 4 running steps, in football you would be bouncing/soloing the ball like basketball otherwise.
    The length of time it takes to take 4 walking paces is not the same as running 9 at a pelt.

So no, there was no ridicules over carrying calls by the ref, the only blatant over carry of the game was committed by Andy Smith, and rightly called against him.

I think you're mis-reading that rule. The 'time' element of it relates to if the player is static. 9 steps is 9 steps and breaks the 4 step rule, irrespective of how quickly the steps are taken.

Every team benefits from over-carrying decisions and every team gets the wrong end of over-carrying decisions, so its not something to get too excited about.

Revenge for Tomas Mulcahy in '86 (or was it '90 ? ) ? :D

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »

I think you're mis-reading that rule. The 'time' element of it relates to if the player is static. 9 steps is 9 steps and breaks the 4 step rule, irrespective of how quickly the steps are taken.

Every team benefits from over-carrying decisions and every team gets the wrong end of over-carrying decisions, so its not something to get too excited about.

Revenge for Tomas Mulcahy in '86 (or was it '90 ? ) ? :D

92 against Limerick. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

There is also a small allowance given to players being fouled in a manner that is illegal but not warranting enough of a free.
    Players being held are allowed more steps to break away from the challenge or offload the ball. If anything these challenges should be awarded to the attacking player but the game needs to flow.
    The instance you're probably talking about was when JC had two Cork players hanging off him before offloading to C.Cooney placing it too far over his head.

Steps are steps where does is say anything about walkin? they should just up it 6 steps and enforce it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nash has good shout of getting All Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Unlucky lad, ye have some awful dirty players by the way, 2 red card offences in that game, and all because they couldn't handle getting beat. That chop on Canning was shocking. I suppose the boys from Cork must be having nightmares about him at this stage:D:D:D:D

And what may I ask would your opinion of young Cooney's sole contributuion to the game, where he attempted to remove Anthony Nash's head, when the sliothar was 50 yards away??

Youthfull exeuberance?, sliped?, too much lucozade orange???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Jaysus I hope your joking??

By your logic Usain Bolt could run the lenght of the field if he was playing as it would take the same time it would take most club players to take 4 steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Conor Cooney was anonymous for long spells and hasn't scored in the last two games. He'll be lucky to keep his place for the final.

I'm not convinced we'll win an All-Ireland with Niall Burke at center forward either. He's not physically imposing enough in that position. Could Donnellan play there?

Great to be in the final but yesterday's performance wouldn't get us within 10 points of Tipp or KK. Serious improvement needed. Shooting was surprisingly poor yesterday, some terrible wides.

But credit to Cunningham for bringing about great improvement in areas where it was most needed - workrate, tenacity, tackling, blocking etc. They're doing the ugly stuff now aswell as playing nice hurling at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

How many times is that now where beaten teams have deliberately tried to take canning out. Great idea lads, rob the rest of us the chance of watching a great of the game just because ye can't take a beating.

To be fair to Paudie O'Sullivan, that wasn't deliberate. And can you maybe give a few examples of all the other times beaten teams have tried to take him out? He's not made of glass, you know.

Great to see Galway win, pretty much as expected, they were never going to runaway with the game but they were comfortable enough in the last 10 minutes. A bit of sluggishness from the break in games and obviously there wouldn't be the same focus as there was in the Leinster Final. They'll have to cut out the wides, and be more ruthless in front of goals, but I would put that down to the long break since the Kilkenny game.

Disappointed with Cork's forward line, I'm thinking now it's not really as potent as it's been blown up to be. Sure, pretty much every player there is well able to take their scores and they got some nices scores yesterday again, but in the 3 big games they've played this year they've managed 1 goal, which is identical to Waterford who we're told have a weak forward line. Did they even create a goal chance yesterday? Maybe the one Cronin hit over the bar when he made a great catch in the second half, but again it was a snapshot and wasn't a well worked opportunity.

Joe Canning was truly outstanding, his ability to finish with such ease and accuracy from right or left is incredible. Johnny Coen is having a very good year, and everyone of the forwards is a threat. Even James Regan got 2 great scores, and when you've got players like Hayes, David Burke and Canning around him that's about as much as is needed from him.

The right result, and I reckon it'll be a much better final than 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Jaysus I hope your joking??

By your logic Usain Bolt could run the lenght of the field if he was playing as it would take the same time it would take most club players to take 4 steps.

It'd be a pretty stupid rule wouldn't it? I mean, who travels at a walking pace in hurling?

I think this four steps at a walking pace is probably special dispensation awarded by Gilberto to Galway. I wonder if there was a crucial steps call in the final against Galway, would we still be hearing about this non-existent 'walking' pace rule...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Thought it wasn't a great game at all for a neutral. Both teams missed some dreadful scores. If Cork had a Joe Deane or a Ben O'Connor in there who was capable of putting the ball over the bar more times than he missed then they'd have won it imo.

I fell asleep at halftime and woke up to find Galway with no forwards. Ridiculous tactics but I suppose it helped them to win the game.

Canning is a great player but his decision to go for goal after 8 minutes was one of the worst I've ever seen. Knock the ball over the bar and he'd have tied the game. Went for glory and it backfired. Do that against either Tipp or Kilkenny and they will make you pay. Needs to work on his decision making in those situations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Thought it wasn't a great game at all for a neutral. Both teams missed some dreadful scores. If Cork had a Joe Deane or a Ben O'Connor in there who was capable of putting the ball over the bar more times than he missed then they'd have won it imo.

I fell asleep at halftime and woke up to find Galway with no forwards. Ridiculous tactics but I suppose it helped them to win the game.

Canning is a great player but his decision to go for goal after 8 minutes was one of the worst I've ever seen. Knock the ball over the bar and he'd have tied the game. Went for glory and it backfired. Do that against either Tipp or Kilkenny and they will make you pay. Needs to work on his decision making in those situations.

I disagree. You get goals early and kill off a team. At that stage a point wasnt overly vital, but a goal would be a significant boost to them. you see the way they targetted goals too against KK. It was worth a shot, 21 yard free that he has potential to score.

Advertisement