Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

• 06-08-2012 8:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

So what are your predictions for Leaving Cert 2013?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Heaney and Plath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Heaney and Plath.

I highly doubt Heaney but Plath yes. I would say Mahon and Plath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

fontdor wrote: »
    I highly doubt Heaney but Plath yes. I would say Mahon and Plath

I was joking, don't rely on predictions too much, everyone thought Plath and Heaney were coming up this year and got caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Not Plath. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Jesus lads, it's summer, you are not sixth years yet, RELAX. :pac:

• Advertisement

Jesus lads, it's summer, you are not sixth years yet, RELAX. :pac:

Can't relax man just can't the thought of the Leaving Cert next year just makes me sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Can't relax man just can't the thought of the Leaving Cert next year just makes me sweat.

Suckerr :pac:

But seriously, relax the cacks. It's not even September. Have a good rest before school starts cos you gonna need energy for the year.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Suckerr :pac:

But seriously, relax the cacks. It's not even September. Have a good rest before school starts cos you gonna need energy for the year.

Thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

National income for economics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lads do not rely on predictions whatsoever. Take them into your head sure but do not focus on one topic just because it's 'tipped'. The time you'll spend on here searching for predictions could be spent going over another topic or two that'll make you feel alot better going into the exam. There is nothing worse than being in an exam and seeing that your tipped poet or Irish essay didn't come up. Thankfully the stuff that came up I had prepared but there was loads in our class who got badly caught out because they always try to do the quick and easy thing....

I will say though keep a track of whats going on in the world from now until December. The papers are made out around October/November usually. For stuff like Irish, French/German/Spanish and maybe English like...current day topics are a given on those. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Olympics question on some paper. Many will think that seeing it's over by August it's finished and done with... It still will be fresh in the mind of the exam setters and could serve well to catch people out eventhough it would be a straight forward question if you were anyway prepared! Not trying to be physic but a 'doping' article in the Irish paper would be really really nice... The words and theme of it would catch so many people but if you'd knowledge of sport and guys who've been banned because of doping you're already a step ahead of half the country and well on your way of nailing the question. If I can remember well enough the comprehensions this year was one on some American sportstar that I briefly knew about and the other was about favellas in Brazil which we did in Geography...the comprehensions in Irish are so vital now and you've like an hour and a half to do it. Because of my knowledge of the articles I'd mine done in an hour which allows you to calm down and take more time to focus on stuff like Pro's, poetry etc...Thats just an example though :D Don't take my word as gospel...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

1. Don't focus on predictions.

2. If you must use predictions, the time to look into what's tipped to come up is after the mocks, not before you've even covered half of your courses.

Study the three female poets for English, as it is unlikely (but still possible) that none will come up. Also study two other poets as backups so that you're guaranteed one poet on the day.

Don't make predictions for silly things such as Irish poetry or prose where you've only a 1 in 5 chance of getting it right.

Predictions can be grand in small doses, but don't put all your eggs in one (or two) basket(s).

Put the work in from September on and you won't have to rely on predictions.

And some people say 2012 was totally unpredictable - it wasn't. Only putting two poets on the English paper would've been unpredictable. Putting four poets on it was not, people just assumed they'd be grand studying one or two poets.

The Leaving Cert is always unpredictable, and you'll always get one or two subjects where the paper or certain sections are completely different to what you might have expected.

Don't put any faith in things that are on the mocks for no apparent reason. They know nothing more than you do. This year the amount of people predicting women in Hamlet was stupidly high just because it was on the mocks, and it didn't come up.

But I would probably say that for history, India isn't likely. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Please don't rely on predictions they can go horribly wrong. For subjects like biology even if your predictions for say the experiments are correct having a fair idea of the entire course is really the best way to go in my opinion as then you will be covered no matter what comes up. Even if a topic you studied for is only worth a small number of marks all the marks add up at the end of the day and could make the difference of a grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

It's summer, guys; enjoy the next week instead of me sh!tting bricks about my results :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think the one piece of advice any LC student for 2011/12 would offer is DO NOT RELY ON PREDICTIONS.
    I know most people will say "Oh, I'll cover everything just in case"
    But seriously, once you have the predictions in your head your gonna end up focusing on them more, and/or running out of time to cover all the other aspects.
    So treat everything equally, learn what the course sets out. Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

As well as not predicting, don't cheat (ie. use hints) in the mocks. The last thing you want is a brilliant but probably unrealistic point score in your mocks which you will be expected to improve upon in June. I'm of the opinion that the mocks are fairly pointless if you rely on hints. It does defeat the purpose of actually having mock exams, you'd be as well off to just open your exam papers and pick a year to do, then study what came up in that exam and do the paper(s).

I had to specifically ask one of my teachers to not give me hints this year, they gave them to the rest of the class. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katierab

Spend less time on here and more time studying. You'll waste time trying to predict what's coming up when you could be using that time to study. If you start in september and have a study plan in place there will be no need for predictions. Go back through exam papers and practice as many questions as possible. It's easy to go by what people think is coming up but at the end of the day the only ones that know are the people who set the exams. I know from my own experience that predictions can often let you down (I studied Heaney because I thought he was definitely coming up). Don't leave yourself in a position where you only have one or two options and end up stressing if they don't come up! If you've taken time to read this..... GET STUDYING!! :)

katierab wrote: »
    Spend less time on here and more time studying. You'll waste time trying to predict what's coming up when you could be using that time to study. If you start in september and have a study plan in place there will be no need for predictions. Go back through exam papers and practice as many questions as possible. It's easy to go by what people think is coming up but at the end of the day the only ones that know are the people who set the exams. I know from my own experience that predictions can often let you down (I studied Heaney because I thought he was definitely coming up). Don't leave yourself in a position where you only have one or two options and end up stressing if they don't come up! If you've taken time to read this..... GET STUDYING!! :)

I will start Studying from day 1 of school this year.

Don't overdo the study early on in the year though. Theres nothing worse than being wrecked tired by December. Eventhough the first few months are vital you don't really want to be going full tilt until around the time of the pre's. If I was to advise someone this year, I'd start going over what you did in 5th year in the first month or so of this year and get cracking with the exam papers. But again take it handy. There is alot of time...pace yourself. Some teachers will only decide to get papers just before christmas (in my school anyway but that was no surprise) but make sure the second the '12 papers are published get them. At the end of the day it's your leaving cert and you have to be a bit brave and go your own way to a certain extent.

But yeah I'm sure most of you will have forgotten a good bit of your 5th year work and eventhough you'll probably revise it all in class it'd be alot handier to have it in your head already so that you can focus more on the stuff you'll only do in 6th year.

For languages, make sure to make a strong effort on the oral work before Christmas. If it's not perfect by xmas thats no biggie but make sure you're at least half way there. Irish oral has a tonne of work involved and eventhough theres so much to do, if you've it learned well the oral is simple. I'm very good at irish and I literally breezed through the oral and I knew I was sailing because I could tell from the expressions on the examiner that she was damn impressed. Not to go off in a tangent but practise for the oral makes so much difference. I was so used to irish and had so much learned that I sounded like I was fully fluent. I could speak perfect irish so fast and clearly that it wouldn't even matter what I was saying and it sounded great. I have a natural gift for irish but literally anyone can appear fluent in any language with the right amount of work. Talking out loud really does get you far for the oral. Your family will think you're nuts rattling off stories about a guy finding a phone in a restaurant with his lovely meal of pasta pizza and coke but it pays off at the end of the day.

A study plan is vital too. So that you don't over focus on one subject. I did 7 subjects so I devised a plan for one subject a night and rotated the days around every second week. I put the subjects I was good at on thursday and friday because I'd be a little tired but didn't need that much focus on them. I put the stuff I needed most work in on the weekends and always had english on monday or tuesday because you'd be fresher to learn quotes and whatnot. But whatever your system, the study plan is vital...

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Don't overdo the study early on in the year though. Theres nothing worse than being wrecked tired by December. Eventhough the first few months are vital you don't really want to be going full tilt until around the time of the pre's. If I was to advise someone this year, I'd start going over what you did in 5th year in the first month or so of this year and get cracking with the exam papers. But again take it handy. There is alot of time...pace yourself. Some teachers will only decide to get papers just before christmas (in my school anyway but that was no surprise) but make sure the second the '12 papers are published get them. At the end of the day it's your leaving cert and you have to be a bit brave and go your own way to a certain extent.

But yeah I'm sure most of you will have forgotten a good bit of your 5th year work and eventhough you'll probably revise it all in class it'd be alot handier to have it in your head already so that you can focus more on the stuff you'll only do in 6th year.

For languages, make sure to make a strong effort on the oral work before Christmas. If it's not perfect by xmas thats no biggie but make sure you're at least half way there. Irish oral has a tonne of work involved and eventhough theres so much to do, if you've it learned well the oral is simple. I'm very good at irish and I literally breezed through the oral and I knew I was sailing because I could tell from the expressions on the examiner that she was damn impressed. Not to go off in a tangent but practise for the oral makes so much difference. I was so used to irish and had so much learned that I sounded like I was fully fluent. I could speak perfect irish so fast and clearly that it wouldn't even matter what I was saying and it sounded great. I have a natural gift for irish but literally anyone can appear fluent in any language with the right amount of work. Talking out loud really does get you far for the oral. Your family will think you're nuts rattling off stories about a guy finding a phone in a restaurant with his lovely meal of pasta pizza and coke but it pays off at the end of the day.

A study plan is vital too. So that you don't over focus on one subject. I did 7 subjects so I devised a plan for one subject a night and rotated the days around every second week. I put the subjects I was good at on thursday and friday because I'd be a little tired but didn't need that much focus on them. I put the stuff I needed most work in on the weekends and always had english on monday or tuesday because you'd be fresher to learn quotes and whatnot. But whatever your system, the study plan is vital...

Very helpful and great answer. Great tips too! How exactly can one study for English? any ideas?

• Advertisement

Very helpful and great answer. Great tips too! How exactly can one study for English? any ideas?

How many poets have ye done? Just learn quotes for them. For me I learned 6-9 quotes from every poem, I learned stuff for 4 poems from each poet so I'd over 30 quotes for each poet (probably far too much but it helped me form my answers). Just go through the meaning, themes, language, imagery etc of each poet and try to come to a conclusion by mixing all the poems together to get the bones of an answer. But no great detail is needed right from the off. If you just knew quotes and meaning of poems and had the general feel of the poet by October-November you'd by flying. For the text question (are you doing the Shakespeare one?). I did it, Hamlet and for that it was all about learning relevant quotes and just getting to know the story inside out so that if a bad question came up at least I'd know the story. For the questions part. Just try and get notes together for themes, characters, etc. Comparative is all about knowing your 3 texts inside out. Find out what aspects could come up in the exam. Like ggvp, theme and issue. For me I just came to grips with the aspects and then applied my texts to it. I wouldn't study much (or at all) for unseen poetry. If you can read poetry you're sorted. Essays need a lot of work, something I didn't do which was stupid of me. Find out what your strengths in writing are. Like are you imaginative. Are you a deep person (personal essays) or are you passionate (speechs/talks/articles). It's all about developing the vocab for them and finding out what suits you. Go against your teacher if it comes to it. If you're certain you're suited to one type of essay but your teacher thinks different, go with your instinct. It's your exam.

Sorry I typed this in a rush but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying. Just shout if you don't understand or want more detail! I'm sure the other boardsie's will oblige with more help anyway :D God knows they're better at english than me. Irish and Geog were my two subjects

TheComeUp wrote: »
    How many poets have ye done? Just learn quotes for them. For me I learned 6-9 quotes from every poem, I learned stuff for 4 poems from each poet so I'd over 30 quotes for each poet (probably far too much but it helped me form my answers). Just go through the meaning, themes, language, imagery etc of each poet and try to come to a conclusion by mixing all the poems together to get the bones of an answer. But no great detail is needed right from the off. If you just knew quotes and meaning of poems and had the general feel of the poet by October-November you'd by flying. For the text question (are you doing the Shakespeare one?). I did it, Hamlet and for that it was all about learning relevant quotes and just getting to know the story inside out so that if a bad question came up at least I'd know the story. For the questions part. Just try and get notes together for themes, characters, etc. Comparative is all about knowing your 3 texts inside out. Find out what aspects could come up in the exam. Like ggvp, theme and issue. For me I just came to grips with the aspects and then applied my texts to it. I wouldn't study much (or at all) for unseen poetry. If you can read poetry you're sorted. Essays need a lot of work, something I didn't do which was stupid of me. Find out what your strengths in writing are. Like are you imaginative. Are you a deep person (personal essays) or are you passionate (speechs/talks/articles). It's all about developing the vocab for them and finding out what suits you. Go against your teacher if it comes to it. If you're certain you're suited to one type of essay but your teacher thinks different, go with your instinct. It's your exam.

Sorry I typed this in a rush but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying. Just shout if you don't understand or want more detail! I'm sure the other boardsie's will oblige with more help anyway :D God knows they're better at english than me. Irish and Geog were my two subjects

We done Plath and Mahon atm & also we done MacBeth

For English Paper 1 reading helps so much. I didn't actually read books, I read short stories since that was always my preferred essay style but a lot of people prefer the others.

If you go to goodreads.com and find quotes from books it can be good - you find new ways to express yourself and descriptive words, that way you can make alliteration and stuff, small things but they make your work stand out. For some context, I was getting 70-80 in stories usually, with one odd 94 :D, but looking back on them they're an absolute bore to read to me personally though I'd say for LC standard they'd get those marks. After I started to take down good ways to express things and engage the reader a bit more my teacher started to give me 95+ and even 100 sometimes :P

Just one last thing on stories, if you do choose to do them I find it's better to be descriptive rather than putting dialogue in. :)

For Paper 2, make a list of points for each theme in macbeth, character profiles, be able to integrate quotes into poetry essays rather than "When she says x, we see x" - if that makes sense? It helps with the flow if you can say something like "She feels "sadness beyond measure" when she "sees..."".

Lastly, you can kind of rote-learn the comparative. I tried to do that and this year they mixed it up a bit but you just adapt it to the question. A lot of people find it the hardest part of P2 but I found it the easiest and most enjoyable, so I'm not sure what tips to give there. :P

Patchy~ wrote: »
    For English Paper 1 reading helps so much. I didn't actually read books, I read short stories since that was always my preferred essay style but a lot of people prefer the others.

If you go to goodreads.com and find quotes from books it can be good - you find new ways to express yourself and descriptive words, that way you can make alliteration and stuff, small things but they make your work stand out. For some context, I was getting 70-80 in stories usually, with one odd 94 :D, but looking back on them they're an absolute bore to read to me personally though I'd say for LC standard they'd get those marks. After I started to take down good ways to express things and engage the reader a bit more my teacher started to give me 95+ and even 100 sometimes :P

Just one last thing on stories, if you do choose to do them I find it's better to be descriptive rather than putting dialogue in. :)

For Paper 2, make a list of points for each theme in macbeth, character profiles, be able to integrate quotes into poetry essays rather than "When she says x, we see x" - if that makes sense? It helps with the flow if you can say something like "She feels "sadness beyond measure" when she "sees..."".

Lastly, you can kind of rote-learn the comparative. I tried to do that and this year they mixed it up a bit but you just adapt it to the question. A lot of people find it the hardest part of P2 but I found it the easiest and most enjoyable, so I'm not sure what tips to give there. :P

Thanks so much I am speechless on how kind you are to help. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KellyBel38

www.leaving-cert-notes.weebly.com

I did my leaving cert last year, and before I head off to college next week, I decided not to let all the notes I wrote go to waste so I'm slowly but surely putting them up on my website so maybe they can help someone else out. It's a work in progress and I will be putting more notes up.

I will also give advice and tips on how I got through the year and still achieved high results. And if anyone has any notes they want to donate to the site, send me a message :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

DO NOT BELIEVE PREDICTIONS! :mad: The problem with social networking is word travels fast and there's no truth to it majority of the time. So many English papers [in poetry] were left blank this summer due to false 'predictions' floating around facebook which almost seemed to become fact from everybody hearing/seeing it.

It is only day 3 of 6th year and already 4 of my teachers (3 of whom are on the department of their subject) have told us how unpredictable the '13 papers will be compared to last years. Our LC is going to be a bit harder then past years due to lack of college placements now so I don't think risking poets is worth it to be honest! My Geography teacher went through the paper today and admitted that it was an awful paper with the wording and struggled herself to answer the questions. Over the years the English papers have been changing (started slightly in '10, more in 12 and will be fully in '13), by changing I do not mean the content of the exam but what the examiners are looking for etc.

KellyBel38 wrote: »
    www.leaving-cert-notes.weebly.com

I did my leaving cert last year, and before I head off to college next week, I decided not to let all the notes I wrote go to waste so I'm slowly but surely putting them up on my website so maybe they can help someone else out. It's a work in progress and I will be putting more notes up.

I will also give advice and tips on how I got through the year and still achieved high results. And if anyone has any notes they want to donate to the site, send me a message :)

Awesome work bro thanks so much. Please put notes on history online please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

One piece of advice:Bring a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

PLATH IS DEAD TO ALL LEAVING CERT STUDENTS SO JUST DON'T EVEN DO THE QUESTION ON HER IF IT COMES UP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I want all of you guys to go look back at the threads from the English exam this year. In fact, any exam this year.
    Predictions don't work anymore! They have specifically made them less predictable

Advertisement