Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Predictions go wrong, that goes with out saying! Look at all the stories about how badly it can turn out? that will be one of you! do you want it to be you?
    My advice is to take the predictions with a smile and hope they come up, but at the very least skim over everything.
    Your correct, you should cover all aspects of the course but should zoom in on topics that are likely to come up. For example, study 5 poets study 2/3 in great detail!
    IPut yourself in the paper-setter's shoes. would you follow trends? haha. as if! I think we can underestimate the exam board- they most certainly are aware of those who predict. Naturally, they won't be too happy putting something on that keeps appearing, but they may! and that is what matters.
    Their role is not to try and catch people out, they try to recycle all the topics within the course for most subjects to ensure topics constantly are recycled. Subjects like Geography, History, Ag Science of the subjects I do are easily predicted.

The very, very best of luck with these final two weeks of study.
    I know that for me, this is where it will be one or lost.
    Always remember when we shoot for the moon, we land on the stars!
    Stars are further away then the moon...most likely we would die...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

"Your correct, you should cover all aspects of the course but should zoom in on topics that are likely to come up. For example, study 5 poets study 2/3 in great detail!"
    Exactly what I said.

"Their role is not to try and catch people out, they try to recycle all the topics within the course for most subjects to ensure topics constantly are recycled. Subjects like Geography, History, Ag Science of the subjects I do are easily predicted."
    Where did you find their job description? I think if you had of kept up with recent current matters, they're trying to take the predictability from the Leaving cert.

"Stars are further away then the moon...most likely we would die..."
    Depends on where you are referencing the distance from. My statement was far from realistic so who said I was talking about Earth?
    And, I was only wishing people good luck. no need to be a dick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

"Your correct, you should cover all aspects of the course but should zoom in on topics that are likely to come up. For example, study 5 poets study 2/3 in great detail!"
    Exactly what I said.

Yep my aim was not to contradict everything you said, it wasn't an attack. :rolleyes:
    "Their role is not to try and catch people out, they try to recycle all the topics within the course for most subjects to ensure topics constantly are recycled. Subjects like Geography, History, Ag Science of the subjects I do are easily predicted."
    Where did you find their job description? I think if you had of kept up with recent current matters, they're trying to take the predictability from the Leaving cert.
    Actually Quinn has only announced the desire to remove the predictability this year, therefore it wouldn't really be until next year at which point I will not care.

Also one of our teachers is involved on some curriculum committee, she has talked to examiners of different subjects and I'm actually repeating what she said.
    "Stars are further away then the moon...most likely we would die..."
    Depends on where you are referencing the distance from. My statement was far from realistic so who said I was talking about Earth?
    And, I was only wishing people good luck. no need to be a dick....

The predantisism was a joke :P

matTNT wrote: »
    Yep my aim was not to contradict everything you said, it wasn't an attack. :rolleyes:

Actually Quinn has only announced the desire to remove the predictability this year, therefore it wouldn't really be until next year at which point I will not care.

Also one of our teachers is involved on some curriculum committee, she has talked to examiners of different subjects and I'm actually repeating what she said.

The predantisism was a joke :P
    Enjoy your studies. :) Hope all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aq11

English:

Poetry:
    Mahon 
    Shakespeare 
    Bishop
    Plath

Macbeth:
    Kingship
    Lady Macbeth
    Or possibly a dodgy one on "The enduring popularity of Macbeth" or something along those lines

Irish:

Essays:
    An tOstal
    An Ghaeilge
    An Coras Oideachais
    (Something to to with) Saol an Deagora
    Mean Cumarsaide

Pros:
    Not worth predicting as only 4 options

Poetry:
    Same as Pros but definitely part of the question on the poet (unless it's Spailpin)

Physics:

Section A (Experiments):
    Q1: Equilibrium/Measurement of g
    Q2: Heat
    Q3: Speed of sound in air/Wavelength of monochromatic light (or possibly Snell's Law or Focal length of a concave mirror but they're easy enough)
    Q4: Joule's Law/ Resistivity

Section B:
    Q5: Short Questions
    Q6: Meachanics
    Q7: Waves/Sound/Light
    Q8: Electricity
    Q9: Modern Physics
    Q10: Particle Physics
    Q11: STS
    Q12 (a): Mechanics
    Q12 (b): Sound (Doppler Effect)
    Q12 (c): Electricity
    Q12 (d): Modern Physics 

The Doppler Effect is very likely to turn up, most likely in 12 (b) but they could put it in Q7 or else they might just have it has a part of Q5.

French:

Written Compositions:
    Q1 (a)/(b): One will be an "Give your Opinion/Reaction" and the other is usually something quite unpredictable
    Q2 (a): Diary Entry
    Q2 (b): Letter
    Q3 (a)/(b): Opinion/Reaction
    Q4 (a)/(b): Opinion/Reaction

The Opinion/Reaction pieces are not the most predictable but I reckon some of the following topics will come up:

The Internet
    Protection of the environment/Pollution
    Food/Obesity
    Woman/Old people in society
    Drugs/Tabacco
    Fashion
    Pride in: Your area/Ireland
    Importance of: Learning French/Irish etc.

Ancient Greek: ;)

Q4's:

Section A:
    (i) Sicilian Expedition
    (iv) Cleisthenes + Athenian system of government

Section B:
    (iii) Trace the development of Greek sculpture from the Archaic period to the Classical period
    (iv):
    (a): Red figure style vase
    (b): Parthenon facade
    (c): Theatre of Epidaurus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Nkerr

history and geography anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

aq11 wrote: »
    English:

Poetry:
    Mahon 
    Shakespeare 
    Bishop
    Plath

Macbeth:
    Kingship
    Lady Macbeth
    Or possibly a dodgy one on "The enduring popularity of Macbeth" or something along those lines

Irish:

Essays:
    An tOstal
    An Ghaeilge
    An Coras Oideachais
    Mean Cumarsaide

Pros:

Poetry:
    Same as Pros but definitely part of the question on the poet (unless it's Spailpin)

Is an tOstal the gathering?

buyer95 wrote: »
    English:

Poetry:
    Mahon 
    Shakespeare 
    Bishop
    Plath

Macbeth:
    Kingship
    Lady Macbeth

Irish:

Essays:
    An tOstal
    An Ghaeilge
    An Coras Oideachais
    Mean Cumarsaide

Pros:

Poetry:

Is an tOstal the gathering?
    'tis indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I was told by my teacher can still ask about the poet for an spailpin but it would be answered something like this.
    We dont know who he was but he was around the 1800's, We think its the spailpin himself who wrote it, he had no fixed job as he was a spailpin and where he ventured - (take it from the poem)

Just to let ye know incase its gets asked

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

Irish ordinary level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 roxyos

Home Economics HL anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I have an awful feeling that Plath and Mahon could be left out just to shake things up. Hope I'm wrong as I'm learning them two and Bishop myself. I think Geography will be a tricky paper, long gone are the piss easy papers of the early 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

How does one go about learning an Irish essay? I have no idea how to study for this, need help please!

I wouldn't worry too much about poetry for English, apparently it's only worth like 12% of the entire paper. I only studied Plath last year stupidly and she wasn't there so I left out that question completely and still ended up doing quite well.

Business ABQ: What kind of questions do people suggest will be there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

lc_2013 wrote: »
    Business ABQ: What kind of questions do people suggest will be there?

Probably marketing mix question (Global mix)
    Types of business expansion (pick best suited to business)
    type of business (franchising,Plc,ltd) and why would you change business type etc.
    Social responsibility to stakeholders or environment
    Possible nasty question we could get is something on European Union institutions/policy's or a business plan

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Catherine12345

Does anyone have any biology hl, any hints on experiments?

A mix of all experiments is likely, thus we have to learn them all. Experiments are 15% so well worth doing them well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I would expect that one question will definitely be mixed , i mean 1 question on about 3/4 experiments, maybe dicot stem / yeast/ enzyme and i think IAA could come up.

For English, if Plath comes up I think the question will be difficult to approach. I do think she will come up because they can't keep putting people on the course if they won't exam them.
    Shakespeare and Wordsworth haven't come up in years and I don't know how people have not latched onto this fact yet? That being said, I think it will be one or the other, not both. And I'm studying WW.
    If they dare put Adrienne Rich up again, I'll try my hardest to beat them..
    Mahon could come up and it would be lovely if he did.
    My teacher thinks this could be the year without a female poet as two years ago they had two.

This is all just my speculation and please don't rely on predictions. I'm covering four poets and even then I'm scared the other four will come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone as any Irish HL tips? For the Aiste i am preparing Imirce, Coras oideachas An oige, Gaelige and problems with the internet and technology. I haven't even started learning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

For the the Irish aiste i am highly doubtful that The Gathering will come up. Sure you can use it if emigration or an Ghailge comes up but i can't see them actually using a heading so specific. they want to see our ability with the language and a topic like that is more about information

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

I know that for me, this is where it will be one or lost.
    Always remember when we shoot for the moon, we land on the stars!
    Got a good laugh out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

kev44 wrote: »
    For the the Irish aiste i am highly doubtful that The Gathering will come up. Sure you can use it if emigration or an Ghailge comes up but i can't see them actually using a heading so specific. they want to see our ability with the language and a topic like that is more about information

Thats true. They are so hard to learn :confused: Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Copper Nikus.

For English I'm going to study Path, Bishop and Mahon really well. I'll go over a few Rich and Kinsella quotes, just in case the department decide to be even bigger w*nkers than they were last year.

Macbeth...Kingship/Leadership, imagery, the witches/evil, the characters of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. A lot of those are intertwined and would cover me if any random questions came up too.

Comparative - I'll study Theme and Issue really well and cover Cultural Context just in case.

I'm good at bull****ting, so I'm sorted for Paper I and the unseen poem. It's the things I have to study for that really get me. :P I really wish that the comparative was examined through coursework rather than in an exam. I suppose there's not much point in complaining about how ridiculous the whole Leaving Cert system is now though.

Does anyone have any predictions for history? We didn't even finish the course properly in school and our teacher has corrected a total of two essays since the beginning of 5th year. It's safe to say that I am royally f*cked. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

IV decided I'm gonna study Bishop, Plath, Mahon and Shakespeare

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Toblerone123

Wow, I've 14 essays and I'm worrying they wont be enough! :O Once you know the case studies really well and the area in the books before and after, you're usually covered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 joeperry15

hello all. Im doing honours ag science for my leaving cert and I am wondering what you all think will come up this year? don't know where to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 joeperry15

Does anybody have any tips/predictions on what is going to come up on the Higher level paper this year and will the straight biome appear do ye think? cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

do the case studies always HAVE TO come up..? i'm is it a requirement or just a thing thats always happened like there being a women poet in english in all years

Advertisement