Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

ahmdoda wrote: »
    haha i feel stupid for english all am doing is 1 poet (worthworth) 1 comparative (Culture context) and for macbeth deception/evil & super natural/Kingship with other 7 subject in my hand all im looking for is a pass hopefully this will pass me

You have a 25% chance of sucess with the poets. 50% with comparitive and 20% with Single text.

You have a 2% chance of success in this English paper. lol. (i.e. at least one of your studied material coming up on paper 2 in each section.)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

haha i feel stupid for english all am doing is 1 poet (worthworth) 1 comparative (Culture context) and for macbeth deception/evil & super natural/Kingship with other 7 subject in my hand all im looking for is a pass hopefully this will pass me

You won't fail. I did no poet last year and got a C2, but for Comparative I'd do at least two modes, if not all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

kerriew12 wrote: »
    So Biology- food molecules and ecology/scientific method come up in section A every year!
    also there are 2 Qs in section A from each unit and in section C there's 1Q from unit 1, 2Qs from unit 2 and 3Qs from unit 3.....ant the part C in long Qs is usually bout the contemporary issue! hope this helps!
    Does anyone have ny predictions for Business HL....Ive heard breakeven chart?

Just wondering what is the "contemporary issue" ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 orlalc94

Can any higher level history students tell me if I'm covered with these topics, because if they don't come up I'm screwed!

pursuit of sovereignty/partition:
    1 - 1916 (causes and consequences)
    2 - Why was the Anglo Irish Treaty Controversial
    3 - Consequences of Anglo- Irish Treaty / Civil War
    4 - Sinn Féin / Griffith
    5 - The Blitz (North and South)

Northern Ireland:
    1 - Welfare State
    2 - Civil Rights
    3 - Sunningdale / Direct Rule
    4 - Importance of Sunningdale with a bit of Anglo Irish Agreement 1985

European Section:
    1 - Stalins Domestic Policy
    2 - Stalins Show Trials
    3 - Governments in Germany 1920-1939 which is linked with my Hitler's Rise Essay
    4 - Church State Relations (Germany and Italy)
    5 - Propaganda/ Characteristics of Nazism

And also Katanga and France?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Just wondering Any one any ideas about HL french or HL geography ? Seriously screwed for both of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

matTNT wrote: »

Any more suggestions for MacBeth?

Yeah, he can go die in a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

orlalc94 wrote: »
    Can any higher level history students tell me if I'm covered with these topics, because if they don't come up I'm screwed!

4 - Sinn Féin / Griffith

Northern Ireland:
    1 - Welfare State
    2 - Civil Rights

European Section:
    2 - Stalins Show Trials
    3 - Governments in Germany 1920-1939 which is linked with my Hitler's Rise Essay

I say you'll be grand :)
    I really want these to come up:

. The Anglo Irish Treaty
    . Sunningdale or Apprentice Boys
    . Show Trials or Nuremberg
    . France

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

for HL history, political and social reform what are ye studying?
    i know the 1913 lockout
    all home rule stuff from 1885-1914
    and im learning land agitation and reform now.
    is that enough do u think?
    this is my least favourite of all the history topics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kerriew12

David1994 wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the "contemporary issue" ? :)

there are different ones with different chapters...... like movement through cell membranes the contemporary issue is application of high sugar concentrations in food production....so making jam the sugar draws water out from cells of micro organisms and they die!... bioprocessing immobilized enzyme ...in bacteria its the 5 stage growth curve...contraception in reproduction chapter.... parkinson's disease in nervous system chapter and stuff like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifejay

H.L.Maths- 1st principle of sin is up there as is newton raphson and a long financial maths q
    History-Lockout 1913,Cumann Na Gaedhael and Fianna Fail in some shape and hopefully britain/germany interwar and Stalin is always a good bet
    English-MAHON or Shakespeare please with Macbeth kingship or Lady Macbeth/Macbeth relationship
    Irish-An Spailpin Fanach and something to do with Irish culture in the aiste
    Music-the Coda from Tchaivosky has never come up as a long q and my teacher is convinced
    This is not Gospel but its my focus for the next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Physics teacher advised me to know these experiments very well

G by freefall
    Speed of sound in air
    Co planer forces
    Snells Law
    joules law
    Specific heat capacity of water
    Variation of resistance with temperature in a thermistor and metallic conductor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

kerriew12 wrote: »
    there are different ones with different chapters...... like movement through cell membranes the contemporary issue is application of high sugar concentrations in food production....so making jam the sugar draws water out from cells of micro organisms and they die!... bioprocessing immobilized enzyme ...in bacteria its the 5 stage growth curve...contraception in reproduction chapter.... parkinson's disease in nervous system chapter and stuff like that :)

Ah I thought that was what it was. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cp95

Nobody can predict the leaving cert but these are just a few things im thinking.

English: Everybody is predicting either Mahon or Plath but I've got a strong feeling that the department are going to be absolute knobheads and stick on kinsella or Rich again to spice things up, I'd only love for Mahon to come up now but I'm kind of doubting it. Think I'll go ahead with Mahon and kinsella and throw in a bit of Bishop and hope for the best!
    Macbeth I'm doing kingship and learning general quotes and the whole evil imagery and whatnot.
    Comparative I'm praying for theme or issue because the essay we've done on cultural context is pure Japanese!

Geography: The usuals like river Rhine, landforms of deposition/erosion, I'm thinking igneous rocks, volcanos, I'd say the regional will be as scattered and confusing as always, the elective is usually the same stuff each year mnc's globalisation etc and as for the biome I'm praying for the characteristics!

Irish OL: I'm fairly terrible at irish but I know my teacher is thinking An Spailpin Fanach and I think colscaradh! Then with the stories I've not a notion to even what they're called haha!

Business HL: Also terrible at business but I'm kind of hoping for either a decent ratios question or a break even chart if not both, ABQ will be hard as the past few years they've had the same question of the marketing mix which I don't think they'll throw in again sadly, no idea why but I think a cash flow yoke will pop up somewhere and industrial relations! Genuinely don't know where to start with business!

Art History HL: I know a lot of people including the teachers are thinking newgrange will come up which would be handy now but if not they seem to be focusing on the same type of bronze age/iron age objects etc for the past few years! I'd say the gothic/Romanesque question will be a hard one with a picture of buildings and us explaining them, the pre question was lovely about churches on a pilgrimage route but I doubt it'll be an easy one, Giotto looks fairly decent aswell to come up! The gallery question might be worded differently or something but without a doubt it's the easiest of them all, talk about absolutely everything in the gallery make it up make up the layout the size of the paintings it is so so simple just make sure it's worded in accordance to the question asked!

Maths OL: I don't really understand how people predict maths so I'll just go ahead and say study good and hard on this one cause your done if you fail it!

These are just ideas I have in my head, i am by no means saying this is what will come up so don't hold me liable haha! study everything and anything and you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

For English, Are ye guys doing the full comparative question (70 marks) or the mixed one (40/30)?

Which is the easiest one to get marks in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

For English, Are ye guys doing the full comparative question (70 marks) or the mixed one (40/30)?

Which is the easiest one to get marks in?

It depends on the question asked, obviously, but I usually try to do the straight 70. I find it easier to focus on all the three texts at the same time. But again, it depends on the question!

Yeah I suppose! I was not really thinking of the question. I have this really long essay like 12 A4 typed pages on both CC and Theme and i have 36 comparative links. seemingly, we need about 15 so if i try my best to meomorise the links and then just weave them into the question.
    I think that the trick is to keep saying something about the essay title in each paragraph. That truly is paramount to our success ;)
    All the best with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

orlalc94 wrote: »

4 - Sinn Féin / Griffith

Northern Ireland:
    1 - Welfare State
    2 - Civil Rights

European Section:
    2 - Stalins Show Trials

Add in CnG and FF's economic and social policies from 1921-WW2 and you're set in my opinion. Maybe look over De Valera.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Toblerone123

Ive an essay on Cumann na gaedheal and Fianna Fails economic policies and its the one I did in the mocks, but has it actually ever come up? I could look through my papers but that's a bit of an effort!!

lc_2013 wrote: »
    You won't fail. I did no poet last year and got a C2, but for Comparative I'd do at least two modes, if not all 3.

lol don't say silly things, he'll be looking for your head on a stick given your reassurance. You still have time to do the bare minimum. Do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

lc_2013 wrote: »
    and thats all i want :P i know some one who got 590 with a D1 in english as long as i can pull 50% in p1 i think il be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

and thats all i want :P i know some one who got 590 with a D1 in english as long as i can pull 50% in p1 i think il be fine

Just be careful that you will actually pass , they obviously didn't count english , even 50% in p1 wil not save you if you fail the second paper ,to be frank it doesn't take that much extra time to do another few poets if it will increase your chances of passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Ive an essay on Cumann na gaedheal and Fianna Fails economic policies and its the one I did in the mocks, but has it actually ever come up? I could look through my papers but that's a bit of an effort!!

From the back of my mind they have came up, and quite regularly. Usually they might ask you to compare the two (like who handled Anglo-Irish relations better W.T Cosgrave (CnG) or Eamon de Valera (FF)?) or what were the successes of one or the other.

Anglo-Irish relations is a completely different question though!! I made that mistake and wrote the economic policies essay out instead of the one my teacher assigned us on the anglo-irish relations, worked to my advantage coming up on the mocks! :P Just looked through the papers there it has never come up as a full question.. in 2006 there was a question on Cosgrave and in 2011 one on deValera, they would both just use parts of that essay though. Oh I'd love if it came up thats one of the few I know very well :D

I'll bet any man(or woman) 10 euro that Irish economic policy will come up, it's never come up before but I've got a feeling it will.

Same I have a good feeling about it! And it came up on both mock papers if I'm correct?

Same I have a good feeling about it! And it came up on both mock papers if I'm correct?

*Cough* McElligot *Cough*

Am I supposed to be extremely confused by that..?

Am I supposed to be extremely confused by that..?

No silly, it's a hint McElligott is the only key personality who hasn't come up and he's in the Irish economy section. I thought your teacher would have mentioned it tbh...

matTNT wrote: »
    No silly, it's a hint McElligott is the only key personality who hasn't come up and he's in the Irish economy section. I thought your teacher would have mentioned it tbh...

Stop using the word silly. It's silly and condescending...

• Advertisement

hahaha oh I see, well no my teacher says she always stays away form predicting because when she was young she gave her class a list of things she thought were going to come up and none of them did!!

Advertisement