Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

fontdor wrote: »
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    How many poets have ye done? Just learn quotes for them. For me I learned 6-9 quotes from every poem, I learned stuff for 4 poems from each poet so I'd over 30 quotes for each poet (probably far too much but it helped me form my answers). Just go through the meaning, themes, language, imagery etc of each poet and try to come to a conclusion by mixing all the poems together to get the bones of an answer. But no great detail is needed right from the off. If you just knew quotes and meaning of poems and had the general feel of the poet by October-November you'd by flying. For the text question (are you doing the Shakespeare one?). I did it, Hamlet and for that it was all about learning relevant quotes and just getting to know the story inside out so that if a bad question came up at least I'd know the story. For the questions part. Just try and get notes together for themes, characters, etc. Comparative is all about knowing your 3 texts inside out. Find out what aspects could come up in the exam. Like ggvp, theme and issue. For me I just came to grips with the aspects and then applied my texts to it. I wouldn't study much (or at all) for unseen poetry. If you can read poetry you're sorted. Essays need a lot of work, something I didn't do which was stupid of me. Find out what your strengths in writing are. Like are you imaginative. Are you a deep person (personal essays) or are you passionate (speechs/talks/articles). It's all about developing the vocab for them and finding out what suits you. Go against your teacher if it comes to it. If you're certain you're suited to one type of essay but your teacher thinks different, go with your instinct. It's your exam.

Sorry I typed this in a rush but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying. Just shout if you don't understand or want more detail! I'm sure the other boardsie's will oblige with more help anyway :D God knows they're better at english than me. Irish and Geog were my two subjects

We done Plath and Mahon atm & also we done MacBeth
    Your pretty far behind....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 markh1074

personally im praying for Wordsworth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

for higher Irish I can see an essay/debate coming up on the topic of abortion... and also Plath coming up for English as it's her 50th year since death anniversary or something like that. For accountancy i'd say the manufacturing account for Q1, sadly. but yeah, as countless people have said before, don't rely on predictions. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

markh1074 wrote: »
    personally im praying for Wordsworth!

Eughhh......no, just no. (That being a please no, I loved daffodils for the JC though)

I'll bet Plath won't come up though, the LC English department did not put on the poets most expected to come up in the last 2 years, making a point about not relying on predictions, and seeing as most people are expecting Plath to come up this year...........

Mind you I had the same theory in the JC about the proof of Pythagoras's theorem and of course I was the only person in my year who hadn't learned it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

My English teacher predicts that as this is Shakesperare's last year on the paper he is very likely to come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TheTalk

Leaving cert works in patterns, it's human nature and the people who make exams would feel very guilty if they put the same question from last year. Human nature not rocket science people

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GigaBaxter

Guys r ye riting about imagery and such 4 yer answers? Mi mocks r in a few weeks and I'm totes out of my depth... wrecking mi head lel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

GigaBaxter wrote: »
    Guys r ye riting about imagery and such 4 yer answers? Mi mocks r in a few weeks and I'm totes out of my depth... wrecking mi head lel

Pardon?

As the charter says, "No txt spek pls. it suxors.".
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GigaBaxter

To be honest I was fairly drunk when I wrote that. Regardless, my question is still valid, m8.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

mixery wrote: »
    My English teacher predicts that as this is Shakesperare's last year on the paper he is very likely to come up.

Most people will likely be doing either Shakespeare or Wordsworth to cover the 'old poet' angle, but although you raise a valid point - Wordsworth is still yet to appear on a Leaving Cert paper! So it's a tough one to call between those two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 TripShip

Plath definitely and then Shakespeare very likely

TripShip wrote: »
    Plath definitely and then Shakespeare very likely
    The English department purposely don't put on the poets most expected to come up, they're trying to make a point about not relying on predictions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

HugsiePie wrote: »
    The English department purposely don't put on the poets most expected to come up, they're trying to make a point about not relying on predictions!

This is so true, especially for last year.
    English teachers across the country were almost guaraunteeing Plath and Heany, and neither came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mingemobile

heaney is not even on our course xoxo

heaney is not even on our course xoxo

But it was on the course last year, that's what I was saying.

biohaiid wrote: »
    This is so true, especially for last year.
    English teachers across the country were almost guaraunteeing Plath and Heany, and neither came up.

Which is why it's even more likely this year ;)

Yeah, it's that kinda logic that leads to a vicious circle :P
    But hey, what do I care, I'm not the one that's doing the Leaving this year. Do as ye like. :)

biohaiid wrote: »
    Yeah, it's that kinda logic that leads to a vicious circle :P
    But hey, what do I care, I'm not the one that's doing the Leaving this year. Do as ye like. :)

Why is Plath supposed to be likely anyway? Is it because she hasn't come up in ages? Cause what about Shakespeare...? :confused:

Why is Plath supposed to be likely anyway? Is it because she hasn't come up in ages? Cause what about Shakespeare...? :confused:

I'm not saying she is likely for this year, I dunno anything about this years predictions, all I know is last year Plath and Heaney were almost gauraunteed.
    I think it was Heaneys last year on the course, can't remember what ye were told about Plath ..
    I think this year is 50 years since her death, so I guess thats y shes being predicted, but I dunno!
    Dont read too much into it anyway!

It's that sort of thinking which is going to lead to people coming out of the exam hall in tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

I predict that I wont be sitting the leaving cert this year...thank feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I know it's not much, but I'm thinking there could possibly be an Irish comprehension on SaorView in the LC if you wanna try brush up on your television & media vocab :pac:

They usually try to cover a significant event that made the news and that happened around October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Ecology will be on the Biology paper, mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

sganyfx wrote: »
    Ecology will be on the Biology paper, mark my words.

But, how can you be so sure? :eek:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

If Plath doesn't come up this year, she'll be practically dead cert next year. So she has to come up this year. QED

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

Plath and no Adrienne Rich since there's no way they'd bring her up two years in a row! There's always one female poet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

So if you study Plath, Bishop and Shakespeare you're sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My teacher is saying it'll be plath, bishop, Mahon and Shakespeare

DonallFitz wrote: »
    Plath and no Adrienne Rich since there's no way they'd bring her up two years in a row! There's always one female poet anyway.
    Nowhere on the syllabus dies it say a woman has to come up. This could be the year they finally prove it to all the students out there who believe this. NEVER RELY ON PREDICTIONS IN ENGLISH! You'll only end up disappointed in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Mahon Plath and bishop in that order. Pretty confident atleast one of them will be there

Advertisement