Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭stew.z.ger

They're for 2010....

Are you serious ??? I'm only sitting the Higher Level Irish this year so since there was no Irish avaliable I didn't bother looking at the other subjects.. My bad!! Fingers crossed that they will post up some 2013 predictions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

stew.z.ger wrote: »
    Are you serious ??? I'm only sitting the Higher Level Irish this year so since there was no Irish avaliable I didn't bother looking at the other subjects.. My bad!! Fingers crossed that they will post up some 2013 predictions..

Why?

This guy is only making his own predictions, the predictions you'll find here (in this thread) and the predictions you'll find on this guys you tube are going to be very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Catherine12345

HL Irish poems, storys and danta breise anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

buyer95 wrote: »
    Study week in school this week and everyone is doing Plath and Mahon. I have a feeling Hopkins may come up, he hasn't been up since 04. I have Hopkins and Plath learned, tomorrow ill do Mahon, and I'll prob give a run over Bishop the night before. For geography isostacy is widely tipped as is waterfalls and globalisation or colonisation. I went to a grinds school revision course and the teacher there said she heard that no biome will appear on the paper this year... Scared the fcuck out of me because soils are so detailed and harder to learn.

what is isostacy :eek:

matTNT wrote: »
    Why?

This guy is only making his own predictions, the predictions you'll find here (in this thread) and the predictions you'll find on this guys you tube are going to be very similar.

WHy am I only sitting Irish??? Is that what you mean?? I'm wanting to do Primary teaching and need my Irish.. I was only wondering if his predictions are spot on, if what he predicted last year really did come up.. What Irish essays are you concentrating on?? i'm dreading the essay part... I'm so stuck on trying to learn phrases off by heart!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I reckon the SEC are on to us, I bet they'll leave out Plath again and Mahon. But then again, Plath has to come up soon.

stew.z.ger wrote: »
    WHy am I only sitting Irish???

No, I just mean that his predictions are only as likely as what you'll find here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

study13 wrote: »
    i wonder what does that youtube predictor guy thinks about whats gonna come up :P
    Who is the youtube predictor;) guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭study13

Who is the youtube predictor;) guy?

he predicts what comes up on the leaving cert every year but he only uploads them like a day or two before the exam of that subject ... so looks like we are all gonna have to wait and see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

shootie wrote: »
    I reckon the SEC are on to us, I bet they'll leave out Plath again and Mahon. But then again, Plath has to come up soon.
    IF bISHOP AND MAHON ISNT THERE ..well...im ****ed!! everythings getting so much more un predictable since last year :((

• Advertisement

was anybody else told that... the plot and the charachters are due to come up for An Triail this year ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

what is isostacy :eek:

Don't worry, my teacher hasn't covered it either. :( Though, it is tipped for this year and if you look at the trend in past Q's it looks like it could be due an appearance.

Isostasy is basically to do with the different densities of the continental and oceanic plates and how they float differently as a result. When continents are eroded, the sediment is deposited in lower lying land increasing it's weight and pressing it down. This in turn reduces the weight of the higher elevated land (like mountains) so they float higher and are thus eroded again. It causes a levelling of the landscape.

The essay, if it came up, I would assume is just to discuss this process and then talk about a few landforms that form because of it (raised beaches/wave cut platforms/fjords).

There's also a small section on the 'rejuvenation' of rivers which is an isostatic process.

Could somebody has actually prepared an essay on this clarify though, please? I'm only going on what little I could pull from textbooks and revision books!
    study13 wrote: »
    he predicts what comes up on the leaving cert every year but he only uploads them like a day or two before the exam of that subject ... so looks like we are all gonna have to wait and see :D

How accurate is he, usually? I'm trying not to rely on predictions and all, but if he says something that I've neglected I would at least have a chance to glance over it in case he's right.

Link us so we can keep an eye on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any Macbeth essays could they please pm me them? In dire need of some as I only have one essay as that's just a general essay for it. Would really appreciate it:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Michbax

Why does everyone think oisin I dtir na nog and geibheann is gonna come up ?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Don't worry, my teacher hasn't covered it either. :( Though, it is tipped for this year and if you look at the trend in past Q's it looks like it could be due an appearance.

Isostasy is basically to do with the different densities of the continental and oceanic plates and how they float differently as a result. When continents are eroded, the sediment is deposited in lower lying land increasing it's weight and pressing it down. This in turn reduces the weight of the higher elevated land (like mountains) so they float higher and are thus eroded again. It causes a levelling of the landscape.

The essay, if it came up, I would assume is just to discuss this process and then talk about a few landforms that form because of it (raised beaches/wave cut platforms/fjords).

There's also a small section on the 'rejuvenation' of rivers which is an isostatic process.

Could somebody has actually prepared an essay on this clarify though, please? I'm only going on what little I could pull from textbooks and revision books!

First time i even heard of the word, let alone know what its about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Same for me, I think geography teachers leave out a lot of parts of the course since the paper offers so many options on what question you answer.
    I think before the SEC starts thinking about "curve balls" such as changing the predictability of a paper such as Geography and English, especially the poetry section, they need to look at how the subjects are taught in preparation. It is inevitable that people make predictions as it is impossible to cover every single thing on a course.

For instance the other honours English class in my school attempted to cover all 8 poets, but it just resulted in a half-arsed mediocre knowledge of them and most people I know in the class are banking on Bishop to come up as it was the only one the teacher went into depth on due to personal preference. The same could be said for Macbeth where this idea of questions on Banquo, Malcolm, Macduff etc was not looked at all, and most likely wasn't in other schools either.

I am not for spoon feeding the course to the point that everyone gets As but there has to be some happy medium where there is some sense of randomness without students getting screwed over in the process.

God that was a long post, I love procrastination :p

Michbax wrote: »
    Why does everyone think oisin I dtir na nog and geibheann is gonna come up ?? :/

I think Tír na nÓg is gonna come up as its Bliain na Gaeilge this year...

andrew369 wrote: »
    I am not for spoon feeding the course to the point that everyone gets As but there has to be some happy medium where there is some sense of randomness without students getting screwed over in the process.

Never will everyone get As, this is the thing that gets me about the leaving cert, it really does boil down to luck too much of the time and messing up the predictability is only feeding this beast. The SEC will adjust their marking scheme so they get their nice little bell curve so I honestly don't see why it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Never will everyone get As, this is the thing that gets me about the leaving cert, it really does boil down to luck too much of the time and messing up the predictability is only feeding this beast. The SEC will adjust their marking scheme so they get their nice little bell curve so I honestly don't see why it matters.

Good point on the bell curve statistics. :o While it is a little forced that they have to squeeze the marking scheme to get the grades averaged out I'm not complaining as it is probably the only way I will get through Maths and Irish. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Is the bull curve determined locally/in your own school or is it actually a national calculation because the latter seems like a lot of effort.

• Advertisement

Is the bell curve determined locally/in your own school or is it actually a national calculation because the latter seems like a lot of effort.

National

National

Such a feat. seems nearly impossible? I would have guessed they sample say the first 100 scripts then callibrate everything else accordingly as the statistics do vary slightly from year to year.

Such a feat. seems nearly impossible? I would have guessed they sample say the first 100 scripts then callibrate everything else accordingly as the statistics do vary slightly from year to year.

Nope, they correct and recorrect until it fits.

Nope, they correct and recorrect until it fits.

Madness, for a 100% accurate result, they would be correcting till infinity. Bit like a newton-raphson, they are only going to get closer to the desired result, highly doubt they keep correcting it now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They sample the first 20 which gives a surprisingly accurate prediction of the final national result.
    There is no sample 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Would of loved to seen the project maths first bell curve from last year, I'd say it took them a while recorrecting them!

spurious wrote: »
    They sample the first 20 which gives a surprisingly accurate prediction of the final national result.
    There is no sample 100.

Haha i bloody knew it! Cheers spury youre a good lad for the knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Amycork

HL ENGLISH - Can someone please pm a general macbeth essay that i can use for all macbeth questions.. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

It came up as a 30m essay in 2011 and 2009! Still, since a lot of teachers (including my own) didn't even mention it, let alone cover it, it's probably not all too important. I might prepare an answer if I can clear up a few minutes between now and the exam (unlikely :P). Physical Geography is usually alright if you know the couple of core topics that come up every year (or thereabouts) really well, so I reckon we'd still have a decent amount of choice if we left it out and it did happen to come up.

• Advertisement

Amycork wrote: »
    HL ENGLISH - Can someone please pm a general macbeth essay that i can use for all macbeth questions.. thanks

No such thing. Learn quotes/themes/characters and you'll be fine.

Advertisement