Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭study13

Sarahke wrote: »
    I'm just thinking about when it's all going to over. First stop... THE BEACH!! :D
    Knowing my luck, it will piss rain the second I'm finished my exams :P

thats not the problem the problem is that im repeating and just the thought that this is my last chance freaks me out :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sarahke

study13 wrote: »
    thats not the problem the problem is that im repeating and just the thought that this is my last chance freaks me out :'(

You'll be fine, don't worry! All you can do is your best :)

You'll be fine, don't worry! All you can do is your best :)

i guess so :o thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Copper Nikus.

You can repeat again. And if you don't want to, do a PLC course and work yourself up to whatever it is you want to do. Or go abroad where it might be easier to get into college. Or wait a few years until they bring in all of those course places based on a combination of points, interviews and personal statements which they are promising.

Or go travelling for a while and save up some money until you're 23 and points mean f*** all anymore.

The Leaving Cert is a pile of over-hyped boll*cks. I'm convinced the media hypes it up just so they can sell lots of Irish Times Study Guides and fill slots on radio shows about exam predictions and pressure.

You can repeat again. And if you don't want to, do a PLC course and work yourself up to whatever it is you want to do. Or go abroad where it might be easier to get into college. Or wait a few years until they bring in all of those course places based on a combination of points, interviews and personal statements which they are promising.

Or go travelling for a while and save up some money until you're 23 and points mean f*** all anymore.

The Leaving Cert is a pile of over-hyped boll*cks. I'm convinced the media hypes it up just so they can sell lots of Irish Times Study Guides and fill slots on radio shows about exam predictions and pressure.

that last part made me laugh :) im just gonna try my best - i just hate the way its all because of points you get into whatever you want i mean i wish you only need to study the subject that is required for the course you want to study - agh whatever as if any of this is gonna change anything - agh lets all just do our best

• Advertisement

that last part made me laugh :) im just gonna try my best - i just hate the way its all because of points you get into whatever you want i mean i wish you only need to study the subject that is required for the course you want to study - agh whatever as if any of this is gonna change anything - agh lets all just do our best

As my teacher said "points mean nothing, they only determine how well you can read a book and learn from it. It doesn't indicate your personality in any way and your personality is what will get you places at the end of the day." There's no good getting 600 points and not being able to have a conversation with someone or to not be able to socially interact. The system is just ****ed up!

As my teacher said "points mean nothing, they only determine how well you can read a book and learn from it. It doesn't indicate your personality in any way and your personality is what will get you places at the end of the day." There's no good getting 600 points and not being able to have a conversation with someone or to not be able to socially interact. The system is just ****ed up!

yeah i guess you're right - sorry for over reacting :o lets just all do our best and not waste a minute!!! and also lets hope we all get into what we like and hope the points go down a bit :)

yeah i guess your right - sorry for over reacting :o lets just all do our best and not waste a minute!!! and also lets hope we all get into what we like and hope the points go down a bit :)

Best of luck guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

The system is fine tbh, one of the fairest systems in the world. There is very little capacity to call the Irish system unfair, if you want to rote learn the leaving cert that's fine but at the end of the day if you do a nice bit of work and understand rather than trying to learn things off you'll do better. The exams actually target people who try to learn off reams of facts, especially in English/History/Irish and even Geography more recently. Now you can learn things straight in subjects like biology and Ag Science but that's cause they are those type of subjects.

I'm not going to argue that the points system is correct but the leaving cert, as is, is fine. The points system is silly you could be poorly equipped for vetinary and the skills required but you may get the points, while someone who would make a better vet but because they didn't do well in English or some unrelated subject they didn't get the points. College courses should give double points for relevant subjects to the course (2 relevant subjects per course) that would make the system much fairer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

How much study is everyone actually doing? Like I feel like I don't have time for anything else, even sleep in order to cram in everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

history anybody? pleeaase
    my worst subject

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Toblerone123

kev44 wrote: »
    history anybody? pleeaase
    my worst subject

Well here's what I'm studying:

Dictatorship and Democracy
    -Nazi Propaganda
    -Technology of Warfare
    -Stalin/Lenin economic policies
    -Show Trials
    -Church state relations (Germany and Italy)
    -Mussolini's internal and external affairs

Sovereignty and Partition
    -Anglo Irish Treaty negotiations
    -Factors contributing to partition of Ireland
    -Rise of Sinn Féin
    -Economic policies of Cumann na nGaedheal and Fianna Fáil
    -Consolidating democracy

Northern Ireland
    -Apprentice Boys
    -Sunningdale Agreement
    -Coleraine Controversy
    -Maybe something to do with the emergence of civil rights movements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

We're all starting to feel the heat now, but don't let these exams define you! They are designed to measure your ability to understand, learn and recall information. That is but one facet of your personality. The exams do not measure your worth as a person at all. These exams are hyped up to be the "defining point" of your early life and that they will "determine the rest of your life" and that's just not true. Sure, doing well in the Leaving Cert is going to make it a lot handier for you to go on to college and get a degree if that's what you want and they're great in that sense. On the flipside, doing badly doesn't prevent you from going to college. It's just a bump in the road. There are PLC's, you can enter as a mature student, or if you feel you underperformed, you could consider repeating. It's important to be aware that we are never out of options, and as long as we have the drive to keep going, doorways will open for us.

Obviously, we should all strive to do our best and achieve what we want in the exams, but don't let them consume you. Some of us are already incredibly nervous and by Wednesday, the majority of us will be feeling the nerves. It's important to realise that we're all in this together though and we are going to get through it. It'll be a tough few weeks but sure, there's no avoiding it and whatever we have done, we have done, and with the exception of a few days of last minute cramming, all we can do is go into the hall and do our best. And sure ah well, if it doesn't work out and we mess up an exam or two (or three or four :P) it's not the end of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Luize wrote: »
    How much study is everyone actually doing? Like I feel like I don't have time for anything else, even sleep in order to cram in everything

From 10.30am to 6.30pm with an hour break in there. You?

You are not serious??? :O

Has anyone got the Lifelines Home Ec book? I can't find where on earth Sensory Analysis is for some reason!!!

You are not serious??? :O

I'm studying from 9am to 12 pm with 8 hour breaks in between. :P

I'm screwed. Tomorrow I'm planning on cramming English all day, but at this stage, I'm not sure what I can do. Oh well.

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNN and just one hour break???!!!!! :eek:

I'm screwed. Tomorrow I'm planning on cramming English all day, but at this stage, I'm not sure what I can do. Oh well.

same tomoro is gonna be all about english!!!

History dictatorship and democracy predictions anyone? :)

• Advertisement

I'd say Propaganda or a Weimar Germany/Britain comparison is most likely.

Stalins always a safe choice, as in his internal/external policies. He's only not come up like once, maybe twice, if I'm correct

Stalins always a safe choice, as in his internal/external policies. He's only not come up like once, maybe twice, if I'm correct

Am I right in saying that Mussolini is widely tipped this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

How much study do ye guys do each day?

Not that I've heard of but I'm studying him anyway!

Propaganda, British Economy and Russia are the big ones.

If Mussolini comes up it will likely be in a characteristics of fascism question, I believe or with another dictator...

How much study do ye guys do each day?

Six hours with about ten breaks!

Am I the only one completely leaving out Britain and France for Dictatorship and Democracy? I actually can't study them I find them really boring.

Am I the only one completely leaving out Britain and France for Dictatorship and Democracy? I actually can't study them I find them really boring.

France is unlikely to be up. I agree they are boring as hell....

• Advertisement

I know that I should know the answer to this but what's the difference between the Anglo Irish treaty and Anglo Irish relations? :/

Advertisement