Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

study13 wrote: »
    for comparative how many paragraphs are you meant to have for cultural context and for theme and issue???

It's your longest answer on paper 2 so id say 6 a4s min. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I did 3 and a half pages in my mock, 3 texts. 48 marks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭study13

yeah you guys are right its quality not quantity - i was just making sure how long it should be or how much the examiner is expecting from us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    Which enzyme experiment do you reckon?

For Mahon these are the questions I've come across:
    "People and places in his distinctive style"
    "Compassionate and personal, yet universal, expressed in a unique and varied style"
    "Everyday experiences of ordinary people"
    "His dark vision of life is conveyed in interesting and atmospheric poems"

For Bishop:
    "Interesting questions delivered by unique style"
    "Give the text of a talk in which you explain your reaction to Bishops themes and whats interesting about her style"
    "She explores tensions and conflicts in an intensely descriptive style"
    "She is concerned with relationships and the depth of human experience"
    "She explores people and places in poems full of vivid imagery"
    Imobilising it(however you spell it) ...oh fukc.. that's so much for poetry..! Think ill be repeating aaaah fml :(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    Imobilising it(however you spell it) ...oh fukc.. that's so much for poetry..! Think ill be repeating aaaah fml :(

Okay cool, thanks :)
    Yeah I really do not like the poetry section, so much learning to be done for it! Most of Mahon and Bishops questions are style orientated but they're just the few I've come across on both of them. Haha don't panic, you will get there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Yeah I have a feeling they will put on the immobilising enzyme experiment.
    It's not too bad really but we'll see. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leaving Cert Problems

All my class does 4-5 pages and we are all doing quite good in the comparative. It's all about content and the way you answer the question , not the quantity! I hate how people think the more pages you do the better you will do as that is so wrong.

Yeah, I got 50 marks in my mock for my comparative and I wrote maybe just around four pages.
    My teacher is a well experienced corrector and as she tell us when we ask her how much we should be writing it is the department of education laying down these guidelines not myself or anyone else.
    But it is indeed about quantity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah, I got 50 marks in my mock for my comparative and I wrote maybe just around four pages.
    My teacher is a well experienced corrector and as she tell us when we ask her how much we should be writing it is the department of education laying down these guidelines not myself or anyone else.
    But it is indeed about quantity.

The Department of Education have nothing to do with the exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

There is no way that 7/8 pages is needed for the comparative question. I would usually write 4 and a half pages, at most 5 for mine, and I get in the 60 marks often. If you answer the question properly and have good comparison between your chosen texts, you can't be marked down 'because of quantity'. Saying this, 2 pages won't get you too far, as there is no way you would have given enough detail/points/comparison in your answer being that short. However, ones size of writing must also be taken into account..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

You all make interesting points on how much to write for the comparitive. I would agree that 3-4 pages is leaving yourself short, but on the other hand there is no set amount it is whether you deal with (in reasonable detail) a certain amount of points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 RoisinMD

so my teacher never did an exam paper comparative question...
    anyone have any examples?
    doing purple hib, sive, im not scared
    cheers

Does anyone know what percentage the firld study for geography is? I expect I got at least 18 in that and think ill get a C1 or B3 in the written?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Does anyone know what percentage the firld study for geography is? I expect I got at least 18 in that and think ill get a C1 or B3 in the written?

20% of your overall grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

RoisinMD wrote: »
    so my teacher never did an exam paper comparative question...
    anyone have any examples?
    doing purple hib, sive, im not scared
    cheers

Neither did ours, once you can do an essay just be pragmatic on the day and try and tie the question in with the first line of each paragraph + intro + conclusion.

Take the same approach in history if you do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Field Study is 20% of the overall exam :)
    I'm expecting close to full marks too, If i dont then nearly falling into that river over an orange wasnt worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Don't let the wording of the questions fool you, usually you can manipulate your answers to suit the questions, seeing as they look for how you connected with the text. For Mahon for example:

"Compassionate and personal, yet universal, expressed in a unique and varied style"

In every one of those statements you can reference how he takes the form of another person in his poetry, its a distinctive style. It's unique. He talks about ordinary people (Antarctica, Granfather) as well as being dark (The self sacrifice in Antarctica, the current predicament of Bruce Ismay in Titanic). That's how I tend to approach poetry, I'm far from a 600 pointer (or 500 for that matter) but it helps me to understand it all and I got a low B in my Mahon question. Hope I help.

shootie wrote: »
    Don't let the wording of the questions fool you, usually you can manipulate your answers to suit the questions, seeing as they look for how you connected with the text. For Mahon for example:

In every one of those statements you can reference how he takes the form of another person in his poetry, its a distinctive style. It's unique. He talks about ordinary people (Antarctica, Granfather) as well as being dark (The self sacrifice in Antarctica, the current predicament of Bruce Ismay in Titanic). That's how I tend to approach poetry, I'm far from a 600 pointer (or 500 for that matter) but it helps me to understand it all and I got a low B in my Mahon question. Hope I help.
    Thank you so much that really helps! :) Any pointers on how to approach Macbeth?? I really need a c1 :( paper one will be perfect I hope..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NGA_LuAbu

ray2012 wrote: »
    I just have a feeling if they put up incomplete it will be that method. I'd much prefer the other method though! :P

But no, I want a published account!! :(

Yeah I meant to say published as well but I really don't like them! It's just the notes really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Are my class literally the only ones doing My Sisters Keeper for comparative? Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sarahke

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    20% of your overall grade.

My teacher tried explaining about this. There's something about the higher you get in the written the less the field trip is worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Question on the comparative while we're at it - how often do you compare? Like is three per paragraph (introduce text 1, bring in text 2, then compare both with Text 3) by four paragraphs enough or should I be aiming to include more?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

What's everyones predictions for Geog?

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Field Study is 20% of the overall exam :)
    I'm expecting close to full marks too, If i dont then nearly falling into that river over an orange wasnt worth it.
    Hahahahhaha love it..gallous!! A girl on ours literally spent her day on the ground..pennies shoes hey.

Hahahahhaha love it..gallous!! A girl on ours literally spent her day on the ground..pennies shoes hey.

I literally did fall face first into the water with one of the teachers phones in my hand...

peekachoo wrote: »
    I literally did fall face first into the water with one of the teachers phones in my hand...
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh no!!... iphone and all I bet?? Did ye all do the erosion study ya??

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh no!!... iphone and all I bet?? Did ye all do the erosion study ya??

no thank god it was a blockia :P yep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

barry194 wrote: »
    What's everyones predictions for Geog?

Physical:
    Isostacy
    Volcanoes,
    Plate boundaries
    Igneous rocks
    Landform of Erosion
    Feature of Chemical Weathering
    Earthquake with reference to case study
    Human interaction with rock cycle.

Regional :
    Map of Ireland/European Region
    Changing boundaries of Subcontinental
    Subcontinental Culture
    Population distribution of European region
    Irish development Secondary Sector
    European Secondary/tertiary.
    Effects of Enlargement of EU
    Tertiary Sector of an Subcontinental.

Geoecology :
    Characteristics of a Biome
    Human Impact on a biome.
    Characteristics of Brown Earth Soils.
    Soil forming processes.

Physical:
    Isostacy
    Volcanoes,
    Plate boundaries
    Igneous rocks
    Landform of Erosion

Regional :
    Subcontinental Culture
    Irish development Primary/Secondary Sector

Geoecology :
    Human Impact on a biome.
    Soil forming processes.
    I like you Tommy..just what my predictions are too. LOL :P do you have an isotasy essay floating around?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ladyeire101

I like you Tommy..just what my predictions are too. LOL :P do you have an isotasy essay floating around?

Similar predictions..but a lot of this years predictions came up in 2011 (physical) we can't get their full paper either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sarahke

Physical:
    Isostacy
    Volcanoes,
    Plate boundaries
    Igneous rocks
    Landform of Erosion
    Feature of Chemical Weathering

Regional :
    Subcontinental Culture
    Irish development Primary/Secondary Sector

Geoecology :
    Human Impact on a biome.
    Soil forming processes.

What do you mean by changing boundaries?

Advertisement