Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Police Tape Chalk Line

I'll say Plath, because EVERYONE thought she was going to come up last year and she didn't. Same thing happened a few years ago (about 3) with Eavan Boland, everyone thought she was coming up in 2010 (I think), and she didn't, then she came up in 2011. Everyone was expecting Plath last year and she didn't come up, therefore, she will come up for us. I think possible Wordsworth (hasn't come up, like ever!), Shakespeare (hasn't come up since 2002, I think?), Hopkins (last time he came up was 2004, I think?), and then maybe Mahon, or Bishop (hopefully not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I'll say Plath, because EVERYONE thought she was going to come up last year and she didn't. Same thing happened a few years ago (about 3) with Eavan Boland, everyone thought she was coming up in 2010 (I think), and she didn't, then she came up in 2011. Everyone was expecting Plath last year and she didn't come up, therefore, she will come up for us. I think possible Wordsworth (hasn't come up, like ever!), Shakespeare (hasn't come up since 2002, I think?), Hopkins (last time he came up was 2004, I think?), and then maybe Mahon, or Bishop (hopefully not).

If the department is really trying to screw with the predictions, they probably won't put Plath on the paper. Then again, they might assume that most people are thinking like that, and put Plath on the paper just to throw the people who assume they won't now just to throw us.

You really can't predict any more, especially not with English. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy Please read this before trying to predict what will come up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

we have done Plath Hopkins Wordsworth Mahon and Shakespeare , our teacher reckons 4 out of that 5 will come up .. Cultural Context and Theme issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I did my Leaving Cert. last year and I just want to say one thing about predictions (especially for English)..

If you guys experienced the tension, disbelief and the amount of people who were genuinely shocked and upset that Plath and Heaney weren't listed on the Prescribed poetry you would see that Predictions do not work.

For a lot of people it was the worst moment they could of imagined and it was awful to see so many people miss out on their course because of making that mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Imagine a paper with Kinsella, Hopkins, Wordsworth and Shakespeare.

:eek:

0mega wrote: »
    Imagine a paper with Kinsella, Hopkins, Wordsworth and Shakespeare.

:eek:

There will always be a Female poet though, that would be a terrible combination! I had Kinsella as my 3rd backup last year incase Rich didn't come up, thank god she did or I would have definitely not gotten an A1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There wont always be a female poet though. Wouldn't be surprising if they broke that pattern this year at all.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    There wont always be a female poet though. Wouldn't be surprising if they broke that pattern this year at all.

bet you 20euro patch bbz xxx

you're bound to owe it back to me sooner or later ;)

• Advertisement

I think I already owe you it.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you look at the papers over the last few years you can no longer predict what's coming up. Like if you want your course put in the year period. It's one year that dictates the reason of your life do it properly

Agreed - if you haven't seen the 2012 papers yet, try and predict them by looking at the rest. You won't be right. I'm not trying to sound like a spoilsport or something, the opposite, it's an awful feeling when your questions don't come up and it costs you a grade! Though I imagine no one will ever listen to this advice, I mean it is nice to predict and somewhat narrow it down but inevitably you'll end up relying on certain questions which is never good.

I took a chance for my Christmas tests and learnt 2 out of 5 poets. Neither came up. I actually felt sick when I looked at the paper. I managed to bluff my way through a Mahon essay though, so my result didn't suffer too much :)

You could always just learn five poets, and that way your guaranteed one to be one the paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I took a chance for my Christmas tests and learnt 2 out of 5 poets. Neither came up. I actually felt sick when I looked at the paper. I managed to bluff my way through a Mahon essay though, so my result didn't suffer too much :)

You could always just learn five poets, and that way your guaranteed one to be one the paper?

:rolleyes:

It requires more effort than that ;)
    But yeah, I've 5 done so no worries for me.

ray2012 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

It requires more effort than that ;)
    But yeah, I've 5 done so no worries for me.

And as students, we hate effort :P

I'm hoping to have five done perfectly by the time Paper 2 comes around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

For English, I've a funny feeling Mahon will come up, and possibly Rich because I heard she died last year or something. After that I'd say Shakespeare and Plath and/or Bishop, and after that there's a fairly equal chance with the rest of them.

For Irish, I'd say An Tóstal 2013 could come up somewhere, either as an aiste topic or in a comprehension. Other aiste topic predictions I have are ginmhilleadh, Cluichí Oilimpeacha and I'm sort of just hoping that An Córas Oideachais will be there :P Seeing as the Irish course is still in its youth, prose and poetry is hard to predict, but I'll go with either Dís or Hurlamaboc for prose and, I don't know, Géibheann for poetry? I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a fast one and put An tEarrach Thiar on again, to be honest.

I'll offer palm readings if I get any of this right :P

My prediction for English poets are:

Derek Mahon
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Gerard Manley Hopkins
    William Wordsworth

Mahon & Bishop will definitely be the two I'll be spending most time on anyway. I'll know Plath & Rich well too but I don't think either of them will come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Derek Mahon
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Gerard Manley Hopkins
    William Wordsworth

Mahon & Bishop will definitely be the two I'll be spending most time on anyway. I'll know Plath & Rich well too but I don't think either of them will come up.

That'd be almost perfect for me, 3/4 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Derek Mahon
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Gerard Manley Hopkins
    William Wordsworth

Plath died in 1963, this year will be here fiftieth anniversary... IMO, one of Plath or Bishop will almost certainly be there.

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Plath died in 1963, this year will be here fiftieth anniversary... IMO, one of Plath or Bishop will almost certainly be there.

I think they won't put her on because of all the furore last year about her, people will be expecting her even more this year.

Everyone last year was saying that because Rich died after the Exams were set (She died in April, exams are set in November) that she wouldn't be there because they were set before she died. Turns out she was on the paper anyway and very few had studied her because of that specific reason. Anyway i'm not making much sense, but I don't think the people who set the exam take into account the whole thing of 'it's 30 years since this poet died' blah blah blah. I honestly think everything is just randomly selected in a lottery or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shauna...

any other predictions for economic leaving 2013 or mocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

The English department are trying to screw students over I know that the poets most predicted to come up for the past 2 years haven't come up! DON'T RELY ON PREDICTIONS, not because the poets expected to come up may or may not appear, they won't appear, simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TripShip

My teacher is saying it'll be plath, bishop, Mahon and Shakespeare

This.

TripShip wrote: »
    This.

My teacher wanted to completely leave out Shakespeare! I had to convince her otherwise, since it'd be lovely to have him done if he came up. So now she's going to do him.

Relying on English predictions this year is risky business. As tempting as this thread is making it, I still think I'm going to just bite the bullet and prepare five poets well enough to cover my ass. With any luck, I'll still get one of the ones I'm stronger with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Beccarina

fontdor wrote: »
    Very helpful and great answer. Great tips too! How exactly can one study for English? any ideas?

If you need any tips on english, i suggest checking out leavingcertenglish.net! My english teacher set it up and she is an unreal teacher in my opinion, and the notes on her website help me so hopefully they will help you and others :)
    Let me know what you think of it if you do check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Beccarina

Trying to predict English is like trying to predict what will happen tomorrow - you can't :L I would advise anyone sitting honours English to learn at least 3 poets really well so your covered :) and also have a back up poet!

Beccarina wrote: »
    Trying to predict English is like trying to predict what will happen tomorrow - you can't :L I would advise anyone sitting honours English to learn at least 3 poets really well so your covered :) and also have a back up poet!

The only way to be fully covered is do five!

• Advertisement

Tbh it's not that difficult to predict. Maybe if you're relying on one poet but you're bound to get 1/3 that you think will come up at the very least..

Everyone put all their eggs in Plath's basket last year.

Advertisement