Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 padraig100

ok thanks, i was told you dont get them taken off (by a teacher in grinds school) but maybe she was talking about the oraid/alt??

i thought the same as david? i'm likely to be wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

David1994 wrote: »
    Our teacher told us that it was perfectly acceptable to write it like an essay :confused:
    He said that there were no marks going for the actual structure....Please tell me is not wrong?

Okay, it isn't wise to take Irish advice of me BUT, isn't the marks as follows: 20 for inforamtion, 80 for Irish?
    So there is no marks for structure. However, Why would they break them up into Debates, essays, alts etc if you didn't need the correct format.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Anyone one else excited for biology? I love it so much, hoping for an A :D
    immobilized enzymes experiment and bacteria is what I'm hearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

.. Really? I was always told that if you don't have the proper structure (i.e debate opening/closing), that you would lose marks. It doesn't make sense if someone DOESN'T lose marks, when they write a debate as an essay? If they didn't take off any marks what would be the point in even having a debate question on the paper?

Why would people bother learning off debate openings/closings/rebuttles if they weren't necessary?

I'm not 100% on this at all, but my teacher mentioned it, and also it doesn't make sense not including them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Anyone predictions been tipped on questions in Patterns and Processes in Human Environment elective in Geography?

Overpopulation comes up every second year so there is a good chance of that coming up and also I was told christaller's model/central place theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

For home Ec, besides lipids what is everyone focusing on for the long questions?

Luize wrote: »

Yeah! I did some random paper there and got 98% ! there is actually a lot of choice in it really! Hopefully the genetics question is nice this year!
    Em, the experiments are very unpredictable- Best to do them all! :D
    The only stuff i don't like is the Plant Biology

Luize wrote: »

Immobilized enzymes, growth of leaf yeast/IAA, and a mixture of different experiments is what I'm predicting!

I'm hoping it's a nice paper so I can do well, hoping for a B2 or so!

For biology I'm just hoping to pass it at this stage! Would love to do well in it though! :( Just don't get the subject at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Yeah! I did some random paper there and got 98% ! there is actually a lot of choice in it really! Hopefully the genetics question is nice this year!

I'm in the same boat! Plant biology is just ugh :eek: love the rest though can't wait to do it in college :D

Jade. wrote: »
    For biology I'm just hoping to pass it at this stage! Would love to do well in it though! :( Just don't get the subject at all!

That's like me for chemistry.. :o I can't understand chemistry at all, I find it horrible. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Our teacher told us that it was perfectly acceptable to write it like an essay :confused:
    He said that there were no marks going for the actual structure....Please tell me is not wrong?

As far as I know you lose 20 marks automatically if you haven't got the debate format, so our teacher said anyway.
    It is basically like an essay, just remember to address the audience at the beginning, state your subject/topic and whether you are for or against, then just remember to address the audience at various times throughout. As you close say 'thats all I have now, I hope the debate got you thinking', etc..

Yeah its great! Wow 98%! what did you get it your mock?
    I'm still going through all the exam paper questions and then I have two mock papers that I'm gonna do to test myself and then just frantically read over the entire book right before the exam :D I really wish bio was before Irish paper 2 though

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭stew.z.ger

lc_2013 wrote: »
    Yeah hopefully, we got this! No I applied for Nursing, I'm doing 6 subjects. Are you just doing Irish?

Yep.. just doing Irish.. I've nearly finished my degree then want to do the HDip in Primary Teaching..

Best of luck to you..
    Remember.. whatever is ment for you, won't pass you by :D

I usually always do the debate in Irish, so I'm just wondering for the essay, would you have an introduction paragraph where you kind of say that it's a controversial topic and then do you mention the points you are going to discuss?

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    As far as I know you lose 20 marks automatically if you haven't got the debate format, so our teacher said anyway.
    It is basically like an essay, just remember to address the audience at the beginning, state your subject/topic and whether you are for or against, then just remember to address the audience at various times throughout. As you close say 'thats all I have now, I hope the debate got you thinking', etc..

To my knowledge, it was 5 marks for structure. I may be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I dunno really but I think patterns of migration in past 100 years in Ireland might come up and maybe settlement/historical settlement patterns?
    Now that I think of it overpopulation may come up but it is fairly hard to call! :L

Have you gone over the different land use models? I really need to go back over them,haven't done them in ages :P

We have never done elective geography at school because the teacher was out for months so i really dont know what to look over. We only covered regional and Physical xD

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

To my knowledge, it was 5 marks for structure. I may be wrong though

It may well be! Teachers are very likely to exaggerate to scare you off :P

If Bishop and Plath come up, I'm doing bishop!

Do people think that most students will avoid Plath in case she doesn't come up? She was my favourite as Mental Illness has affected my family so I found her story and poetry fascinating. Would be a dream to write on her.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Irish Essays, seen as it's 80% for Gaeilge, can you just write anything ang get 80%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Trust me I completely understand how stupid it sounds to have debates,speeches,essays etc. on the paper but being able to write just like an essay! :P
    I am just going on the information giving by our teacher who we have asked a lot about this particular uncertainty. I really do not want to be caught out for something stupid in the exam so I have a debate opening and closing learnt off just in case.
    Fairly misleading information given to us as usual seeing as a few on this forum were told there were no marks going for structure either.

it has to be relavent to the topic unfortunately! its the gaeilge on the topic that your marked on, not just general vocab! :/

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    We have never done elective geography at school because the teacher was out for months so i really dont know what to look over. We only covered regional and Physical xD

I'm sure you've already thought of this possibility but the economic elective closely links to business so you should check that out if you're stuck

Lads we should all be studying right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Do people think that most students will avoid Plath in case she doesn't come up? She was my favourite as Mental Illness has affected my family so I found her story and poetry fascinating. Would be a dream to write on her.

If I have a choice on the day between Plath and another poet I learned (hopefully) I'll avoid plath seeing as most of the country will do you if she comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

stew.z.ger wrote: »
    Yep.. just doing Irish.. I've nearly finished my degree then want to do the HDip in Primary Teaching..

Best of luck to you..
    Remember.. whatever is ment for you, won't pass you by :D

Good luck to you too, I'm sure it'll go great, best off not to panic and what happens, happens.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RoisinMD

please tell me i am not the only one on here who is feeling more relaxed now than I was a few weeks ago ( even though this is the panic week) dont get me wrong I havent done huge amounts..but little bits at a time! now does anyone have any OL physics pred? had to drop after 2 months of school spent in hospital etc.

ray2012 wrote: »
    That's like me for chemistry.. :o I can't understand chemistry at all, I find it horrible. :confused:

I'm just not a science person! :O I only got 40% in my pre hoping to try and push it up a few grades though as my study for the pre consisted of night before cramming! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

If Bishop and Plath come up, I'm doing bishop!

Remember : only 1 female poet comes up

Advertisement